Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2021 6:14:34 PM EDT
New upper,10.5" I had picked up and stashed away for a rainy day. When I went to put the bolt carrier in, it has some bind about half way in. Well lubed, and can shove it on in with moderate thumb pressure. At full draw and let go, it will pick up a round out of magazine and chamber no problem.  Question is, how much drag should one tolerate before changing to a new upper receiver?
Is it a bomb waiting to go off, or just an annoyance?
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 6:19:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you sure it isn't getting caught up on the gas tube?
I've had a couple that did that and adjusted it into the right place now they're smooth.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 6:27:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Not gas tube, way too far back when it starts binding. Carrier only half way in at most...
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 8:56:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Okay.
Have you tried a different bcg and it still does it?
If so, I'd say contact the company you bought it from and see if they can do anything for you.
I saw last week some blem stripped uppers at bcm and they were $90!
Prices have gone crazy!
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 11:20:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Okay.
Have you tried a different bcg and it still does it?
If so, I'd say contact the company you bought it from and see if they can do anything for you.
I saw last week some blem stripped uppers at bcm and they were $90!
Prices have gone crazy!
View Quote

So, I tried the different bcg as you sugested, no difference.
Fortunately, I have a couple of stripped uppers for spares, I was collecting parts for the last few years for other projects. Thats where the upper in question came in, it's been in the closet for two years, so I doubt any help would be forthcoming from the vendor.

I'll run it a while and see what happens. Don't really want to waste parts now, in this crunch...Thanks..
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 7:23:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Might be worth putting it together and hand cycling it a bunch of times. Pull it apart and inspect it for wear or shiny spots to see where the issue is. Could be bad forging or could be bad finish. Might be worth the effort.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 11:11:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Is it possible that the forward assist pawl is sticking out into the interior of the receiver? Can you see any deformation within the upper when you shine a light through it?
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 8:09:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top