Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2023 12:46:09 AM EDT
I know it doesn’t matter.

However, OLIGHT’s “tan” is a dreadful coppery orange that draws your attention instantly.  I just received four new ODIN Mini in “tan” tonight and while installing them kept thinking “even though these were $130 each this color / finish looks like a Harbor Freight “$2 end cap special deal” flashlight.

I’m not a fit and finish guy but I do very much appreciate quality.  OLIGHT grossly misrepresents the color of these.  Even the picture on the box is an attractive dark earth hue, but when you open the box you’re visually assaulted by Carrot  Top!

Link Posted: 6/2/2023 1:41:10 AM EDT
[#1]
It is def unique yet, I hate Glock FDE more.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 3:49:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I've only ever bought black weapon lights for this reason.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 5:43:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I like it. ??
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 5:52:31 AM EDT
[#4]
No pictures?

Also not entirely sure how this is a technical topic.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 6:05:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Don’t worry it’ll break soon enough then you can have them replace it with a black one

I always buy “FDE” anodized tanodized parts and get kind of annoyed when it’s way different than the picture too. I don’t care it’s different shades than other  but when it’s like gold instead of tan it annoys me
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 7:12:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don’t worry it’ll break soon enough then you can have them replace it with a black one

I always buy “FDE” anodized tanodized parts and get kind of annoyed when it’s way different than the picture too. I don’t care it’s different shades than other  but when it’s like gold instead of tan it annoys me
View Quote

FDE is a very specific color, and has been co-opted by many companies that just use it as a marketing device without any real attempt to produce a product in the same family as FDE.  Unity Tactical is a higher end manufacturer that does this.  Their FDE is gold.  Not even a hint of “tan” in it.

Have you broken an OLIGHT?
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 8:52:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

FDE is a very specific color, and has been co-opted by many companies that just use it as a marketing device without any real attempt to produce a product in the same family as FDE.  Unity Tactical is a higher end manufacturer that does this.  Their FDE is gold.  Not even a hint of “tan” in it.

Have you broken an OLIGHT?
View Quote

I have at least 7 with 5 of them mounted on Glocks, SP5K, 2 AR's and a Warrior flashlight. Let the haters hate them, I have used them moderately and have never had one "break". I didn't like the color emission of one of the lights upon opening one up(it was a bit yellowed to me) and they had a new one in my mailbox within 3 days. I'll keep buying them on sale, tough to beat for the scratch.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 8:56:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I have at least 7 with 5 of them mounted on Glocks, SP5K, 2 AR's and a Warrior flashlight. Let the haters hate them, I have used them moderately and have never had one "break". I didn't like the color emission of one of the lights upon opening one up(it was a bit yellowed to me) and they had a new one in my mailbox within 3 days. I'll keep buying them on sale, tough to beat for the scratch.
View Quote

There are several videos on Youtube with people commenting on the yellow cast to the LED.  One video the guy bought two and one was white while the other yellow.  I bought 4 of the ODIN Mini and have opened two of them so far.  I followed the instructions, charged before turning them on.  They're VERY bright, have great "center focus" and little to no yellow tint in the illumination.  My only compliant, apart from being very heavy, is the color looks nothing "tan".  It is copper at best and orange at worst.  Grabbed a couple of pictures before work today ....
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 9:00:00 AM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 6/2/2023 10:45:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I think Surefire is the only consistent brand, and theirs are more tan than FDE.

Streamlight has two FDE models which a lot of vendors don’t differentiate. Flat Dark Earth and Flat Dark Earth Brown. The normal Flat Dark Earth looks like gold butthole in comparison.

Cloud Defensive OWL versus Cloud Defensive REIN.

I’m okay with variance but do agree. The copper color the Chinese companies are using on lights looks like shit.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 11:58:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I think Surefire is the only consistent brand, and theirs are more tan than FDE.

Streamlight has two FDE models which a lot of vendors don’t differentiate. Flat Dark Earth and Flat Dark Earth Brown. The normal Flat Dark Earth looks like gold butthole in comparison.

https://i.ibb.co/VQfBvYN/495803-E4-C937-43-A6-A027-4710775-B6-DD7.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/cwCHVyk/F70-CA634-0991-45-F9-970-D-D846465-AB90-C.jpg

Cloud Defensive OWL versus Cloud Defensive REIN.

https://i.ibb.co/dD5KLHQ/24-E4-AA31-212-F-4-C93-8438-85264211-EC05.jpg

I’m okay with variance but do agree. The copper color the Chinese companies are using on lights looks like shit.
View Quote

I have several Streamlight FDE and FDB products. I like the brown much better.

My Sig Tango-MSR 1-10x FFP optics came in earlier this week.  They're Chinesium but have a very attractive "FDE / Tanodizedish" color that I like.  In fact, I like it better than my PURPLE Vortex Razors.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 1:20:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I have several Streamlight FDE and FDB products. I like the brown much better.

My Sig Tango-MSR 1-10x FFP optics came in earlier this week.  They're Chinesium but have a very attractive "FDE / Tanodizedish" color that I like.  In fact, I like it better than my PURPLE Vortex Razors.
View Quote

Yeah it’s definitely not just the Chinese and not all Chinese brands. I saw some Vector LPVO that actually looked good too.

I also have a CMT DRT rail that’s probably a perfect match for Olight. Close enough I now wonder if that was by design on CMT’s part.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 5:09:13 PM EDT
[#13]
My Geissele Super Precision 1-6x DMMR1 arrived today.  It is sort of Vortex Razor purple with a bit more "tan" mixed in.  Made in Japan.  In fact, I'm pretty sure its made next to the Razor based upon the construction quality and details.  Oh, and it also weights more than Rosie O'Donnell after an all you can eat buffet.

I definitely do not mind "50 shades of tan". In fact, I like a little bit of "variation". It looks authentic and field expedient.  The Carrot Top orange-copper is a different story.  I have Streamlight ProTac handhelds in tan that look amazing so clearly the Chinese factories can produce a good "fde-ish tan" anodizing.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 5:11:58 PM EDT
[#14]
TECH FORUM

The OLIGHT Odin Mini is a very nice light, especially considering the price.  I really like the locking QD M-Lok mounting system. This enables you to use the light as a handheld or remove it for charging (and in a cramped safe).  The light is BRIGHT too. Their distance claim is accurate as well.  Overall, assuming they're as durable as Honest Outlaw's Youbube videos depict I think its a good value.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 6:18:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
TECH FORUM

The OLIGHT Odin Mini is a very nice light, especially considering the price.  I really like the locking QD M-Lok mounting system. This enables you to use the light as a handheld or remove it for charging (and in a cramped safe).  The light is BRIGHT too. Their distance claim is accurate as well.  Overall, assuming they're as durable as Honest Outlaw's Youbube videos depict I think its a good value.
View Quote

Check out the Javelot Tac when you get a chance. You basically get the throw of an LEP but with some flood.   At close range the beam is so tight that you can literally use it like a laser to aim with.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 9:00:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Check out the Javelot Tac when you get a chance. You basically get the throw of an LEP but with some flood.   At close range the beam is so tight that you can literally use it like a laser to aim with.
View Quote

I will - thank you.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 6:22:24 PM EDT
[#17]
I hate all tan gun accessories and all things Olight.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 10:53:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Olight proprietary 18650 batteries

I still have a proprietary 18650, charging cord, and 2way pocket clip from when I sent my fde warrior mini back for the refund/recall if anybody wants it
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top