Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2023 7:11:44 PM EDT
Hello,

As a new AR15 owner with slightly bad eye sight, I am finding that I am struggling with being on target with an astigmatism. Admittedly, I have not shot my AR much due to the cost of ammo, but I am finding that I am having difficulty with being able to see a red dot in the line of focus for the target.  I do not run a scope currently (just got one for black friday).  Currently have a single focus lens for distance as my up close viewing is fine to about arms length.  Waiting on a set of progressive's to come in from the eye doctor however, this seems to be the largest forums online that may hopefully yield someone similar to my current state. For background, the AR is not my primary home defense of choice so I am not too concerned with hitting something close.

Will the progressive lenses help or am I just getting set up for another set of problems? I am open to suggestions.

Regards,
AB
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 7:32:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CNC_Guy] [#1]
I have progressive lenses and if using a red dot I have to adjust the brightness to the lowest usable level. Green and amber dots are more forgiving for some reason. On the other hand I can run a red prism scope as bright as I want. I also have one pair of glasses where I had the close focus moved to arms length. It does seem to help with irons and red dots.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 7:45:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CNC_Guy:
I have progressive lenses and if using a red dot I have to adjust the brightness to the lowest usable level. Green and amber dots are more forgiving for some reason. On the other hand I can run a red prism scope as bright as I want. I also have one pair where I had the close focus moved to arms length. It does seem to help with irons and red dots.
View Quote

Bump for a new guy's OP OP.

Welcome to the zoo, hope you get a good answer.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 7:47:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Polarized lenses.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 8:30:39 PM EDT
[#4]
By your explanation, you’re near sighted (can’t see at distances) with an astigmatism.  Im in the same boat and with single corrected glasses, I still have the star burst issue with some red dots.  

Not an issue with any variable scope.
Not an issue with any illuminated scope
Eotechs are almost unusable for me.
The shorter RDS Aimpoints (T2 type) are so, so.
Any longer tube RDS like a Aimpoint Pro are not an issue.
Something like a Meprolight RDS, no issues.
Primary Arms MD-25 are GTG.
Primary Arms MD-25 with ACSS is not good.
Primary Arms SL x RDS sights with an adjustable diopter are GTG.
I have moved to more 1-4 and 1-6 scopes because I still get the 1x and the dot is perfect.
Any RDS with an etched reticle typically works well.

Trying turning down the brightness, it helps a lot.
Anything with an adjustable diopter works well.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 9:28:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got the same problem. I just got the cheapest 3x magnifier I could find just to see if it might help.  This worked for me, I got a quick release mount and move it from gun to gun.  Hope this helps.  lost...
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 9:56:07 PM EDT
[#6]
When I entered for 40's, I had to hold books further away to read them.  For awhile I could squint, and items would come into focus.  Now I'm in my mid 50's, and require reading glasses.

I can use red dots at the lower settings.  At higher settings the dot develops a comet tail.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 10:47:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I’m not sure if the near vision is also a factor, but for some shooters with astigmatism, if you pop up your rear BUIS and look through the aperture, your red dot might look much better.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 10:48:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Astigmatism in my right eye also right handed learned to shoot left handed in my early teens,has worked well.Bow and arrow not so easy.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 12:46:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By QtrHorse:
By your explanation, you’re near sighted (can’t see at distances) with an astigmatism.  Im in the same boat and with single corrected glasses, I still have the star burst issue with some red dots.  

I have moved to more 1-4 and 1-6 scopes because I still get the 1x and the dot is perfect.

View Quote

Thank you.  I picked up a Bushnell Banner 2 3-9x 40mm for Black Friday which is similar to the scope a friend has, in which I can see through.  I will give turning down the brightness a bit and see if that helps.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 11:58:31 AM EDT
[#10]
If astigmatism and red dots are your problem, the answer is easy: prism optics.  Most all of us 50+ guys deal with the RDS starburst.  I have three Primary Arms prism scopes, two 3x and one 1x.  They're excellent and, using the adjustable objective, the reticle on each is crystal clear.  

I recommend you get one of the PA SLx 1x micro-prism optics.  They're light, compact and absolutely bomb proof.  They also have the GLx line of prism optics which are larger, but have excellent glass and reticles designed with more options for distance, wind, etc. Again, they're built like tanks.  I have a 3x of each type and I'm a huge fan of both designs.  They have very bright illumination and, since the reticle is etched onto the lens, it is always there, regardless of battery power.  During daylight shooting, illumination isn't usually even necessary.  If you don't try one, you're really missing out.

