Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2021 9:46:34 PM EDT
The issues from a while back really soured me from eotechs but now most posts I've seen say they appear good to go. Is this the case? What changes did they make? Do new units have any problems with dimming, delamination, parasitic battery drain, and poi shift? Any input from people that have had new and old varients is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 10:44:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Everything manufactured after 2014 should be good to go. I have a couple xps and exps optics and I haven't noticed any issues. I did have a 512 that was killing batteries, but I do not remember what the manufacture date was on that unit.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:19:57 PM EDT
[#2]
They are not problem free.

Still reports of dimming/reticle fade, loss of reticle, units that will not power on new out of the box and some that power off under recoil.

Great sights when they are operational. Battery life still sucks.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:22:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Well into my second year with an EXPS.  Lots of use.  Had to change the battery once. No issues thus far.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:42:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Both I and a buddy had units that "broke in the safe."
Pretty hard to trust one after that.
All six Aimpoints (bought new) I have ever had are still 100%,
two of which are with new owners.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:49:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Ive got two XPS3-2 and I beat them like red headed step children.
No batterie issues, no reticle issues, and no thermal shift.
Love em.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:59:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Never, ever, will I again buy an EOTech.

I had 3 that "broke in the safe", as edwin907 phrased it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 12:07:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Out of curiosity, when were they manufactured?
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 12:16:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought one of the new good ones (EXPS3-0) with the new logo after the big dust up.  

UPS guy dropped it off about 4:30 in the afternoon and it died before 10:00 that night.  Was doing a low light training and never even made it to the live fire part.  

The first one I had was an SU 231 bought brand new and it was DOA.  Never even saw the reticle on that one.

Garbage.

Link Posted: 1/6/2021 12:49:40 AM EDT
[#9]
These go well. Have fun!
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 1:16:44 AM EDT
[#10]
I've had old and new XPS and EXPS.
All were fine, no issues.
Love the reticle.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 1:31:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ive got two XPS3-2 and I beat them like red headed step children.
No batterie issues, no reticle issues, and no thermal shift.
Love em.
View Quote

I don't beat them but they do not get babied.
Replace batteries every 6 months
Would buy again sub $590
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 10:56:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I also had a "sitting in the safe" casualty in terms of losing purge and getting delaminated. It's really hard to see why I would want to buy an Eotech with the UH1 gen2 being an option now. Admittedly, there are a couple advantages that Eotech has on some models (BDC reticles and side mounted-controls), but the failure rate and too-short warranty make it a much worse long-term play if those advantages are not critical.

I am HOPING the new ownership (which is no longer L3) deals with the support situation appropriately for new models. A ten year, no BS warranty would go very far in making Eotech a reasonable choice again.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 11:05:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A ten year, no BS warranty would go very far in making Eotech a reasonable choice again.
View Quote

This. Lose the bench fee stipulation. Then.....maybe.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 1:53:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I have had one optic fail, and it was an eotech. I won't be buying another, 500 bucks for it, and they have a shitty warranty.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 12:57:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't know you, but please add me to that list.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 1:41:18 AM EDT
[#16]
My 2008 EoTech began dying at 10 years.  A personal friend of mine gets paid to use these weapons and sights along with an endless supply system.  He has had 2 die and he will use any of the other choices rather than EoTech.  He says usually AimPoint.  My $500 won't go to EoTech.   This is JMHO.

ETA: The friends issue with the optic was in the last year.  Unknown date of manufacture.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 2:01:39 AM EDT
[#17]
EOTech is no longer a part of L-3, so it is not clear if they plan to make any significant changes going forward.

Generally, recent EOTechs I looked at did not have any of the original issues, but I generally prefer UH-1 and UH-2 that I have, largely owing to longer battery life.

ILya
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 4:03:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I don't know you, but please add me to that list.
View Quote

Me as well. Broke two sitting in the safe.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 6:35:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
EOTech is no longer a part of L-3, so it is not clear if they plan to make any significant changes going forward.

Generally, recent EOTechs I looked at did not have any of the original issues, but I generally prefer UH-1 and UH-2 that I have, largely owing to longer battery life.

ILya
View Quote
I agree with that now that vortex has a NV variant there is no reason to go with Eotech when you can get a NV capable holo with a lifetime warranty about the same price as the non NV Eotechs.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 9:35:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I agree with that now that vortex has a NV variant there is no reason to go with Eotech when you can get a NV capable holo with a lifetime warranty about the same price as the non NV Eotechs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ILya

I always take up for EoTech in these threads, but I’m leaning this direction. I still like mine, at least my EXPS/XPS stuff since my 511 from back in the day had battery drainage, but the UH-1 is really starting to edge it out.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top