Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2020 6:55:17 PM EDT
So after just going through an ordeal with the poorly made Luth AR upper (see link below for that discussion) I ordered some other retro parts from Tony’s custom uppers. To start with I was charged for UPS ground shipping and then my parts were actually shipped in a cheap flat rate bubble mailer which ended up taking 2 weeks to arrive. (They are in OH and I’m in KY, UPS would have been 2 days)

Today the parts finally arrived and this is the fit of the handguards. I have handguards from 4 other manufacturers and they all fit seamlessly. These are the only ones that fit poorly and they came directly from Tony’s custom uppers. After now dealing with 2 different retro manufacturers and having issues with the quality of both I’m wondering if all retro companies sell junk? I’m honestly afraid to order retro parts from anyone after seeing the quality I’m getting from these 2 places. Am I being too picky?

Luth Thread
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 7:02:01 PM EDT
[#1]
This is the fit of my LSO skinny hand guards. I was expecting this sort of fit. (All my other handguards fit like this , perfectly seamless no matter if they are carbine, mid, or rifle length)

Link Posted: 12/15/2020 7:03:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I know what you're saying. When it comes to USGI parts you need to remember they were made for tools not art. I'm like you and most  retro builders want everything perfect.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 7:16:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know what you're saying. When it comes to USGI parts you need to remember they were made for tools not art. I'm like you and most  retro builders want everything perfect.
View Quote

Yeah, like I said, if I’m being to picky I’ll just forget it and roll with it. Just sucks that people don’t take more pride in their work these days.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 8:36:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Tony’s is an excellent outfit, send them an email or call the shop and let them know, they will make it right.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 8:55:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I heard the same thing about Luth AR only to be turned away empty handed but I’ll give it a try.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 9:11:05 PM EDT
[#6]
It looks more authentic to me. Old ass real stuff wasn't perfect.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 9:19:20 PM EDT
[#7]
If that’s bugging you, stay away from Charlie’s Custom Clones....

Wrong taper pins, DPMS parts, non-Colt, “Colt” parts—from sub-vendors....wait 3xs longer than he says....although by now, he must be solo, since he says his relatives died every time he’s not able to do what he advertises.

Most handguards fit better than that—have you contacted Tony’s?
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 9:23:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Wrong taper pins, DPMS parts, non-Colt, “Colt” parts—from sub-vendors....wait 3xs longer than he says....although by now, he must be solo, since he says his relatives died every time he’s not able to do what he advertises.

Most handguards fit better than that—have you contacted Tony’s?
View Quote

Yeah, I don’t understand people. How do they operate such big businesses and get away with crappy quality and horrible service? We need a “do not buy” list. I’ve emailed them, we will see how they respond.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 9:42:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It looks more authentic to me. Old ass real stuff wasn't perfect.
View Quote

This.

My first job in the gun industry was building and repairing AR-15s and CAR-15s back in 1982. Parts guns were a mix of surplus M16 parts and new production parts. If someone wants a reproduction of an after market CAR-15 from the 1980s, little imperfections like that are perfect.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 10:19:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Shady ass outfit all around.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 10:28:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I've bought at least a few second contract replacement parts for retro copies and even then I don't have anything that fits that bad.

Maybe I'm just a case study but between A1, A2, A4, and M4 that looks like factory seconds.

Are these USGI or repros?
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 10:32:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Thats a little worse then most when it comes to handgaurds not fitting 100% quite right, but I had a similar experience with the original handguards on my SP1, so even in the 70s Colt was doing similar stuff.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 10:45:59 PM EDT
[#13]
That’s crap. How much did you pay. Shipping included? Colt, FN and similar I have and seen all fit nice and tight and line up well.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 7:44:20 AM EDT
[#14]
https://www.tonyscustomsllc.com/product/c-a-r-standard-handguard-black/

Shipping was $12.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 7:46:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've bought at least a few second contract replacement parts for retro copies and even then I don't have anything that fits that bad.

Maybe I'm just a case study but between A1, A2, A4, and M4 that looks like factory seconds.

