Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2019 1:41:39 PM EDT
How do you all store your ammo? I've been looking at gun safes but after alot of research anything in my price range 600ish all suck. Seriously, watch videos on YouTube on how to brake into them. Anyways, just looking for options on storage and organization. Thanks
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 2:06:14 PM EDT
[#1]
If I had ammo, I would store it in 50 cal and SAW ammo cans with desiccant, neatly marked on the outside.  1K of boxed 5.56 fits in a 50 cal ammo can.  If I had ammo.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 2:37:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Fighting ammo in a .50cal can, loaded stash-mags in .30/.50/tall-fifty cans buried or otherwise stashed in weird places, and factory cases stay in their sealed packaging and get tucked behind/underneath cupbards and shit.

Even if someone went a-lootin' and was clever enough to find "something", they couldn't possibly find "everything" unless they spent a week tossing the place.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 3:50:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't put ammo in a gun safe
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 3:51:10 PM EDT
[#4]
If you think someone will steal your stuff, move.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 4:50:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you think someone will steal your stuff, move.
View Quote
Petty theft isn't nearly the nuisance that egregious 2A violations are, yet your profile says "Virginia"
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 9:00:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I keep mine in a Knack jobsite box that I picked up cheap .

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 9:27:21 PM EDT
[#7]
A separate gun safe strictly for ammo.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 9:51:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Why?
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 10:28:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Why?
View Quote
If someone manages to break into one of the two safes, they still only have half of the items needed to become an armed threat.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 1:39:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Weapons (outside of CC/bedside pistol) in the safe, ammo in 50 cal cans, which are themselves inside of a locked container. The latter could be broken into without too much trouble, but without the firearms I don't view it as anything but a financial liability. I can live with that.

+1 on not having guns and ammo in the same physical space, especially if there are kids in the house. To each their own, of course.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 6:17:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If someone manages to break into one of the two safes, they still only have half of the items needed to become an armed threat.
View Quote
But all my guns are loaded all the time. What good does it do to have ammo cans separate? And what good is an unloaded gun?
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 6:24:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How do you all store your ammo? I've been looking at gun safes but after alot of research anything in my price range 600ish all suck. Seriously, watch videos on YouTube on how to brake into them. Anyways, just looking for options on storage and organization. Thanks
View Quote
So what do you store your guns in?

Do you expect people to be able to break into your home with the alarm going off, take a gun safe bolted to the floor and pry your door open before you, a neighbor,or police arrive?

Its one thing to knock over an empty safe on Youtube and pry it in an open space on its back. Its another to do that in tight confines, with it bolted to the floor, and an alarm going off. Burglars just dont do that.

I keep ammo in ammo cans when possible. In my safe when it fits.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 7:37:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 7:39:49 AM EDT
[#14]
My motto is never put all of your eggs in one basket.  If I had guns and ammo, I would make it hard to get all at once.
But that’s just me.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 8:58:05 AM EDT
[#15]
I put shelving in under my stairs and store everything in ammo cans neatly labeled.  Put a locking door knob on.  Even though it's just a hollow core door, it keeps the kids out of it.  All the guns are in a safe in the corner.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 9:02:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

But all my guns are loaded all the time. What good does it do to have ammo cans separate? And what good is an unloaded gun?
View Quote
Then in principle you ought not to be using a safe at all; if an unloaded gun is no use, what good is one that's locked up?
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 9:11:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Why not?

Do you mean not in the same safe the firearms are in or not in their own safe?

All of my factory ammo is in cans. Reloads that will be used within the year sit on a shelf. Most of the cans are in a dedicated ammo safe. Overflow cans are in locked wooden crates. Each gun safe has loaded firearms and a basic load-out of loaded mags for the fighting rifles. Bugout bag has loaded rifle and pistol mags. I store ammo lots of different ways in multiple places...
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 10:41:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

20mm for bulk

50s/30s loaded like this

in a couple of these

specialty ammo crates

I reccomend building with plywood or 2x12s-cheaper and less space lost
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 10:51:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Weapons (outside of CC/bedside pistol) in the safe, ammo in 50 cal cans, which are themselves inside of a locked container. The latter could be broken into without too much trouble, but without the firearms I don't view it as anything but a financial liability. I can live with that.

+1 on not having guns and ammo in the same physical space, especially if there are kids in the house. To each their own, of course.
View Quote
Yup, that is me.  CC and/or bedside weapon loaded/not kept locked up.  Everything else is unloaded and in a safe, with ammo in a different safe.  I do have young kids in the house.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 4:49:10 PM EDT
[#20]
In 30 cal ammo cans. I used to use 50 cal ammo cans but they are too heavy for me. Then place them on a storage rack 2 deep.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 7:47:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I use my safe for guns and a cheap job box for ammo in ammo cans.  If someone wants to steal my job box they will need a crane. I don't think a thief is looking for ammo anyway, they can't carry much for what its worth. JMHO.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 7:49:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If I had ammo, I would store it in 50 cal and SAW ammo cans with desiccant, neatly marked on the outside.  1K of boxed 5.56 fits in a 50 cal ammo can.  If I had ammo.
View Quote
^^^
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 7:50:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
I would also store all of those ammo cans in an ammo locker.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 8:07:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I use my safe for guns and a cheap job box for ammo in ammo cans.  If someone wants to steal my job box they will need a crane. I don't think a thief is looking for ammo anyway, they can't carry much for what its worth. JMHO.
View Quote
This is actually true probably a decade or so ago I moved out a buddies house and my room still had a lot of my stuff in it as I was actually in the middle of the move. Anyhow I had a few ammo cans full of 762x39 that was still there with my stuff and the house was broken into and while they took some lighter .22lr ammo and 10-22 mags they left the heavy cans there.

