Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/21/2024 12:52:36 PM EDT
May be a dumb question, but no such thing as dumb questions on ARFCOM after all. We are well aware with bolt face diameters on gas-delayed blowback & DI-locking bolts for the AR having compatibilities with with different cartridges, either by aversion or intention in their design. The same seems to hold true with some straight blowback bolts for the AR, like .40 S&W & 10mm sharing the same bolt face diameter (and hence, the same AR bolt) per cartridge specs.

Was wondering if the same held true for AR 9mm bolts or .380 ACP bolts; any cartridge cross-compatibility with those blowback bolts, or is an AR-9 bolt worthless without a 9x19 barrel?
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:59:24 PM EDT
[#1]
9x19 Luger is 7.62 Luger necked up. If you get a 7.62 Luger or 7.62 Tok barrel, I'm sure the 9mm bolt would work. Not sure where you would get one but I've heard it done before in the early 2000s iirc
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 1:02:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Southdog:
9x19 Luger is 7.62 Luger necked up. If you get a 7.62 Luger or 7.62 Tok barrel, I'm sure the 9mm bolt would work. Not sure where you would get one but I've heard it done before in the early 2000s iirc
View Quote

Am under the understanding that 7.62 Tok will not actually work, and requires a 5.45 AR bolt to work on a DI-setup instead. At least that's what The AR Guy (formerly Heavy Metal Industries) did with 7.62 Tok uppers back in the day.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 1:46:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I imagine the 7.62Tok as a direct blowback was a little energetic. Using the 5.45 bolt allowed for a closed bolt system.

DB
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 10:01:25 PM EDT
[#4]
At some point in time the now defunct Olympic Arms (O.A.) made a .380 ACP version of their PCC.  From what I've read, thirty were made.  I suspect that an O.A. 9mm bolt was used and perhaps the internal weight (which is a long set screw) was removed from the carrier.  I also speculate the the magazines were O.A. 9mm mags with a short follower and a shim in the ammo channel.

MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 12:29:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By SecondAmend:
At some point in time the now defunct Olympic Arms (O.A.) made a .380 ACP version of their PCC.  From what I've read, thirty were made.  I suspect that an O.A. 9mm bolt was used and perhaps the internal weight (which is a long set screw) was removed from the carrier.  I also speculate the the magazines were O.A. 9mm mags with a short follower and a shim in the ammo channel.

MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.
View Quote

Wait how is this possible? Don't ARs in .380 ACP take a special bolt that's clearly and distinctly identified as such in relation to other ones, like .45 ACP or regular ol' AR-9mm bolts?

Example
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:12:49 PM EDT
[#6]
41 Action Express?
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:29:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By badkarmaiii:
41 Action Express?
View Quote

Lol I applaud the creative instinct there
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:33:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune] [#8]
22tcm (9r)?
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:38:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By giantpune:
22tcm (9r)?
View Quote

Interdasting!
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 10:19:11 PM EDT
[#10]
.38 Super Comp
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 6:33:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By AKzgalore:

Wait how is this possible? Don't ARs in .380 ACP take a special bolt that's clearly and distinctly identified as such in relation to other ones, like .45 ACP or regular ol' AR-9mm bolts?

Example
View Quote

Obviously not ideal or optimal, especially from an extraction point of view, and perhaps that's why only about thirty were ever made by O.A.  Note that in the MAC platform, the so-call "A" tungsten bolt is used in the M11-380 A1 (large magwell) frame receiver with either .380 ACP or 9mm barreled uppers and respective recoil spring and magazines.  So it is doable from a bolt perspective.  Note also, in the example linked, the .380 BCG weighs 14.5 oz. while the 9mm BCG weighs 15.5 oz.
MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 8:53:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By giantpune:
22tcm (9r)?
View Quote

I've heard 22 TCM 9R requires DI or some other form of gas operation, as straight blowback will damage the bolt (AR-9 one in question here)...does anyone even make blowback .22 TCM 9R AR barrels (i.e., no gas port drilled, no M4 extension)?
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 12:16:32 AM EDT
[#13]
You can do the .30 Luger, Tok, 9x23, etc., BUT you will damage the brass.  Damages 9mm brass to extent, but 9mm is easy to replace.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 10:28:01 AM EDT
[#14]
I've heard 22 TCM 9R requires DI or some other form of gas operation, as straight blowback will damage the bolt (AR-9 one in question here)...does anyone even make blowback .22 TCM 9R AR barrels (i.e., no gas port drilled, no M4 extension)?
View Quote

On the Uzitalk.com website in the MACTalk forum there is an ongoing discussion of shooting .22TCM via blowback operation.  As I have no interest in the topic, I have not read it.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 4:41:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By SecondAmend:

On the Uzitalk.com website in the MACTalk forum there is an ongoing discussion of shooting .22TCM via blowback operation.  As I have no interest in the topic, I have not read it.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
View Quote

Link please?

All I could find was this old dead post.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 9:28:50 PM EDT
[#16]

Link please?

All I could find was this old dead post.
View Quote

https://www.uzitalk.com/forums/index.php?threads/mac-11-conversion-to-22tcm.99985/
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top