Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2022 4:29:17 PM EDT
I came across someone that had a few of these that wanted to sell them. They are not assembled and in sealed bags. Can I buy them and assemble them or is it now a no-no with the powers that be? Thank you for your insight.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 4:58:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I came across someone that had a few of these that wanted to sell them. They are not assembled and in sealed bags. Can I buy them and assemble them or is it now a no-no with the powers that be? Thank you for your insight.
View Quote

Federally osprey21 is correct, but a number of states, including your indicated New York, have enacted stricter laws and forbid or otherwise restrict home built firearms under "Ghost Gun" laws.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 5:11:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks! I have researched these and someone said superglue to hold together? Do you know anything about this method? I have only seen welded which of course would be best. Also, these are the original kits so he say there is a part upgrade missing? Looks to be the little rectangle part with the single hole.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 5:22:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Federally osprey21 is correct, but a number of states, including your indicated New York, have enacted stricter laws and forbid or otherwise restrict home built firearms under "Ghost Gun" laws.
View Quote

Good catch! Looks like I missed the deadline by 21-22 days =(

By NY law I had until April 25, 2022 to have any non serialized firearm serialized. Guess I’ll be moving 20mins south to PA in the near future, lol…
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 7:25:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow, never heard of these.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 8:17:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 9:10:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:  Thanks! I have researched these and someone said superglue to hold together? Do you know anything about this method? I have only seen welded which of course would be best. Also, these are the original kits so he say there is a part upgrade missing? Looks to be the little rectangle part with the single hole.
View Quote

I tried superglue.  It did not work.

There is a part upgrade - it gives the safety detent channel more meat to fit between.  You can throw a dab of weld there, or better yet weld in a small piece of steel before you drill the safety detent channel from the bottom.

An ARFCOMer brazed a really nice one, so welding is not the only way.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 12:35:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Definitely remember these and wish I had grabbed one if for no other reason than being made of a material that doesn't rely on a surface treatment measured in thousandths of an inch for structural integrity (specifically the fcg pin holes).
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:32:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted: Definitely remember these and wish I had grabbed one if for no other reason than being made of a material that doesn't rely on a surface treatment measured in thousandths of an inch for structural integrity (specifically the fcg pin holes).
View Quote

You can always install steel bushings on your lowers.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:10:16 AM EDT
[#10]
I still have two in plastic bags.  Not really sure why I even bought them as I don't have a welding setup.

They're surprisingly heavy.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:37:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is what has always deterred me personally.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:28:04 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm just here for the "finished" build pics
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:51:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Besides steel, would a similar design made from aluminum work?  I' m assuming steel was the choice due to it being welded via gas or stick if Tig or Mig welding was not an option.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:01:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Besides steel, would a similar design made from aluminum work?  I' m assuming steel was the choice due to it being welded via gas or stick if Tig or Mig welding was not an option.
View Quote

There is a set of plans out there for making a bolt together lower out of multiple pieces of machined aluminum.   Like 9 pieces in total that you would have to transfer from drawing to CAD/CAM for using a CNC mill.  4 of the pieces would require figuring out 4 sided milling strategies.

Toughest piece would be the receiver extension and threading.

Could likely just do the receiver extension out of aluminum then figure out all the other pieces to be 3D printed.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:04:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thanks! I have researched these and someone said superglue to hold together? Do you know anything about this method? I have only seen welded which of course would be best. Also, these are the original kits so he say there is a part upgrade missing? Looks to be the little rectangle part with the single hole.
View Quote

Safety?  The one I helped with @sublimeshooter welded the safety in the fire position.  He may have changed that later.  

Archived Flat Spot Builds

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 9:03:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Here's one I did a few years ago.  Silver-Bronze brazed the parts together with an oxy-ace torch.  Got more pics if anyone is interested.

In-process:

Link Posted: 5/23/2022 9:05:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:  Here's one I did a few years ago.  Nickle-bronze brazed the parts together.  got more pics if anyone is interested.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/306/IMG-7447-199738.JPG

In-process:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/306/IMG-7410-200862.JPG
View Quote

I've always thought yours turned out the best of everyone's.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 9:16:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks!!
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 9:30:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Here's some more pics of my Flat Spot build:

Link Posted: 5/23/2022 10:09:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You can always install steel bushings on your lowers.
View Quote

I have thought about that. I believe there was a company selling kits to do it awhile back also.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 10:10:35 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

Thats dope!
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 1:54:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This is what has always deterred me personally.  
View Quote

Just a few ounces heavier than an aluminum lower.  Once the gun is fully assembled, you will hardly notice the weight increase.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 2:36:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Just a few ounces heavier than an aluminum lower.  Once the gun is fully assembled, you will hardly notice the weight increase.
View Quote

Unless you weld a 1" steel tube on for the receiver extension.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 2:40:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Here's one I did a few years ago.  Nickle-bronze brazed the parts together.  got more pics if anyone is interested.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/306/IMG-7447-199738.JPG

In-process:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/306/IMG-7410-200862.JPG

@Russ4777

That is absolutely beautiful work!!!