Edit- still would hide or secure your stuff but in a quick burglary I can see a thief not being able to lug 100s of pounds of ammo out in most cases.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 9:16:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 10:33:06 PM EDT
[#26]
.50 cal ammo cans in my air conditioned closet, it should last longer than I do. And if it's for long term storage that you don't intend on accessing on a regular basis, make it even, put a piece plywood
and carpeting over it and you can still keep your shoes on top of the new closet floor.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 8:42:06 AM EDT
[#27]
I have a split level house so I made these shelves under the stairs.  Works pretty handy to get at what you want.

Link Posted: 1/12/2020 9:31:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have a split level house so I made these shelves under the stairs.  Works pretty handy to get at what you want.
View Quote
@Weasel_Master

I need to do something like that.   Any time I need a can I find myself digging for it.   It looks like your span is a little over three feet, correct?   And can I ask what your heavier cans weigh?   How long have you been using it?

Thanks,

2Hut8
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:18:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

@Weasel_Master

I need to do something like that.   Any time I need a can I find myself digging for it.   It looks like your span is a little over three feet, correct?   And can I ask what your heavier cans weigh?   How long have you been using it?

Thanks,

2Hut8
View Quote
I can measure it.  I want to say 42".  Ill weigh a few cans but the shelf of 5.56 the cans are full to the brim.  I've had it 2 or 3 years now.  I glued and screwed a plywood backed on it and it hasn't sagged at all.

I was where you are, having to dig to find what I wanted.  I got the idea off someone on here.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 1:28:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

@Weasel_Master

Thanks,
2Hut8
View Quote
you can go up to any width BUT you have to support the back with ply wood glue it and screw it or it will sag. I do mine 4' wide that will get 12x30 cal cans or 7x 50 cal can per shelf.

I have been using the shelves over 15 years, still havent sagged. I have 3 of them now plus 20mm storage area.

50 cal can of 9mm will weight about 55 lbs, most rifle ammo will weight around 25-30ish each. you could have up to 300-400 lbs per shelf

Link Posted: 1/12/2020 1:46:08 PM EDT
[#31]
"plywood back"   Yep.  that is the detail that isn't evident in the picture.   Now I understand how it handles the weight.

Thanks.

2Hut8
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 1:40:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/47916/knack_jpg-1214594.JPG
View Quote
Well, drat... I posted that idea on a similar thread and thought I was original.

So, if you said you had two boxes per gun, it would have a whole different meaning.

How much can you store in one of those?
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 9:55:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Always looking for fuse cans and fat 50s, cheap.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 12:40:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Threads like this make me feel pretty good about my fort.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 9:30:01 AM EDT
[#35]
In my shop on shelves.  Floor is empty ammo cans middle shelf. Packaged ammo still in their shipping  boxes and top shelf is ammo cans, one for each caliber full.

When i go to the range i take the top shelf can.  When it runs low i open a package from the middle shelf and move it to the can on the top shelf and note it on my ammo inventory.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 9:44:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

20mm for bulk
https://i.imgur.com/dykC1Ks.jpg
50s/30s loaded like this
https://i.imgur.com/3fFvwwZ.jpg
in a couple of these

https://i.imgur.com/SiZEi9j.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/P0KCf4l.jpg
specialty ammo crates
https://i.imgur.com/9QaDFOH.jpg

I reccomend building with plywood or 2x12s-cheaper and less space lost
View Quote
Where have I seen this???
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 10:02:31 AM EDT
[#37]
This question.

The ARMY will probably figure it out someday.

My bet is they will pick AMMO CANS.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 10:06:43 AM EDT
[#38]
If your supply is limited, shelves can make your pile easier to access.

Otherwise, stack it on the floor, and keep a LIST of columns and rows so you don’t have to go on an Easter egg hunt every time you look for that can of 38-55 ammo.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 10:40:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
If your supply is limited, shelves can make your pile easier to access.

Otherwise, stack it on the floor, and keep a LIST of columns and rows so you don’t have to go on an Easter egg hunt every time you look for that can of 38-55 ammo.
View Quote
I use Avery labels to mark the cans with what's in them.  The labels are cheap and if the contents change just cover it with a new label.

I have old metal book shelves that I keep the cans on.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 11:29:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Problem is when the stack of cans becomes more than one row deep (front-to-back).

Then you can't see the labels on the back rows. That's why you need a LIST.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 11:08:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/47916/knack_jpg-1214594.JPG
View Quote
Do you put your ammo cans in there, or do you just dump bulk packs in it?
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top