Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/11/2024 2:33:43 PM EDT

1) AR-15 Rifle Builder's Manual: An Illustrated, Step-by-Step Guide to Assembling the AR-15 Rifle

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1530568455/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

2) AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide Later Printing Edition

AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide Later Printing Edition

https://www.amazon.com/AR-15-Complete-Assembly-Guide-Kuleck/dp/1888722126
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 2:39:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Much will depend on the date they were written.  TBH, everything you need to know can be accessed right here on this site.  I wouldn't personally buy a book.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 2:41:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By s4s4u:
Much will depend on the date they were written.  TBH, everything you need to know can be accessed right here on this site.  I wouldn't personally buy a book.
View Quote

Yep. Arfcom is my book.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 2:52:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, guys!  

I was thinking more if the site went down.

It’s very rare a search for a topic doesn’t come up with the answer, let alone posting a question.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 5:07:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Nothing wrong with a book for sure.  I just have no experience with those, maybe someone else will chime in.  Good point about the reasoning.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 5:27:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 6:01:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By C-4:

Thanks, guys!  

I was thinking more if the site went down.

It’s very rare a search for a topic doesn’t come up with the answer, let alone posting a question.
View Quote

Additional references are not a bad thing to have.  The basics haven't changed, but new stuff is constantly coming out.  Paper can't keep up with digital.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 6:55:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 12:01:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HipSh0T] [#8]
I own both of those books and they are too dated to give you any useful information past basically lower assembly, troubleshooting, and general maintenance. There's nothing especially in that second book pertaining to modern FF handguards, flat top uppers, and modern trigger assemblies.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 2:13:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By HipSh0T:
I own both of those books and they are too dated to give you any useful information past basically lower assembly, troubleshooting, and general maintenance. There's nothing especially in that second book pertaining to modern FF handguards, flat top uppers, and modern trigger assemblies.
View Quote

Thank you @HipSh0T

Anything about gas tubes in either book?
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 12:17:10 AM EDT
[#10]

Thank you @HipSh0T

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thank you @HipSh0T

Just general how to time your USGI barrel nut to allow for installation and carbine vs rifle length. I'm thumbing through the Walt and Clint book and there's zero mention of mid-length systems as the book predates essentially all modern setups. Your better off getting your information here and skipping the books unless you can pick them up cheap or collect books.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 12:31:56 AM EDT
[#11]
I downloaded a bunch of stuff from arfcom, other sites too.  I downloaded a bunch of YT videos, many of which are no longer up there, so glad I did, but sites like UGETube & gunstreamer have videos too, download them while you can.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 12:04:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Just general how to time your USGI barrel nut to allow for installation and carbine vs rifle length. I'm thumbing through the Walt and Clint book and there's zero mention of mid-length systems as the book predates essentially all modern setups. Your better off getting your information here and skipping the books unless you can pick them up cheap or collect books.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thank you @HipSh0T

Thanks guys!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top