Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2020 12:19:13 PM EDT
In my other colt le6921, bought new in box, there where some imperfections but never down to bare aluminium like for these (very little) nicks. Now I can't even recognize them because I abused that rifle like crazy. as you can see I am not overly concerned about imperfecrions on a work horse like a colt LE but i just bought this rifle from a guy who said He never used it and i just want to know if it is possible for these imperfections to be there from the factory. There still is some cosmoline-like preservative on the rifle. Thanks!

Link Posted: 2/25/2020 12:30:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Sharpie... Dab lightly.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 12:31:56 PM EDT
[#2]
He did not have to "use" it in the field to have used it in a safe or handling it. Looks like normal dings from moving around to me.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 12:48:05 PM EDT
[#3]
No, those marks are not "normal" on a brand new gun... Which is what you paid for. I have both a Colt 6920, and a 6940 Monolith, and they were perfect out of the box. And I don't buy into any of this, "handling marks" nonsense. You are either careful when handling a gun, or you're not. They obviously weren't.

I have guns that I purchased brand new back in the early 70's, that are nearly 50 years old. They don't have a mark on them. And many of them have thousands of rounds through them, and countless trips to the range. I am just very careful with them. You wouldn't accept a new car or truck with scratches. Why would you with a new gun? It makes no sense. Unless you don't care. And you obviously do. I would raise hell.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 12:55:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I’ve bought new Colt’s from the factory with dings in them like you’ve shown.  Back in the day, Colt even used to put a blob of paint where they dinged the receiver installing the roll pin for the bolt catch.  Looked really sloppy, but it was just how they did it.

The scratches don’t look like they are through the anodizing and will likely come off with a little solvent and a rag.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 1:00:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The scratches don’t look like they are through the anodizing and will likely come off with a little solvent and a rag.
View Quote
Can you expande, please?
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 1:03:46 PM EDT
[#6]
It's bullshit but what you gonna do at this point....
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 1:10:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
No, those marks are not "normal" on a brand new gun... Which is what you paid for. I have both a Colt 6920, and a 6940 Monolith, and they were perfect out of the box. And I don't buy into any of this, "handling marks" nonsense. You are either careful when handling a gun, or you're not. They obviously weren't.

I have guns that I purchased brand new back in the early 70's, that are nearly 50 years old. They don't have a mark on them. And many of them have thousands of rounds through them, and countless trips to the range. I am just very careful with them. You wouldn't accept a new car or truck with scratches. Why would you with a new gun? It makes no sense. Unless you don't care. And you obviously do. I would raise hell.
View Quote
I see your point but there is no standardization among gun companies for the conditions of new guns. Saying that any new gun has to be completely scratch Free is not realistic because that's not how gun market works. A little amount of marks is often there, especially for guns meant to be used for work. You are comparing guns to cars, i could compare them to chiansaws or other items that usually are not perfect in fit and finish, again with a great difference between different producers. Of course i'm talking about microscopic nicks like these, not giant stuff. I was just asking if something like this is within the qc tolerances for colt, i honestly Think the answer is yes but i'm in for other comments.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 1:11:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Nevermind
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 1:14:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
He did not have to "use" it in the field to have used it in a safe or handling it. Looks like normal dings from moving around to me.
View Quote
Ho do you make such small dings, roundly shaped?
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 4:59:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry i Think i haven't been accurate in explaining at what nicks i'm referring to, it seems to me that most of you tought i was referring to the "scratches" in the first pic bit they are totally normale in ANY colt i have seen. They can be seen only in some light conditions and don't get to bare aluminium at all. I was referring to the little White spots right Next to the arrow points! Just to be sure i'll post a thread similar to this one. Sorry dir the misunderstanding and thanks for the answers.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 7:11:05 PM EDT
[#11]
You bought a used gun. It is not new in the box from the factory. There is no way to tell if those dings came from the factory or not, given you are the second owner of it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 7:17:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Oh Geez!
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 7:49:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No, those marks are not "normal" on a brand new gun... Which is what you paid for.
View Quote
Uh...no he didn't. He paid for an unfired, used gun.

