Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/15/2021 10:33:03 AM EDT
Purchased a new atpial in December.

After the battery drained on me in the safe, I read to keep the laser off. Fair game.

After keeping the laser on the off setting I’m still noticing a battery drain.

I’ve read some people keep their batteries out of the unit when not in use. Do others have battery drain issues even when the laser is in an off setting?

Thanks

Derek
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 10:56:20 AM EDT
[#1]
There are threads all over about it in various laser devices. Many just leave the battery door loose until needed.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 1:16:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Some do and some don’t, or I should say some are worse than others as I’m sure they all exhibit drain to some extent.  For the most part you won’t find a laser that doesn’t do it, even in the “off” position.  Happens to my MAWL and have had it happen to DBALs as well.

Easiest and safest solution is to leave the battery out of it until you want to use it.  If it needs to be stored ready to go, then run a test to determine how long it takes a brand new battery to drain (do this multiple times to find a good average) and replace the battery with a fresh one on a set schedule at the 1/2 or 2/3 depleted mark.

ETA:  I should ask how much drain are you noticing in the “off” position?  There is certainly a point where I’d view the drain to be abnormal/excessive and pursue a warranty repair/exchange with L3.

Link Posted: 2/15/2021 8:11:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

ETA:  I should ask how much drain are you noticing in the “off” position?  There is certainly a point where I’d view the drain to be abnormal/excessive and pursue a warranty repair/exchange with L3.

View Quote

The new battery probably only lasted 2-3 weeks in the off position.

I put a new one in today. This post will help my document the new start time of the battery and I’ll do my best to test the laser every night after work to see how quick it drains the battery in the off position.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 10:01:32 PM EDT
[#4]
From the small sample I've tested all in that drains the battery in the off position
APTIAL
MAWL

LAMs that had no drain in the off position
D2
OTAL-C

No drain while in on mode (off mode not an option)
TLR2
TLR VIR-II
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top