BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/7/2018 9:03:55 PM EDT
Let's get another one of these going! The other threads keep getting archived.  Maybe this will get enough attention that Forest or Lancelot will give it holy infinite life

I am in the middle of sorting through all of my parts, after moving into a new house.  I damn near have enough to build another beater from parts.

Post up your rifles built from the crumbs of your bench, and the pieces in the bottom of that box!!

My current spare parts rifle is actually a pretty good shooter, and friends and family really enjoy it for some reason.  The Colt barrel really is accurate, and I probably should put it in a better rifle.
It likes FULL power ammo, did have 2 stove pipes with some Tula, and that XX power spring.

C7 upper
Colt 6921 barrel w/ pinned A2X
BCM BCG
KAC RAS
Unknown Charging Handle, think it came with a PSA upper?

LRB lower
LMT 2 stage trigger
LPK is a mishmash of bits from the bottom of the bin
A1 stock A1 grip
LMT rifle RE
LMT rifle buffer
Wolf XX Power spring
Big ass Spikes TG

Several coats of paint  

My next one will have a flat top, and I will likely put the old Vortex PST 1-4 on it that never gets any love, any more.

POST 'EM UP!
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 9:08:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Good looking gun.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 10:23:03 PM EDT
[#2]
That's pretty nice. Even better that it's from spare parts.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 11:15:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 1:39:01 AM EDT
[#4]
My contribution (click to see bigger)...

Parts I can identify:
Alpha Shooting Sports .223 Wylde 16" 1/7 M4 Barrel
Ace Stock
Ergo Grip
TN Arms hybrid polymer lower
ShadowOPS "Bolt Cutter" Muzzle device
Toolcraft BCG
DPMS Upper

Edit: Images are only coming through as links, despite being visible in my post preview. I guess I have to have a minimum post count to go full pics?

I've got a cheap Bushnell red dot around here somewhere that I'll throw on it and see how it shoots...
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 5:46:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Found a brand new in the wrap/tube BCM bolt/carrier in the drawer I don't even remember ordering (while looking for something else.)

The quad rail was from a change in direction several years ago while building a carbine for my nephew.  I thought he wanted a mid-length gas system but he really wanted carbine length, so that quad rail went into the parts drawer in the garage.

The buttstock is the last of two I bought several years ago (used) for $50 (stocks, buffer tubes, springs, buffers, castle nuts - complete and ready to use).  Also in the parts drawer.

The pistol grip was left over from a build where I substituted a magpul grip with the internal storage compartment.

The lower had been in the box on the bench for several months (the last of a batch of four I'd bought in 2016 - just before the election.)

The aimpoint is several years old.  I don't care for it (eye issues) and while I put it on new builds for function testing at the range and sight it in sooner or later I get to thinking a scope will give me better groups (always does) and buy a scope to replace the Aimpoint and then it goes back in the drawer again.  That things been on 4 or 5 AR15's and the SIG 556R.

I did buy the barrel (DSA 14.5" chrome lined/parkerized), the upper and the magpul back up sights.

I'd found a Gieselle trigger on the bench I don't remember buying and installed that.  Then my wife shot it, commented on how much nicer it was that the trigger in her carbine so the Gieselle trigger came out and went into her carbine and the stock trigger ended up in the parts drawer carbine.

The sling was also out in the drawer (last of a batch of black carbine length slings I bought 8 or 10 years ago).

The flash hider was in a parts bin, came on a barrel that ended up getting a "cool looking" aftermarket flash hider installed on it for my nephew's carbine build several years back.

The was the build I posted on here about several months back - where I pinched my finger between the gas block and pinned/welded flash suppressor (while getting the barrel installed).  Looked okay at first, net thing I know I've got blood splattering on the wall, me, the floor, the bench and the carbine.  Didn't want to quit right then so I grabbed a latex glove and worked it down over the bloody hand/fingers and kept working.  Got done, took the time to look at the glove to see some of the fingers were full of blood.  I bleed easy, blood thinners, and it was pinched/cut in just the right place to bleed a lot.  No matter what I end up doing with that carbine, I'll remember that build.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 9:46:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Most of this was built from the parts bins

Link Posted: 12/8/2018 10:08:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 10:10:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The aimpoint is several years old.  I don't care for it (eye issues) and while I put it on new builds for function testing at the range and sight it in sooner or later I get to thinking a scope will give me better groups (always does) and buy a scope to replace the Aimpoint and then it goes back in the drawer again.  
View Quote
Hell, what model is it?  I like it way better than my Viper PST 1-4 I have in my parts box
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 10:14:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm about to do one up myself.

I think I've got 50 lpk's worth of lower parts.

Just realized I had a couple rifles worth of parts(barrels, bcgs, receivers, etc) just sitting there and it bothered me.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 11:47:50 AM EDT
[#10]
My favorite parts bin build.........

