Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2022 11:25:01 PM EDT
Just picked up an 8.6blk barrel and dies and came across the .375 raptor which looked interesting. What do you prefer between the 2? And why? Thanks
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 12:49:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I don’t have one but I definitely want a 375 Raptor. A friend a work has one and the accuracy is crazy good as is the velocity out of the cartridge. Honestly I am a huge nut for 375 projectiles anyways so any excuse to toss more is a good thing IMO.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 6:39:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Was able to get an 8.6 barrel, comp, and dies but think I’d rather run the .375 raptor. Anyone know where they have a barrel in stock? Or someone selling a barrel?
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 9:32:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I picked up a barrel from Omega Rifles a couple years ago, but it seems they no longer have 375 Raptor stuff on their site anymore. I believe X-Caliber does custom barrels in .375 Raptor, that might be the only option available right now.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 8:27:27 AM EDT
[#4]
X-Caliber offers custom barrels chambered in 375 Raptor. Lead time is 12-14 weeks but could be longer depending on whether you add cerakote/cryogenics/fluting. I’ve got 2 X-Caliber barrels (1 AR, 1 Savage prefit) and I’ve been happy with both. The Savage barrel shipped right at their stated lead time of 8 weeks, the AR barrel shipped a few weeks earlier than the stated lead time.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 4:55:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I picked up a barrel from Omega Rifles a couple years ago, but it seems they no longer have 375 Raptor stuff on their site anymore. I believe X-Caliber does custom barrels in .375 Raptor, that might be the only option available right now.
View Quote

What barrel length/twist rate does yours have?
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 5:01:25 AM EDT
[#6]
That Raptor is a very interesting cartridge.
If I was in the market for an AR-10 I'd seriously think about it.
Bonus of 60% more energy than my .300 BLK when using subs.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 6:32:46 AM EDT
[#7]
8.6BLK with 350gr REX Maker Bullets.

I would like to test the 375Raptor next..

8.6 Blackout Is A Game Changer

Link Posted: 7/28/2022 12:17:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I know the 8.6 Blackout has been designed to perform well with both super sonic and sub sonic loads.

I know that the .375 Raptor has been optimized for long heavy for caliber bullets.

But would not .358Win or .338Fed offer many of the benefits of these calibers, with off the shelf options, cost and available ammunition? This is without even considering that one could order a barrel in these calibers with a faster rate of twist.

DB
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 12:32:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a .358 Win, and it's a good cartridge.  i see it as an excellent cartridge for reloading.  The Raptor also uses the .308 Win as its parent cartridge.

200 gr. @ 400 yards.
Elevation -32.12"
Windage 24.07
Energy 1122 ft.lb.
Velocity 1589 fps.

I don't know what bullet was measured.  Mine is a Browning BLR (magazine fed) so it will handle pointy high-ELD bullets.

I can't find much data on the Raptor ballistics.
Interestingly, you can get a BLR chambered for it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 11:03:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What barrel length/twist rate does yours have?
View Quote

I've got an 18" barrel with a 1:10 twist. I liked that the supersonic performance is supposed to give ballistics somewhere between 9x56MS and 9.3x62 Mauser. And there are plenty of big .375" off the shelf molds to cast heavies in the 380-400 grain range. Or I can buy 3/8" brass bar stock and machine my own solids. The 1:10 twist is more than sufficient to stabilize a 1.7" long bullet that weighs 400 grains traveling at 1050fps and can theoreticaly stabilize a 2" long 450-grain bullet at that velocity, so you should be able to launch some pretty heavy bullets subsonic.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 6:45:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
8.6BLK with 350gr REX Maker Bullets.

I would like to test the 375Raptor next..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpg1ZKVnNSM
View Quote

Been following your progress on the 8.6blk and appreciate all the info you’ve shared. A test between the 2 rounds would be amazing.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 6:49:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I've got an 18" barrel with a 1:10 twist. I liked that the supersonic performance is supposed to give ballistics somewhere between 9x56MS and 9.3x62 Mauser. And there are plenty of big .375" off the shelf molds to cast heavies in the 380-400 grain range. Or I can buy 3/8" brass bar stock and machine my own solids. The 1:10 twist is more than sufficient to stabilize a 1.7" long bullet that weighs 400 grains traveling at 1050fps and can theoreticaly stabilize a 2" long 450-grain bullet at that velocity, so you should be able to launch some pretty heavy bullets subsonic.
View Quote

Thanks for the info. Appreciate all the feedback from everyone.
Think I’m going to order a 16” 1:8 twist ar10 profile barrel. Then I could compare the 16” 8.6blk and 16” .375 raptor rounds in semi auto and use the cali key bcg to run them as a bolt action type gun also. Then keep the favorite and sell off the other upper&die set.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 3:47:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I know the 8.6 Blackout has been designed to perform well with both super sonic and sub sonic loads.

I know that the .375 Raptor has been optimized for long heavy for caliber bullets.

But would not .358Win or .338Fed offer many of the benefits of these calibers, with off the shelf options, cost and available ammunition? This is without even considering that one could order a barrel in these calibers with a faster rate of twist.

DB
View Quote

If all you want is supersonic factory hunting loads those two are good options. Neither is ideal for subs because of length. The Raptor and Blackout both use a shorter case to better accommodate long bullets at mag length. As for more available ammo these are all rounds that really need to be reloaded unless you want to spend absurd amounts of money. I have doubts on the 338 Federal longevity and the Raptor's are still fighting for their place but 8.6 Blackout and 358 Winchester will probably be around for a bit.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top