Are these USGI or repros?
View Quote

Repos I’m sure. I also have loads of handguards from Armalite, Lonestar Ordnance, etc. and they all fit together great.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 8:45:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So after just going through an ordeal with the poorly made Luth AR upper (see link below for that discussion) I ordered some other retro parts from Tony’s custom uppers. To start with I was charged for UPS ground shipping and then my parts were actually shipped in a cheap flat rate bubble mailer which ended up taking 2 weeks to arrive. (They are in OH and I’m in KY, UPS would have been 2 days)

Today the parts finally arrived and this is the fit of the handguards. I have handguards from 4 other manufacturers and they all fit seamlessly. These are the only ones that fit poorly and they came directly from Tony’s custom uppers. After now dealing with 2 different retro manufacturers and having issues with the quality of both I’m wondering if all retro companies sell junk? I’m honestly afraid to order retro parts from anyone after seeing the quality I’m getting from these 2 places. Am I being too picky?

https://i.ibb.co/D8hLRqC/9-DD0-E5-E4-B2-AA-44-CC-9-B97-5-C907341-D13-A.jpg

Luth Thread
View Quote

I have some rifle length triangular handguards the fit about that well...but they were made for movie prop guns, not real rifles
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 12:16:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Been VERY happy with the items I've got from Tony's.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 3:24:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Thats a little worse then most when it comes to handgaurds not fitting 100% quite right, but I had a similar experience with the original handguards on my SP1, so even in the 70s Colt was doing similar stuff.
View Quote

My retro colt carbine handguards have a little gap in them

It's just how it is. It's a luck of the draw type thing.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 3:24:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I have some rifle length triangular handguards the fit about that well...but they were made for movie prop guns, not real rifles
https://i.imgur.com/qzDHNx6.jpg
View Quote

MGC?
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 5:02:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

MGC?
View Quote

Yup, look like MGC M16 handguards to me ??
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 1:00:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Honestly I have been buying from them for years never had a bad experience I just purchased their pencil barrel 14.5" carbine length barrel assembly for my 723 build anyways excellent stuff just call them to fix it.  Parts bin made AR15 Model 723 https://imgur.com/gallery/x0cZfwn
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 1:08:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Oh in the pic is Tony's barrel assembly ,handguards and buttstock the green A1 grip was a Brownells 601 pistol grip matched my stock set really well.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 1:19:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought a couple lowers from him a while back. Worked out quite well for me, actually lol
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 6:42:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I bought a couple lowers from him a while back. Worked out quite well for me, actually lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear the same about places like DTT/CTD/and Retro Rifles.....occasionally.

Glad to hear that you came out alright.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 2:29:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

MGC?
View Quote

not sure, I have two different styles...I only bought them to use as templates to cut down for a 607 project
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 4:27:23 PM EDT
[#26]
If there was a company who consistently had quality A1 uppers in stock, and all the other quality parts needed, they would do well. It appears Luth makes a lot of the A1 stuff and I personally think the quality of Luth products are pure crap. Every single Luth part I have seen I would not use on my stuff or customer’s stuff either. Brownells had the right idea, but can’t keep the supply needed for the demand.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 5:24:07 PM EDT
[#27]
There's plenty of original 6 hole vintage handguards to be had, although they will cost you more.  I've just bought originals for my retro projects.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 2:00:33 AM EDT
[#28]
I bought some OD CAR handguards from Sherluk Defense. Same poorly fitting crap, probably made by the same company.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 11:02:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Just to update this thread, 9 days ago Tony replied to my email and stated the following:

“Shane,

No, They should not be like that. What is your order number? i always ship the cheapest and that is the Postal service, With is what you were charged.

Thank you,
Tony’s Customs, LLC”
View Quote

I then sent a screen shot showing where I was charged $12.95 for UPS shipping and gave him my order number as requested. 4 days later when I still had not received a reply I sent another email asking what the remedy to this situation would be and never received a reply to that email either. Now here we are 9 days later and still no reply.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 11:12:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Just to update this thread, 9 days ago Tony replied to my email and stated the following:

I then sent a screen shot showing where I was charged $12.95 for UPS shipping and gave him my order number as requested. 4 days later when I still had not received a reply I sent another email asking what the remedy to this situation would be and never received a reply to that email either. Now here we are 9 days later and still no reply.
View Quote

Dispute the charge on your card. 9 days is too long
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 8:53:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Today (17 days after not receiving any email replies) I received an automated shipping email from Tony’s. It didn’t state anything other than a tracking number and eta. Will update once it arrives. Also, just to clarify, no one from Tony’s ever replied to my emails other than the one time 17 days ago saying “no they shouldn’t look like that”.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:16:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Just wanted to provide what I assume will be the final update to this thread. I received the new handguards from Tony’s, unfortunately they were of the same fit/quality as the first set. My recommendation to anyone looking for similar parts would be to try a different vendor. Given my experience with not only the quality, but also the poor communication, I will likely not purchase anything else from Tony’s in the future.

*I will add that the CAR-15 stock kit I received from them seemed to be of decent quality and I did not experience any issues with it. Still, the communication (or lack thereof) did them in for me. I think most vendors underestimate how important communication is to most customers.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top