Quoted:
i just bought this rifle from a guy who said He never used it
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 8:12:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Oh Geez!
View Quote
?
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 9:03:13 PM EDT
[#15]
My brand new 6920 OEM wasn't much better.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 9:16:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Sorry i Think i haven't been accurate in explaining at what nicks i'm referring to, it seems to me that most of you tought i was referring to the "scratches" in the first pic bit they are totally normale in ANY colt i have seen. They can be seen only in some light conditions and don't get to bare aluminium at all. I was referring to the little White spots right Next to the arrow points! Just to be sure i'll post a thread similar to this one. Sorry dir the misunderstanding and thanks for the answers.
View Quote
Every new Colt I’ve purchased seemed to have at least one chip like yours.  I wouldn’t sweat it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 9:24:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Not my pic but here is an old web photo that illustrates well how Colt handles Components, it has to contribute to marring etc....I’m guessing this is a by product of fulfilling military contracts in bulk ?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 9:29:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 9:38:42 PM EDT
[#19]
edit
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 9:45:27 PM EDT
[#20]
If you want a tool you get an AR, if you want art get a British double.  The makers of ARs toss all their products around like wrenches in a tool box.

I think OP's expectations are a bit high for an AR from any builder.

Just go shoot it, bang it into barriers, toss it in the barrel as you transition to the pistol portion of the run and get it hot as fuck.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 12:47:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Colt tend to make their 1911s really nice looking without any dings or scratches. But their AR15s tend to be imperfect with many handling marks on it. I got my two Colt lowers, one had a huge scratch mark across the mag well.

I just use Birchwood Casey Aluminum black on it. It's a acid that you cover over the scratches of aluminum receivers and it might become black again. In all my cases, they turn black again then I wipe with a oily rag.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 2:01:06 PM EDT
[#22]
It's not uncommon for Colt to send out rifles that would be considered blems by other manufacturers.  I own several Colt's that have similar dings and scratches on them.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 3:49:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 6:27:53 PM EDT
[#24]
It's a second-hand, unused.  And those spots are tiny.  Just clean it up and put it to use.  Rub it down good, you'll probably not notice them again.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 7:02:01 PM EDT
[#25]
NIB Colt AR-15 A2 HBAR, broken bolt release with upper receiver scratching.

NIB Colt LE 6920, scratched up receivers, barrel scratches.

Colt is apparently rough handling them Ponies.

They shoot just fine though.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 7:29:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Actually yours looks pretty good for a Colt

Most Colts look worse.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 12:32:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for the replies!
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 7:36:30 PM EDT
[#28]
My LE6920 looked pretty nice estetically however, I sent back the bolt carrier because the gas key was over staked breaking the metal and Colt hooked me up pretty quickly.  Edited to add content.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 10:36:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My LE6920 looked pretty nice estetically however, I sent back the bolt carrier because the gas key was over staked breaking the metal and Colt hooked me up pretty quickly.  Edited to add content.
View Quote
LINK

Not just your gas key.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 10:42:46 AM EDT
[#30]
I've received much worse on brand new Colts ... that where in sealed boxes when I bought them.

Colt is known for cosmetic blems.

Move on.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 8:45:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Even if it is a new gun in a gun store, it still get scratches at the gun store.  A lot of stores bang them against other guns putting them in and out of the racks by not being very careful.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 8:45:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Even if it is a new gun in a gun store, it still get scratches at the gun store.  A lot of stores bang them against other guns putting them in and out of the racks by not being very careful.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 8:49:06 AM EDT
[#33]
I've seen enough posts on here over the years to know that Colts are not known for a perfect finish. Dings, scratches, blemishes.....all pretty common. But they all go bang.....and that's what colts goal is, making them pretty isn't their top priority.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 10:23:10 AM EDT
[#34]
How does it shoot?
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 1:11:16 AM EDT
[#35]
My new in box 6920 had two little round dings like your pic... None of the scratches but I used a little black sharpie and called it good.   I do take care of my stuff but after seeing those Colt factory pics, makes total sense metal on metal stacked in every other work station, result will be dings.   And the military I am sure does not care, they are just going to hand them out and as long as they perform, all is good.   The rest of the finish cleaned up fine and matched for the most part so all good.   Enjoy.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 7:20:51 AM EDT
[#36]
I used to get those marks around the bolt catch, when I wore a metal wedding ring.  It's an AR, not a Weatherby.   I understand the concern, but it will not affect the gun at all.  Dab the spot with a Sharpie marker and drive on.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 10:46:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 5:29:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Looks like light handling marks from bumping around a bit in a safe.
He's probably telling the truth about having never shot it, but it's unlikely to be like that from the factory.
Granted I did once see a 6920 that's worse than that from a dealer.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 12:37:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Buy a bottle of birchwood casey ALUMINUM BLACK. Take the bottle and q-tip and apply the solution to the aluminum. It will turn the white aluminum to a matte black finish. I used this stuff when building ar rifles. Like it never even happened!
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 8:28:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Did you reach out to colt and ask?
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 9:04:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Colt pre throws their AR's down the Driveway to get that Battle worn look.

Link Posted: 5/25/2020 10:08:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Did you reach out to colt and ask?
View Quote

Have Samuel call him.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top