Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/8/2021 8:29:55 PM EDT
Hello everyone, I'm catching hell and then some trying to remove my current barrel nut (got a new handguard which has its own barrel nut). I'm somewhat new to working on AR's in detail but I've shot them for years, and I know some basic stuff.... Most barrel nuts I've seen actually all!! Have something you can grip to using the delta wrench, or use teeth on the slots of the barrel nut, pipe wrench and so on.... This one is completely smooth, has no notches on the edge like a CMMG factory barrel nut (which is what I thought this was but now I don't know). Ofcourse it's torqued way too much!! And I can't budge it!! I'll upload pics here.... Please any help would be greatly appreciated!! https://photos.app.goo.gl/AFAKR4X3UJGs4F6G8
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 8:51:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Here you go op…

Idk man maybe vice grips or pump pliers and a cheater pipe Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 8:58:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd heat it, and try a plumber's strap wrench first.

If that doesn't work

Then heat, and try pliers or vise grips.

If that doesn't work, I've found a pipe wrench can work, but it will mar up the barrel nut

good luck, before anyone says you may need a dremel  to grind it off, which works by the way.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 9:05:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd heat it, and try a plumber's strap wrench first.

If that doesn't work

Then heat, and try pliers or vise grips.

If that doesn't work, I've found a pipe wrench can work, but it will mar up the barrel nut

good luck, before anyone says you may need a dremel  to grind it off, which works by the way.
View Quote

If you don’t have a heat gun try a blow dryer for a while but that is good advice
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 9:06:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm pretty much at Dremel time! Lol! Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 9:07:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm pretty much at Dremel time! Lol! Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 10:44:08 PM EDT
[#6]
With all due respect; that not a barrel nut, that's a section of threaded pipe.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 10:59:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Heat and a strap wrench
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 7:48:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Since it appears to already have pipe wrench marks on it, heat it with a heat gun as mentioned or a propane touch and get a bigger pipe wrench.  It will come off provided you have the ability to hold the upper firmly in place in a vise fixture of sorts.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 10:53:56 AM EDT
[#9]
If none of the above works, secure the nut in a good vise, preferably one with a pipe holder (but pipe holder not required). Wrap a strap wrench around rcvr near nut. Go for it. If wrench has a good handle, try a cheater bar if needed.

We're it mine and tired of dealing with it, I'd carefully dremel along the circumference of the threads. Perhaps 1.5" long or so. As you see decent progress, begin "spreading" action with a good screwdriver, etc. It will soon "unlock". Or a sawzall, jigsaw, any saw, .......
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 8:43:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Is there a small hole somewhere on it?  If so it takes a spanner wrench for removal. Early CMMG used these type of nuts with their handguards.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 9:42:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks like someone was exerting great effort on the butt-end of the nut directly interfacing with the aluminum threads of the rcvr. Unless cutting the nut, try to avoid that area.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 9:59:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Handheld torch/MAPP gas and this.....

Attachment Attached File
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top