Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2018 9:44:04 PM EDT
I can't figure out how this is supposed to work.

https://www.btibrands.com/product/wheeler-gas-block-taper-pin-removal-tool/

There are two halves that clamp together on the gas block.  One half has holes.  The other does not.  How am I supposed to be able to tap the pins out, if the part without holes is blocking the pins?
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:14:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven’t looked at the Wheeler tool but in most cases, once the taper pins start moving they come out easy.  Unless the tool clamps tight enough they can’t move at all (from the pic it looks like they have room to come out some distance) it should work fine.

What’s not shown is the hard surface and requisite 2.5 to 5-lb. BFH.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 6:55:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I use one of the poly Wheeler bench block.
I use a medium size nail set to break the pins loose, then transition to a straight drift to tap them out.
Most fail to use a large enough hammer, the weight is needed to shock the pin loose.
I use a 3# mini sledge
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 7:03:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I use a BFH, piece of 2x4, and steel punches I don't care about.

What's this special tool you speak of and why is it necessary?
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 7:14:25 AM EDT
[#4]
You don't need that thing. Just get a large and small punch and a hammer. Thwack the small end of the pins with the large punch, repositioning the punch for any subsequent thwacks as necessary. Should only need a couple to loosen it. Then tap out with the small punch.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 7:17:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use one of the poly Wheeler bench block.
I use a medium size nail set to break the pins loose, then transition to a straight drift to tap them out.
Most fail to use a large enough hammer, the weight is needed to shock the pin loose.
I use a 3# mini sledge
View Quote
same
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 8:45:57 AM EDT
[#6]
It looks like there is groove for pins to move/loosen slightly. It looks built to contain them so they dont get lost. Remove tool & push out pins... IDK, just a guess.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 9:17:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It looks like there is groove for pins to move/loosen slightly. It looks built to contain them so they dont get lost. Remove tool & push out pins... IDK, just a guess.
View Quote
There's no groove on it for that.  What you're seeing near the top of it is so it can clamp down on the FSB.  There's a natural bit of room between the end of the taper pin and the side of the FSB.  Just enough for it to be knocked loose.

Not that that silly thing is necessary.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 11:20:38 AM EDT
[#8]
My rifle is the Colt 6920 oem2 with low profile gas block.  I've tried using the brownells block tool and the rifle just rotates in it (without the front sight bit to stabilize it).

I was hoping this tool would give better support.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 11:51:21 AM EDT
[#9]
You shouldn't need anything to clamp it up.  Just set it on a 2x4 and thwack it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 4:15:02 PM EDT
[#10]
You align it over the gas block and squeeze it in a vise.  It pushes the pins flat with the gas block and a little tap pops them out.  I've used it on a couple of Colt and BCM blocks for installation and removal and it was really easy to use.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 6:00:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Bravo Company has had so many inquiries about how to get their taper pins out, they have a whole post in their Industry Forum dedicated to the problem.  It comes down to keeping everything in one place so you can bash on the narrow end of the pin enough to start it moving.

Once they've moved just a little bit, they almost fall out, so you don't need a lot of room for them to move, so I don't know why you'd need a hole for the pin to drop out of in a fixture for this function.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 8:53:08 PM EDT
[#12]
If you know how to remove FSB pins BCM pins are just as easy as any others.   I always use a 5lb hammer and a 7/16" flat end tapered drift punch.

A tap or two on each pin and then they push out with a little 1/8" straight punch.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 6:16:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you know how to remove FSB pins BCM pins are just as easy as any others.   I always use a 5lb hammer and a 7/16" flat end tapered drift punch.

A tap or two on each pin and then they push out with a little 1/8" straight punch.
View Quote
Yep.  Their technique is really “the basic method” for FSB taper pins.  But they lay it out well, and in short sentences with small words so it’s hard to goof it up.  

The real pain is when you find out you FSB has dowel pins instead of taper pins.  They usually need to be driven out past their groove in the barrel - pretty much most of the way out.  It’s quite a bit more of a pain than it should be.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 11:17:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I might have to get one of these to try and use it in the vise.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 12:03:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You align it over the gas block and squeeze it in a vise.  It pushes the pins flat with the gas block and a little tap pops them out.  I've used it on a couple of Colt and BCM blocks for installation and removal and it was really easy to use.
View Quote
really? interdasting.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top