Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/28/2023 11:19:58 PM EDT
How’s quality with BCA? Debating on buying a lower and upper from them for an AR9.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 12:16:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a 45acp BCA rifle that works fine, shoots well. I also have a 9mm side charging upper on a PSA lower, uses Glock mags. if you go that route, be sure to add shims to the buffer spring so the bcg doesn't bottom out.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 12:23:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Savageman:
How’s quality with BCA? Debating on buying a lower and upper from them for an AR9.
View Quote

Same QC crapshoot as ever.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 9:36:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

Same QC crapshoot as ever.
View Quote

What do you mean? I don’t have experience with ARs so not sure if BCA is good.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 9:37:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By olscruffy:
I have a 45acp BCA rifle that works fine, shoots well. I also have a 9mm side charging upper on a PSA lower, uses Glock mags. if you go that route, be sure to add shims to the buffer spring so the bcg doesn't bottom out.
View Quote

I’m very new to ARs and not sure what you mean about the shims.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 10:32:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Blowback9] [#5]
I think he is referring to the fact that a 9mm bolt will overtravel rearward if you use a carbine-length buffer.  9mm bolts are 3/4" shorter than AR-15 BCG and so need a spacer in the back of the buffer tube when using the old style carbine-length (3.25") 9mm buffer.  Otherwise you could damage or break the bolt catch.  Most folks now just use an extended (4") 9mm buffer.

All the details... What 9mm buffer do I need??? (and spring)

Check out the rest of the site to answer all your 9mm AR questions... Blowback9.com
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 3:54:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Savageman:

I’m very new to ARs and not sure what you mean about the shims.
View Quote

with just the buffer & spring, the side charging handle would come back far enough to strike the back of the slot it moves in.  Some makers use a spacer. I just put 7 quarters under the buffer spring to have the bolt stop at the right place.  I like BCA, but they could have noted on the webpage that Buffer Spring May Need 'A Spacer.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 6:48:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Better to get a proper 9mm buffer that is 4"ish in length than adding a spacer behind a carbine buffer.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 2:45:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By olscruffy:

with just the buffer & spring, the side charging handle would come back far enough to strike the back of the slot it moves in.  Some makers use a spacer. I just put 7 quarters under the buffer spring to have the bolt stop at the right place.  I like BCA, but they could have noted on the webpage that Buffer Spring May Need 'A Spacer.
View Quote

OP.....whatever you do, DON'T stick quarters in a buffer tube.

This is hack/bubba type of shit.

There are plenty of 9mm buffers that are manufactured for the proper length to prevent over travel, and they will help control the blow back recoil action depending on the weight you choose.

OR just buy the correct 9mm spacer if you choose to not use a 9mm length buffer.

All this is discussed in the various threads/links at the top of the thread list with the stickies.

Link Posted: 1/21/2024 3:50:10 PM EDT
[#9]
BCA AR9 Upper is my next purchase also.  I'm buying one without hesitation, as their 22LR & 7.62x39 Uppers run 100% for me, NO problems at all.  I plan on the correct buffer purchase, my glock mags, and Stern's Mag Adapter for one of my lowers.  I only started buying BCA Uppers in August this past year, so far have 3 to date.  I use the CORRECT mags for both the 22lr and 7.62, mil spec triggers, H2 buffer in the 7.62, gives me 100% functioning with everything I feed it!
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top