Primary Arms SLx Micro-prism

Here is the reticle, and , unless you're vision is unusually horrible, this is how it will appear in use.  It has a small chevron for precise aiming, a large horse shoe for CQB and distance lines underneath.  The chevron and horse shoe are illuminated, the stadia(?) lines are not, so CQB aiming is uncluttered.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 7:25:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I have the same problem and have come to find the SIG Bravo 5 is the best balance for me.

It is a brick for sure but the glass is great and the reticle is crisp as can be and the range of lighting is amazing.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 8:39:12 PM EDT
[#12]
ost
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 6:29:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#13]

View Quote

Glasses can help, indeed, to reduce astigmatism if it is built into the prescription.

For me, without those glasses, even some illuminated variable scopes can be a problem.  In particular, the ones with a single bright dot at the center of the crosshairs caused a cluster effect with my glasses off.  Just about perfect with glasses on.

Only recently I got cataract surgery.  I had the anti-astigmatism lenses put in.  Now, i have zero astigmatism. Period.

I also agree with a post above viewing a RDS red dot from behind an aperture rear sight works.  Most if not all of the comet tail or grape cluster is gone.

In short, prescription glasses or cataract surgery with anti-astigmatism lenses should let most people use any type of optic and enjoy nice crisp sharp red dot images.  Looking through a raised or fixed aperture rear sight at the red dot also is effective.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 9:27:38 PM EDT
[#14]
What's weird for me is when using the prism optics, not only the reticle is clear, but everything.  I need glasses to see well past maybe 10'.  I can see, just not well or sharp.  Even the PA 1x gives me improved vision at a 100 yard target.  I'm sure there's some reason a Dr could explain, but its mind blowing to me!  Its a serious win for me using the prism scopes.  Its not the prism that's doing it all, but the etched reticle.  If someone is experiencing the start burst with an RDS, I'd definitely try a prism of some sort, unless you want an etched LPVO.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 11:55:04 AM EDT
[#15]
I have same problem, and no, progressives don't help much.
I can still make due with the star burst on a red dot but I've found that a good 1-4x illuminated scope with an etched reticle is the best solution.

You can also try adding a rear peep sight, by blocking some of the stray light you'll make the red dot a bit dimmer but much clearer. Won't be tic-tac but better.

Link Posted: 12/14/2023 12:06:46 PM EDT
[#16]
was shooting handguns and an SP5 yesterday.  The first four had RDS.  Normally, I choose off-the-shelf shooting glasses and deal with the astigmatism issue to aim where I think the center of the fuzzy/doubled dot is.  I grabbed the prescription glasses from the truck and tried them out.  Frigging perfect.  The red dots were crisper than I had ever seen before.  Next set of glasses for me will be shatter-resistant to become permanent shooting accessories.  Mine are progressives
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 4:38:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I have an astigmatism as well. I wear progressives 24/7. I shoot xtc with a 1-4 lpvo out to 600 yards with no problems. You'll have to see what works for YOU. Everyone's eyes are different.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:56:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Agree that the scopes with red dots are perfect.

With the pistol sized dot optics I've noticed that green is a little better than red.  Also, and maybe more important, is the 6 MOA Holosuns are way clearer/sharper than the 2 MOA sights.  I'm thinking it may be that I can reduce the illumination level on the 6 MOA dots vs. the 2 MOA dots.  Don't know that for sure but I do know I can run the bigger dots at a lower illumination level and still see them just fine.

Also agree on that anything with the adjustable back end on the optic lens is perfect.

I'm thinking, on my next dot optic pistol I may try the K series Holosun to start out and see how well I like the smaller optic/larger dot even on a full sized pistol.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 5:53:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By NoSightPicture:
Polarized lenses.
View Quote

Really? I’m gonna have to pull my aimpoint out and try it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 9:11:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DevL] [#20]
I paid for LASEK laser vision correction. It is more like a modified PRK than LASIK. Longer heal time like PRK but not as painful a recovery as PRK.

Best money I ever spent to improve my shooting and the quality of ALL optics, iron sights, spotting scopes, binoculars, etc. And best of all... no more contact or glasses.

I still find the dots of cheap China made red dots to be an issue, just less so.

You can only shoot what you can see. I can shoot sub half MOA with a good scope and enough magnification. I can only shoot 2-3 MOA with a red dot, even with a magnifier. The reticle is just too imprecise for most targets to do any better on a consistent basis and magnification too low.

