Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2021 9:00:06 AM EDT
First time I'm considering buying a light and don't have much experience at all with them. Dunno if this is a stupid question but wanted to see if all lights can be used handheld and if any are quick detach? It'd be nice to have the option to have a single flashlight that has multiple uses vs one that sits on my rifle all the time.

edit: I'm asking because i was going to pickup an owl based on recommendations but saw the body of the light is integrated with the mount so now looking for other solutions. fde is a must lol
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 10:14:26 AM EDT
[#1]
You're not going to find a dedicated weaponlight that is "QD" from the mount itself.  There are QD mounts available for Scout pattern lights, but you'll be toting around a handheld with a picatinny mount attached to it.

If you want the OWL, just go with that and then pick up an SF G2X for handheld use, they're only like $50-$60.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 10:18:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I always needs more flashlights.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 10:19:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Hangfire.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 1:54:44 PM EDT
[#4]
VLTOR makes a Picatinny mount ring that releases the light when the semi-QD thumbscrew is loosened:
https://www.vltor.com/shop/ar/mounts/sm-ei-scout-mount/

This only works with certain size lights:
SM-E fits flashlight widths of 0.810-0.826 inch
SM-I fits flashlight widths of 1.000-1.040 inches
View Quote

Using a setup like this will limit what kind of light you can choose, though, and wouldn't work well if you wanted to use a remote switch.

Best bet is to have a separate hand-held, as suggested above, and leave a dedicated gun light in place.  The G2X is a great choice for a handheld, or you can get smaller lights that make for good EDC.  

I always have 2 lights on me; 3 if you count a phone.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 12:13:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks everyone for the replies. Sounds like I'll be getting two lights, one handheld and dedicated weapon. i just wasn't sure if there was something out there i was missing. now time to go down the rabbit hole of handheld flashlights.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 8:09:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Not that I know of.  Surefire g2x in 600lu can be found for $45 if you shop them around, don't know if there is a better bang for the buck than that regarding a handheld.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 9:21:52 AM EDT
[#7]
ADM makes a QD Scout Light mount that is small and low profile and easily used hand held. They make offset light mounts too. I prefer to use a QD mount on my lights so they can be used on all of my weapons. Midwest Industries makes similar mounts too.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 1:31:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a LaRue QD on my Modlite.

its usable as a handheld, just a bit awkward to hold.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/1/2021 5:27:40 PM EDT
[#9]
OP, I mounted up one of my small Streamlight RM-1 (the one that takes a single cr123 battery) and mounted it to an ADM M-AD-SF QD.  This setup is on what I consider a bug-out type gun.  It's a 7.5 pistol that fits in a small little banjo packpack case.  I figured if I had to get out quick and discreetly, this would make a nice concealable package.  I like the fact that I can detach the flashlight if needed while out on the road.  

Seems to be working well.  It does put the flashlight a little further away from the rail which takes some getting used to.  And part of that is the STNGR rail I'm using.    But I like it.  I say you should try it.  Crummy pictures, but maybe it'll give you an idea.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 10:51:02 PM EDT
[#10]
My X300U-A is my backup rifle light and backup handheld light. Not the best when handheld but it has worked in a pinch to do vehicle searches or direct traffic.

IMO a rifle light is best solidly mounted if it is not an X300U-A to begin with.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top