Link Posted: 12/8/2018 2:30:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/dozBIRR.jpg
View Quote
Nice parts bin
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 2:37:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Nice parts bin
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice parts bin
No shit.  I really like that rifle.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 7:14:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nice parts bin
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice parts bin
Agreed!
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 12:36:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Attachment Attached File

Best thread of the week!
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 8:33:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Let's get another one going! The other threads keep getting archived.  I am in the middle of sorting through all parts, after moving into a new house, and have enough to build another beater from parts.

My current spare parts rifle is really a pretty good shooter, and friends and family really enjoy it for some reason.  The Colt barrel really is accurate, and I probably should put it in a better rifle.

Post up your rifles built from the crumbs of your bench, and the pieces in the bottom of that box!!

C7 upper w/ Colt 6921 barrel, BCM BCG and pinned A2X wearing an RAS!
LRB lower w/ LMT 2 stage trigger, A1 stock and A1 grip
Wolff X power rifle spring, LMT rifle buffer

Several coats of paint  

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h385/alaskaLTZ/IMG_0005_zps38smtbqy.jpg

My next one will have a flat top, and I will likely put the old Vortex PST 1-4 on it that never gets any love, any more.

POST 'EM UP!
View Quote
I love that build. Have been thinking about an A1 upper with a mid length light weight barrel for some time now.
Need to find the parts I need........those receivers are getting scarce

Does anyone else simply buy used parts just because someone is selling at a good price?
I’ve bought parts with no intended use in mind. Toss them in a bin for later use.
Am I nuts? Am I a parts hoarder?
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 10:40:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 11:46:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Does anyone else simply buy used parts just because someone is selling at a good price?
I’ve bought parts with no intended use in mind. Toss them in a bin for later use.
View Quote
I either change my mind mid-build, forcing me to buy different parts; or, I’m dissatisfied with the assembled product and now must find different parts to fix it.

I am guilty of having a half-dozen different projects running at once and buying “on-sale items” for any of those projects as I find them. This is good because I usually get parts at a discount, but bad because my projects tend to take forever to complete.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 3:37:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Here's one I built from junk I had laying around. Free barrel someone gave me, an old A1 upper I took off a rifle in the 90s, I had to buy the lower for 40 bux, its one of those plastic hybrid ones. Prolly have less than a hundred dollars in the whole thing.

Link Posted: 12/9/2018 5:38:28 PM EDT
[#19]
A spare upper receiver and carry handle, A2 stock kit, M5 RAS and a few other things led to another A4:

Link Posted: 12/9/2018 7:20:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
A spare upper receiver and carry handle, A2 stock kit, M5 RAS and a few other things led to another A4:

http://i66.tinypic.com/tahbtf.jpg
View Quote
Is that the A4 Style Lower Receiver? *Clearly able to see that it is* EDIT* If so, you don't got to lie to kick it and expect us to think that is all coincidence to think that was from spare parts and unintentional lol but love the build either way!

EDIT: Also found a place that is selling those Aero Precision A4 Lower Receivers for 69-74 bucks, anyone interested I'll see if I can bring it up.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 7:32:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Is that the A4 Style Lower Receiver? *Clearly able to see that it is* EDIT* If so, you don't got to lie to kick it and expect us to think that is all coincidence to think that was from spare parts and unintentional lol but love the build either way!

EDIT: Also found a place that is selling those Aero Precision A4 Lower Receivers for 69-74 bucks, anyone interested I'll see if I can bring it up.
View Quote
It is, and it was not a spare part. I had a spare Aero Precision lower receiver that I intended to use for this rifle, but I thought it fitting to have an A4 marked receiver for it. So no, it wasn't coincidence.

ETA: I do now have another one of those Aero Precision A4 marked lower receivers as a spare. I bought it on sale ($45) along with a few others a couple of months ago. No use for it just yet.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 8:15:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It is, and it was not a spare part. I had a spare Aero Precision lower receiver that I intended to use for this rifle, but I thought it fitting to have an A4 marked receiver for it. So no, it wasn't coincidence.

ETA: I do now have another one of those Aero Precision A4 marked lower receivers as a spare. I bought it on sale ($45) along with a few others a couple of months ago. No use for it just yet.
View Quote
Throwing it out there, try to do the USMC M16A5 since you got the A4 in the Armory, I know it never really materialized, but it might seem fitting to add one to your stock!
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 8:38:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I love that build. Have been thinking about an A1 upper with a mid length light weight barrel for some time now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Do it!  I have a LW 12.5 made with a C7, and it is my favorite open sight shooter.  Comes in at 5#

Yes, that is how every part in that one I posted came to be, other than the stock and RE, which I needed to purchase to finish it.

I must have 4 FF rails sitting in the box, still
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 8:43:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Great thread idea
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 1:54:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 1:57:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 1:58:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 2:01:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 2:39:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 3:00:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 7:59:44 PM EDT
[#31]
A buddy wanted us to shoot a long range competition with .223’s a couple years ago. I didn’t have a rifle really set up for that, so I started pulling out the spare parts. The scope came off my big rifle, just about everything else was spare parts. My buddy won the match, I placed third if I remember correctly.

