Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/3/2020 5:36:41 PM EDT
Hello,  this is an AO Precision BCG that I picked up from a buddy.  Has anyone ever seen a very rough, almost pitted surface on a carrier before?  Is this something I should be concerned about?  Thanks

Link Posted: 5/3/2020 5:57:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Ugly but non issue.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 6:00:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tigwelder1971:
Ugly but non issue.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/3/2020 6:02:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hello,  this is an AO Precision BCG that I picked up from a buddy.  Has anyone ever seen a very rough, almost pitted surface on a carrier before?  Is this something I should be concerned about?  Thanks

https://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z187/mnm5672007/Mobile%20Uploads/5E366249-89BB-4757-BE0C-94827D96B5A7.jpeg

https://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z187/mnm5672007/Mobile%20Uploads/9D9EAAE8-04B5-4577-ADEB-F3865E4595C9.jpeg
View Quote

My PSA premium carrier looks like that.

I was told it is a result of shot peening=stress relieving the steel.

My carrier is doing swell with no problems thus far and the receiver is not showing signs of excessive wear either.

YMMV
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 9:40:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Moto-M187:

My PSA premium carrier looks like that.

I was told it is a result of OVER shot peening=stress relieving the steel.

My carrier is doing swell with no problems thus far and the receiver is not showing signs of excessive wear either.

YMMV
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 9:33:05 AM EDT
[#5]

I was told it is a result of shot peening=stress relieving the steel.

My carrier is doing swell with no problems thus far and the receiver is not showing signs of excessive wear either.

YMMV
View Quote

Thanks guys!  That's the confidence I need.  I didn't want to trash an upper receiver especially since I hadn't seen one this rough before.  I'll shoot with confidence.  
Matt
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 11:17:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By mnm567:

Thanks guys!  That's the confidence I need.  I didn't want to trash an upper receiver especially since I hadn't seen one this rough before.  I'll shoot with confidence.  
Matt
View Quote

Carrier dies does not make contact in that area. Worry not.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 2:41:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Carrier dies not make contact in that area. Worry not.
View Quote

It was actually that rough along the bottom and top contact rails of the carrier.  I may smooth them out.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 2:58:44 PM EDT
[#8]

It was actually that rough along the bottom and top contact rails of the carrier.  I may smooth them out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Carrier dies not make contact in that area. Worry not.

It was actually that rough along the bottom and top contact rails of the carrier.  I may smooth them out.

"Dies/does", nice fat finger on my part.  

As for the rails, its hard to see on my phone. If the machined rails are that rough,  I WOULD  have an issue with it. Even with generous lube you risk chewing up the upper receiver, IMO. As for the body, no worries, cosmetic only.

Whose BCG? I'd be contacting them. I wouldn't mess with the carrier rails at a risk of removing enough metal to penetrate the park personally.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 3:33:49 PM EDT
[#9]
AO Precision and yes the rails are that rough.  That’s my main concern.  I’m not worried about the rest of the carrier being rough.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 3:48:48 PM EDT
[#10]
AO Precision and yes the rails are that rough.  That’s my main concern.  I’m not worried about the rest of the carrier being rough.
View Quote

Damn, my AOs look perfect.

I'd contact the vendor.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 1:30:55 PM EDT
[#11]
My advice is to go shoot it and see how it looks. My guess though is that your upper will obviously show a lot of wear due to the rough edges but eventually it'll "smooth out" and the wearing stops.

I think the most important place is the inside of the carrier. Is the inside smooth chrome with no roughness where the bolt and cam are sliding? That's the hardest spot on the carrier where the cam pin is moving the bolt and the gas pressure is built up on the bolt's piston. I also think the hammer area under the carrier may wear the surface off on the hammer face. Again non-issue as it will settle over time, but it will be an unsightly area.

Personally I would try to give that back. No reason you shouldn't have a nice, smooth carrier. I don't think it would be a problem, per say. But this isn't the military where you're given something and told to deal with it. You can pick and choose all you want.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 3:19:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By dalle0001:
My advice is to go shoot it and see how it looks. My guess though is that your upper will obviously show a lot of wear due to the rough edges but eventually it'll "smooth out" and the wearing stops.

Personally I would try to give that back.
View Quote

Conflicting statements.

Also, aluminum < steel....the receiver will not "smooth out" the carrier rails much/if at all.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 9:57:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Conflicting statements.

Also, aluminum < steel....the receiver will not "smooth out" the carrier rails much/if at all.
View Quote

I never said that. Also, the statements are not conflicting at all. I do recommend that he go shoot it, but if it is that bothersome to him, he shouldn't settle just to have a BCG when there are plenty of ones that are smooth out there for the same price range.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 10:55:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Nvrmnd

Link Posted: 5/6/2020 11:24:24 PM EDT
[#15]

View All Quotes

I was told it is a result of OVER shot peening=stress relieving the steel.

YMMV

That area is not to shot peened . . .

In fact no area on the carrier is to be shot peened.

Looks to me like it was left in the Park bath too long or the solution was too strong.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 7:53:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By lysanderxiii:

That area is not to shot peened . . . 

In fact no area on the carrier is to be shot peened.

Looks to me like it was left in the Park bath too long or the solution was too strong.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lysanderxiii:

I was told it is a result of OVER shot peening=stress relieving the steel.

YMMV

That area is not to shot peened . . . 

In fact no area on the carrier is to be shot peened.

Looks to me like it was left in the Park bath too long or the solution was too strong.

Possibly, I am unfamiliar with park solutions, I am assuming that they are corrosive to a degree, etching the steel?

It sure looks to be aggressively media blasted at minimum and does not appear to be even close to the 125 surface finish called for.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:10:12 PM EDT
[#17]
The rails appear pretty rough. It will wear your receiver that way.
You may be able to smooth them out but if you take too much off then it will be undersize.
I would have to see it in person to make a call.
Its hard to really tell from the pictures how rough the rails are.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:56:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Madmotorhead:
The rails appear pretty rough. It will wear your receiver that way.
You may be able to smooth them out but if you take too much off then it will be undersize.
I would have to see it in person to make a call.
Its hard to really tell from the pictures how rough the rails are.
View Quote

I was concerned about the rough rails as well and the possible damage it could do to the receiver.  So I took a little of it off on the rails to smooth it out.  Normal use will take some off anyway.  They are pretty smooth now.  

Cycling the BCG with the charging handle seems smooth.  I ran it at the range the other day without any type of issues.  I bought this from a buddy who picked it up from RTB when they were running that blow out price.  That’s been some time ago.  If I encounter any types of issues, I’ll keep everyone posted.  Thanks!!!
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 5:10:58 PM EDT
[#19]
That is ugly.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top