I never bought one of those kits because I know I don't have the welding skills to do that kind justice to the piece.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 10:17:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Actually, brazing is a really easy skill to acquire.  Clamping is essential.  If too much brazing rod is applied, you just grind off the excess until it looks pretty.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 9:26:32 PM EDT
[#27]
That was awhile ago! LOL, almost as long as it took me to reply.

The safety was made functional. Initially I wasn’t sure if I wanted to bother drilling for the detent pin, but later did.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 9:46:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:  Thanks! I have researched these and someone said superglue to hold together? Do you know anything about this method? I have only seen welded which of course would be best. Also, these are the original kits so he say there is a part upgrade missing? Looks to be the little rectangle part with the single hole.
View Quote

No, I tried superglue & it didn't work.  You can throw a bead of weld in there just below the safety hole, that will give you more strength in the safety detent channel.

ETA:  Lol, I duped myself.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 11:06:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 11:34:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Supposedly this worked…

https://i.imgur.com/BqBKioA.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:  Definitely remember these and wish I had grabbed one if for no other reason than being made of a material that doesn't rely on a surface treatment measured in thousandths of an inch for structural integrity (specifically the fcg pin holes).

Supposedly this worked…

https://i.imgur.com/BqBKioA.jpg

It did, for 3 shots.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 12:40:30 AM EDT
[#31]
I bought a kit and tried JB weld.  It went together okay, but when I was test firing it, it fell apart. Then I tried Devcon epoxy, and while it worked for a while on magazine number three it also fell apart.  Unless you can braze or weld, it is not worth it in the long term.  An interesting project though, I did try using mapgas and a handheld torch but could not get the parts hot enough to hold the brazing.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 7:26:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Wanna sell one of them?
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 7:27:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I still have two in plastic bags.  Not really sure why I even bought them as I don't have a welding setup.

View Quote

wanna sell one??
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 11:18:55 AM EDT
[#34]
I wish I had bought one. Would love to trace a set and have a template.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 1:48:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

wanna sell one??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

wanna sell one??

What did they cost new?
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 5:34:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

What did they cost new?
View Quote

$26.00 as I recall.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 5:49:45 PM EDT
[#37]
There is also a set of plans out there for a flat plate bolt together aluminum AR lower.   Need to make 9 pieces from the plans.

Would probably be a good project for learning Fusion 360 combined with other facets of CAD/CAM and 3D printing.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 6:28:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 7:28:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:  $26.00 as I recall.
View Quote

The price kept going up.  It started out the cheapest way to build an AR lower, ended up close to an Anderson.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 4:15:38 PM EDT
[#40]
deleted
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 4:16:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
EE LINK
View Quote

A little steep when you can currently buy forged 80%'ers from Gorilla Machining for $39.95.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 4:19:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

A little steep when you can currently buy forged 80%'ers from Gorilla Machining for $39.95.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
EE LINK

That's no lie.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 5:51:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not too bad when you consider the tooling cost to machine a steel lower from scratch.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 4:38:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

That extra weight is a feature
When you are shooting some bigbore rounds
I’m setting up a 458 SOCOM shooting 300gr pills
I have heard that the 458 can crack some Aluminum lowers

Build it on an upper with the pins in with your tightest magazine in it and spring clamps
Weld the buffer tube tower together and treaded before welding it on the lower and have a buffer tube on it and a upper on the lower with a 1” tube in the upper going into the buffer tube
So the buffer tube is perfectly straight with the upper
This will keep the buffer tube and upper on the same axis
The bolt carrier will move with no problems if you do it this way
Add some steel under the safety for a spring detention to be drilled and added
Clean and round off all the parts that are on the outside to not be sharp 90 degrees
Grind or mill a channel in the inside of the magazine well for the bump on the magazine before you start welding
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 4:53:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

That extra weight is a feature
When you are shooting some bigbore rounds
I’m setting up a 458 SOCOM shooting 300gr pills
I have heard that the 458 can crack some Aluminum lowers
View Quote

You won't crack this one.  It would probably handle 50 BMG!!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top