Now it has a standard forged lower and a carry handle.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 8:46:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
A buddy wanted us to shoot a long range competition with .223’s a couple years ago. I didn’t have a rifle really set up for that, so I started pulling out the spare parts. The scope came off my big rifle, just about everything else was spare parts. My buddy won the match, I placed third if I remember correctly.

Now it has a standard forged lower and a carry handle.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/51718/9E1CDC61-7E19-4092-B5DF-DE9FA9B8553C_jpeg-768003.JPG
View Quote
Is that the Gen 3 MI Rifle Length Combat Quad Rail, I know that is not the correct name just the one I could think of off the top of my head, wish they had made this one with a "12 FSP cutout, though it would require it to be a 2 piece lol, how does it handle and is it heavy like their 2 piece free float rail?
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 8:53:06 PM EDT
[#33]

The role pin for the FSB is a roofing nail. I ran out of spare parts.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 5:39:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Pretty sure the reference was to A1s.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What receivers are getting scarce?
Pretty sure the reference was to A1s.
The one I posted in this thread came from the Blue Couch!

(jcrowl)

Link Posted: 12/12/2018 6:24:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Several nice parts bin rifles in here. Random extra parts always do turn into another rifle...
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 6:31:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The C7 style uppers are easy to find if you look in the right place.
View Quote
Yes those....could you send me a pm as to where to look?
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 6:40:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Just bought the barrel and dust cover on Black Friday.  Everything else for the upper I had laying around.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 7:00:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 8:06:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Thanks......
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 3:30:38 AM EDT
[#40]
This is the thread I needed to see to finally get me to slap some shit together. Fantastic idea
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 10:38:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
This is the thread I needed to see to finally get me to slap some shit together. Fantastic idea
View Quote
Done yet?
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 1:03:04 PM EDT
[#42]
I blew my plans to make a block I clone out of the water and switched to block II.... which has left me with a socom barrel that is pinned and welded with a standard barrel nut on it. I think I have enough stuff sitting around to make something fun out of it today... if so, I'll bring some pics to the party later
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 5:58:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Cheers to you, sir
I applaud the faith in humanity, and your ability to sift through and try to help.  Too many members of the Free Shit Army in this world.  I will dig through more parts after we finish unpacking from the move, and find you some stuff to throw on there.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 7:50:05 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm not that noble.  Bear Creek gave me a heavy bbl I didn't need, so I gave it away.  Way too many spare parts cluttering up the workbench, not worth selling on the EE.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 8:11:57 PM EDT
[#46]
I might have some stuff for that thread.

So I intended to turn my Colt socom into a block 1.5 build. Had the closed tine warcomp welded on, then I got fickle. Decided I wanted free float, but I couldn't do a RIS II anymore without destroying the warcomp. So I bought this Omega off the EE to make a AFSOC-inspired rifle. But then the fickleness came back and I bought a RIS II FSP, which meant I had to either destroy this muzzle brake or buy a new barrel. I bought a new barrel and all of the Colt goodies got put aside for that build.

So this barrel and rail didn't have a home anymore so I dipped into my spare parts and this is the result. Can't remember the make of the lower parts kit anymore, it wasn't in the original packaging. Aero receivers, Magpul grip and stock, Colt BCG/CH/carry handle, BCM trigger. The barrel has about 600rds on it and the trigger is somewhere around 1k, but otherwise most of the parts are basically new other than the second-hand rail.

Seems like it will be a fun blaster, and pretty damn rugged. This was kinda fun... I don't have nearly as many rifles/parts as a lot of folks here, but I have about a half of what I need to do another parts bin build. Maybe by this time next year I'll be ready to do another.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 11:07:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Done yet?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Done yet?
Eh, sorta. Some of it is old parts and some of it was stuff I had laying around from builds I lost interest in. In any case, it's nice to have it getting used instead of just collecting dust.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 2:38:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Eh, sorta. Some of it is old parts and some of it was stuff I had laying around from builds I lost interest in. In any case, it's nice to have it getting used instead of just collecting dust.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4885/45606677525_b49b03384b_b.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Done yet?
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4885/45606677525_b49b03384b_b.jpg
Hell, that turned out great!
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 4:06:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Truck gun. Nothing on this puppy gonna bend
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 4:29:50 AM EDT
[#50]
The is the one in my avatar, the one built from other peoples junk drawers, the Trash Panda.
Sabre Defense Industries, (Cav Arms), poly lower
Aero upper/free float tube
Toolcraft BCG
Stag LPK
Bear Creek 223 Wylde barrel
AR Stoner carbine length gas tube
Giselle Super gas Block
MagPul MBUS
The rifle now sports a Bushnell TRS-32 AR-Optics 5MOA red dot as well.

Attachment Attached File

I love it. I have another Cav Arms lower I have almost put together, and another Bear Creek barrel to attach to whatever upper stuff I can scrounge cheap, and I'll have another beater rifle for the wife.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top