Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2018 10:48:41 PM EDT
Is the copper fouling as bad as some report?  Non issue?
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 11:31:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't speak to that particular bullet/ round, but even if there is copper fouling, just use some M-Pro 7 non-ammonia copper solvent to remove it. It's not a big deal to worry over.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 11:58:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I've ran nearly 1K of the 110 TAC-TX through my 10" BO, i haven't really noticed it being any worse than any other bullets.

I always clean it after each range session though so it sees maybe 100-200 rounds per.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 2:51:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Iv shot ALOT of 62gr TTSX @ 5.56 pressures, and never had a issue.(1x8 twist)

Shot maybe 300rds of the 110gr 300 blk load and same thing. Never noticed anything (1x7 twist)
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 9:38:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Non issue. I’ve fired several 1,000s of Barnes bullets out of many rifles including 300BLK and have never had a single issue of copper fouling being a problem.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 11:02:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 2:01:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I may be looking at this wrong, but whether the interior of the bullet is copper or lead, the part that’s engaging the rifling is copper. So why would a TSX foul worse than a regular copper/lead bullet?
View Quote
Because they use a softer copper compound than a standard copper jacket.  I think it used to be worse and they made a change at some point because in '12/'13 it seems there were more reports of excessive fouling with what I can turn up on google.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 3:32:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I've shot a combined ~460 TSX & TTSX bullets out of my 338 Federal Kimber Montana and 6.8 SPC AR. I've never really been concerned with copper fouling nor have I noticed any difference from my other guns shooting primarily lead. I wouldn't worry about it as long as you are half decent at maintaining and cleaning your guns.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 10:45:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Because they use a softer copper compound than a standard copper jacket.  I think it used to be worse and they made a change at some point because in '12/'13 it seems there were more reports of excessive fouling with what I can turn up on google.
View Quote
Copper = 99.99% Cu
Brass = Alloy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 11:25:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Who's talking about brass?  Talking projectiles here.

Unless you're pointing out that jacketed bullets actually use copper alloys, not pure copper.  Gilding metal, cupronickel, etc.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 2:14:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Pure copper is very soft compared to steel, but it’s not like lead - you’re not going to scratch it with your fingernail.  And it’s not going to “smear” or otherwise cause copper fouling just because...

Standard bullet jackets are made from gilding metal, a brass alloy of 95% copper and 5% zinc.  The zinc makes gilding metal more elastic, and tougher.  Pure copper is not very springy, which makes it seem softer, but it really isn’t.  Worked copper has a Brinell hardness of about 100, while gilding metal’s hardness is about 114.  That small difference in hardness is not enough to worry about.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 6:42:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Pure copper is very soft compared to steel, but it’s not like lead - you’re not going to scratch it with your fingernail.  And it’s not going to “smear” or otherwise cause copper fouling just because...

Standard bullet jackets are made from gilding metal, a brass alloy of 95% copper and 5% zinc.  The zinc makes gilding metal more elastic, and tougher.  Pure copper is not very springy, which makes it seem softer, but it really isn’t.  Worked copper has a Brinell hardness of about 100, while gilding metal’s hardness is about 114.  That small difference in hardness is not enough to worry about.
View Quote
Way back when I started this thread I was doing research on the 110 Tac-Tx and the 62 and 70 grain TSX in 5.56 and I found some posts on another site that isn't allowed to be cross-posted here claiming copper fouling so bad that accuracy problems appeared in as few as 30 rds.

I've been unable to corroborate those posts on any other site but the ammo forum here moves pretty slow.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top