Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/19/2024 7:28:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JThompson]
Prepping for an 12.5 upper build primarily as dedicated for suppressor.
Do enjoy rapid fire and BA Hanson barrel seem like a good concept.
Thinking of buying one but also notice a number of them for sale on EE.  Are people not happy with them?

Also, why are they doing a 12.3 instead of 12.5???
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 9:48:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a 13.7 carbine barrel that shoots less than moa with Black Hills 55gr.    I tried to adjust the gas down to make it shoot softly, but it's still sharper in recoil than some other longer midlength barrels.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 3:15:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BhamAR] [#2]
Originally Posted By JThompson:
Prepping for an 12.5 upper build primarily as dedicated for suppressor.
Do enjoy rapid fire and BA Hanson barrel seem like a good concept.
Thinking of buying one but also notice a number of them for sale on EE.  Are people not happy with them?

Also, why are they doing a 12.3 instead of 12.5???
View Quote

12.3 extends less passed the handguard and gives it a better final product look.  Much prefer the .3 barrels.

I’ve done a large number of builds with Hanson profile barrels.

It’s the only barrel of BA’s I will use.

I’ve never had a problem from one, ever.

Internet will bring back instances of problems, but there’s so many of them out there of course some had issues.

I think the a Hanson profile with a pinned gas block is probably the best bang for the buck on the market, if you price shop them correctly.

I’ve moved on to Wilson Combat & DD  barrels for my personal builds, but when I help friends, still often use a Hanson.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 4:26:44 PM EDT
[#3]
B Kings Firearms often has them at a really good price.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 5:05:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had a Hanson or two and been happy. However, I'd go Criterion Core over it any day if it fits your budget. Great balance, much higher likelihood of better accuracy, chrome lined, etc.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 6:04:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Missed the note about the Hanson barrel having a pinned gas block.
The plan is to use an AGB.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 8:00:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: s4s4u] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

It comes with a gas block and pin, hole drilled, I believe.  You could use another gas block, but then you still have that hole there albeit covered up.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 8:17:09 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

I recently bought a Hanson performance 16 that came with the pinned gas block. I just put the Aero AGB on it that I already had and no problems. I just saved the block, tube and pin that came with it JIC.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 10:14:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BhamAR] [#8]
Originally Posted By spyderboy03:
I've had a Hanson or two and been happy. However, I'd go Criterion Core over it any day if it fits your budget. Great balance, much higher likelihood of better accuracy, chrome lined, etc.
View Quote

I would imagine someone looking at spending $140 on barrel didn’t pick it because they thought it was superior to one that cost 235% more money.

Of course Criterion barrels are better, but you’re paying for it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 10:43:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By BhamAR:

I would imagine someone looking at spending $140 on barrel didn’t pick it because they thought it was superior to one that cost 235% more money.

Of course Criterion barrels are better, but you’re paying for it.
View Quote

Probably why he said "if it fits your budget".
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 1:10:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 2:16:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Stowe:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BhamAR:

I would imagine someone looking at spending $140 on barrel didn't pick it because they thought it was superior to one that cost 235% more money.

Of course Criterion barrels are better, but you're paying for it.

Exactly. 5 years ago I was all about buying good enough parts and having a bunch of guns. I've recently switched that mindset and have started reducing the number of guns to increase the quality of the ones I have, in addition to adding suppressors and hopefully night vision in the near future.

OP didn't give a budget but was curious about the barrel contour. I really like the Hanson contour, but think the Core is hands down a better barrel with a fantastic contour. If that's the budget, it's worth trying. If the OP can afford higher, I'd skip it and go Core.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 2:21:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BhamAR] [#12]

View Quote

I saw that too.  Just didn’t quite understand the reach of someone looking at a Mazada B200 pickup and someone else recommending they check out a F150 Limited if it was in their budget.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 7:05:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the replies.
No one replied back indicating the Hanson barrel concept transitions to a noticeable difference over another barrels.
As a result, I am still researching.

Criterion barrels are on the short list, but if the Hanson barrel is significantly less and provides a noticeable positive shooting experience over other barrels then why bother paying more, but that doesn't seem the case in from the replies.

Not to change the topic, but I can currently researching the 10.5 vs 11.5.
Currently have one of each length and both shoot like .22s.
Probably go with another 10.5.

Plan to also go with the RifleSpeed Adjustable Gas Block as this will be suppressed 99.9% of the time and an upper with a left side charging handle.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 2:14:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stowe] [#14]
My primary gun has an 11.5" criterion core. It's a great barrel and at least in my set up, doesn't need an adjustable gas block to run a can. I used a 10.3 Hanson on my (now ex) girlfriend's gun and it worked fine, but I doubt that gun's had more than 3 magazines through it. Really can't say I have much experience with it. I have shot it with my recce 5 on it though and it didn't Gass me out (also no AGB)
Edit: If it's going to be suppressed pretty much all the time, I'd get a BRT tube or a restricted gas block over the riflespeed. You're not going to be adjusting it anyway. Granted this is assuming you even need them. I've tried turning a AGB down to suppressed only levels and I didn't notice enough improvement to justify it, but maybe I didn't go far enough.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 2:36:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Strikefirst] [#15]
Took my two newly built sbr to the range.

12.5 criterion core and 13.7 ba hanson.

Hanson was fine. Exactly what I expected.

Sold the hanson.

I loved the criterion...it shot lights out. Now have a 13.9 criterion core to replace the 13.7 ba hanson.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top