Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2018 4:39:59 PM EDT
Looking for insight as to what users of this specific barrel and using a suppressor are using as far as buffer systems. This barrel has a small diameter gas port from what I understand but I never measured mine.

I use the 12.5" BA hanson barrel with the supplied gas block and a saker 7.62 on the end. I am currently using an H3 buffer and a red spring with the suppressor on. To get it to run unsuppressed (very rare) I pull that setup and put in the regular carbine buffer and blue spring. The rifle still seems a little overgassed when suppressed, guess the saker produces a lot of back pressure.

I am wondering if there is an A5 setup I could go to that might perform well suppressed but still let the rifle function with the can off. Anybody have any insight? Not interested in adjustable gas blocks, my other suppressed guns run beautifully without them. I MAY look into a gemtech or bootleg carrier. The grendel barrel is a little different due to small gas port so im trying to find that sweet spot.

The rifle is 100% functional right now, so no complaints. Just curious if there are some other setups I could try.

And just fyi...if anybody is thinking about buying one of these barrels, I just got back from the range this morning. consistent hits at 850 with factory SST, could not connect at 950 but I ran out of holdovers on my TA31F . The wolf ammo with same zero was consistent at 550, with about 50% hits at 650. My buddy had his 5.56 and a .308 GAP rifle. He was fighting a very inconsistent wind all morning, I did not have to hold for wind hardly at all.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 5:00:17 PM EDT
[#1]
There’s lots of ways you can dick with your gas and recoil, but if it’s working reliably both suppressed and I suppressed and you’re really looking for small changes I’d wonder if the juice is worth the squeeze. My 12.5” BA 6.5G works from cheap steel to premium Hornady unsuppressed and suppressed, with just a standard gas block and buffer system. I’m not going to mess with it if it’s not broken.

In general though, I do think the A5 system is a good thing. My SBR lower has one, and its ran perfect with every upper it’s ever worn, to include home builds and factory from 10.3”-18” and .223, 7.62X39, 6.5G, and suppresses/unsuppressed. I don’t know what my experience across this spectrum would have been without the A5 I suppose, but I think it smoothes things out for both a better recoil and more reliable function.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 11:30:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Looking for insight as to what users of this specific barrel and using a suppressor are using as far as buffer systems. This barrel has a small diameter gas port from what I understand but I never measured mine.

I use the 12.5" BA hanson barrel with the supplied gas block and a saker 7.62 on the end. I am currently using an H3 buffer and a red spring with the suppressor on. To get it to run unsuppressed (very rare) I pull that setup and put in the regular carbine buffer and blue spring. The rifle still seems a little overgassed when suppressed, guess the saker produces a lot of back pressure.

I am wondering if there is an A5 setup I could go to that might perform well suppressed but still let the rifle function with the can off. Anybody have any insight? Not interested in adjustable gas blocks, my other suppressed guns run beautifully without them. I MAY look into a gemtech or bootleg carrier. The grendel barrel is a little different due to small gas port so im trying to find that sweet spot.

The rifle is 100% functional right now, so no complaints. Just curious if there are some other setups I could try.

And just fyi...if anybody is thinking about buying one of these barrels, I just got back from the range this morning. consistent hits at 850 with factory SST, could not connect at 950 but I ran out of holdovers on my TA31F . The wolf ammo with same zero was consistent at 550, with about 50% hits at 650. My buddy had his 5.56 and a .308 GAP rifle. He was fighting a very inconsistent wind all morning, I did not have to hold for wind hardly at all. .5-1moa at most when at the 850 target.
View Quote
Try the A5 and see how it goes. I’ll have mine together tomorrow... this is my first adjustable gas block (Superlative Arms) so we’ll see if I regret it. I’m hopeful it will run well from the start but i added a few other variables like the Maxim PDW brace with shorter buffer tube so I may have to tinker a bit.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 6:13:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I went with a Bootleg adjustable bolt carrier with my BA 12.5" 6.5 Grendel barrel. With a standard carbine buffer, un-supressed, it short strokes Wolf, but feeds Hornady 123gr SST and 123gr ELD Match Black factory ammo fine. LRBH though, is on the carrier, not the bolt.

I'm still waiting on my Omega 300 to come out of NFA jail and will see how it handles the Hornady ammo before doing *anything* with the gas port. I'm hoping as I get more rounds down range (180rds total through it so far) it'll limber up and I won't need to open the gas port for the Hornady loads, however I do have over 1k rds of Wolf, so may have to if I want it to feed the Wolf and any lighter loads I may conjer up from my reloading bench un-supressed (which like the OP, will be rare).

Seeing your (OP) range report at extended distances makes me confident that my assumption of future performance out of mine will be similar. Currently I get 100% hits on 12" hanging plates @220yds with the Hornady loads. Haven't shot Wolf past 100yds (yet) but feel confident as I stretch it's legs out when I get the time and a place that offers longer range targets, I'll have similar results. My local range only offers distances out to 340yds with a series of steel gongs at that distance, but hear there's a precision rifle club range just across the Red River from me in Oklahoma.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 3:38:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Well i bought the A5 tube and the standard “A2” buffer to start with. Its my deer rifle so gonna wait til after the season to change it up. Ill come back and report whenever i get it done
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top