Quick tip to shoot unmagnified red dots for groups... turn down the power and shoot looking through the rear peep. Makes a HUGE difference.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 5:52:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Tobysi:

Really? I’m gonna have to pull my aimpoint out and try it.
View Quote

Well I’ll be damned. Polarized lenses did help with my aimpoint. It was a small improvement, but an improvement nonetheless.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 3:43:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Late to the party here, but I have to agree with some of the above posts....go with a prism or LPVO and stay away from conventional red dots or holographic sights.

I've had this issue for years and can see and shoot fine provided I'm using either a prism or LPVO, hell, iron sights are easier to use for me than a red dot.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 4:49:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: blueinterceptor] [#23]
Magnifier cleared up any fuzziness for zeroing purposes and use
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 10:52:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 5:46:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By jdk1:
If astigmatism and red dots are your problem, the answer is easy: prism optics.  Most all of us 50+ guys deal with the RDS starburst.  I have three Primary Arms prism scopes, two 3x and one 1x.  They're excellent and, using the adjustable objective, the reticle on each is crystal clear.  

I recommend you get one of the PA SLx 1x micro-prism optics.  They're light, compact and absolutely bomb proof.  They also have the GLx line of prism optics which are larger, but have excellent glass and reticles designed with more options for distance, wind, etc. Again, they're built like tanks.  I have a 3x of each type and I'm a huge fan of both designs.  They have very bright illumination and, since the reticle is etched onto the lens, it is always there, regardless of battery power.  During daylight shooting, illumination isn't usually even necessary.  If you don't try one, you're really missing out.

Primary Arms SLx Micro-prism

Here is the reticle, and , unless you're vision is unusually horrible, this is how it will appear in use.  It has a small chevron for precise aiming, a large horse shoe for CQB and distance lines underneath.  The chevron and horse shoe are illuminated, the stadia(?) lines are not, so CQB aiming is uncluttered.  
https://image.primaryarms.com/production/SSP%20Applications/NetSuite%20Inc.%20-%20SCA%20Mont%20Blanc/Development/img/PA-SLX-1XMP-CYCLOPS_20.jpg?resizeid=2&resizeh=0&resizew=555
View Quote

Makes me wanna trade my aimpoint pro for an acog.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 2:17:50 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

This pretty much sums up my experiences as well.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 6:06:27 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm nearsighted with astigmatism as well. A good prescription will reduce the astigmatism but will never eliminate it completely.

As already said, polarized lenses, turning down the brightness to reduce the flare, looking through your backup ring sight all help.

Green is easier for the eye to handle than red.

Etched reticle scopes work well for me. I have a Primary Arms LPVO 1-6 that looks good to my eye.

Astigmatism is subjective, what works for someone else may not work for you. You'll have to experiment a little.

Try out a scope from a friend to see how it looks. I've gone to a Cabelas to look through a scope before buying it.

I discussed this issue with my eye doctor. She adjusted the prescription to help with scopes.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 7:41:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Prism optics
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 5:48:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Great subject! I am blessed with great eyesight. I'm over 50 now, and have no eye issues...but, I was doing a handgun class years ago and this gal was way low of her target. Finally figured out it was her tri-focals causing issues. Once we figured that out, she was right on target. Just not something I was used to dealing with.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 10:03:04 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a similar issue, OP. I still shoot better with irons than with the RDS (at distance). Now that my eyes are getting older, I am trying out an LPVO. I just got it this week and mounted it on a rifle the other day. I like the sight picture, and I think it might be a good solution, but I haven't been shooting with it yet. The scope I got has a variable illumination that can be turned off, so there's just a dark, etched reticle. If I remember this thread after shooting with it (my brain is as old as my eyes) I'll report back.

Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:
I’m not sure if the near vision is also a factor, but for some shooters with astigmatism, if you pop up your rear BUIS and look through the aperture, your red dot might look much better.
View Quote

It used to baffle me that things in the distance were blurry to me, but I shot well with irons. When I learned of this effect on people with astigmatism, it became clear that it helped my shooting.

It never occurred to my to pop up the rear BUIS with the RDS on. I'm gonna try that now.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 8:53:05 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

This helps for sure. Some red dots are better than others. Prism scopes are a big improvement over dots for astigmatism.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 9:05:03 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

I finally remembered to try this, and it works. The dot is much more distinct when looking through the aperture of my BUIS.

I'm not sure how to use this info yet, but I'm thinking. 🤔
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top