Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2021 3:15:16 PM EDT
I have some plastic ammo cans I store my boxed ammo in.

I want to throw some silica gel in there to help prevent any type of mositure or corrision.

What are you guys using?
I've seen the "rechargable" ones on Amazon and they all have really mixed reviews it seems.
Can just get the standard packs, but not sure how long they really last for and there really isn't a way to tell when they are 'done' and need to be replaced?

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 3:26:53 PM EDT
[#1]
The US issue metal cans have a better seal than the made in china Harbor Freight or Cabela's plastic boxes. If your seal is good, one oxygen absorber is all you need.

You can buy 100 500cc Oxygen Absorbers for $20. I have them for sealing food in mylar bags.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 4:59:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The US issue metal cans have a better seal than the made in china Harbor Freight or Cabela's plastic boxes. If your seal is good, one oxygen absorber is all you need.

You can buy 100 500cc Oxygen Absorbers for $20. I have them for sealing food in mylar bags.
View Quote

Oxygen absorbers? Those are for storing biological food substances.

You need "moisture absorbers" as in silica gel or oven restorable clay type packs.

Link Posted: 4/8/2021 6:27:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 8:39:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I use these. $11 for a 50 pack.

Amazon Dry and Dry desiccant packs

I throw 5 in each ammo can and change them 1 time per year. Non salty ammo cans tend to have good seals, these aren't really needed but it is cheap insurance.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 10:22:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I use these. $11 for a 50 pack.

Amazon Dry and Dry desiccant packs

I throw 5 in each ammo can and change them 1 time per year. Non salty ammo cans tend to have good seals, these aren't really needed but it is cheap insurance.
View Quote

Cool, thanks.  I'm about to order a 24 pack of the 50 gram version.

In your experience do they arrive ready to go or do they need to be recharged from the get go?
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 8:07:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Cool, thanks.  I'm about to order a 24 pack of the 50 gram version.

In your experience do they arrive ready to go or do they need to be recharged from the get go?
View Quote

They should be ready to go. they come in a sealed bag.

Link Posted: 4/10/2021 9:16:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

They should be ready to go. they come in a sealed bag.

View Quote

Thanks, appreciate it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 1:41:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I just toss in the absorbers from vitamins, packages, and whatever else they come in. You'd be amazed how many of those you run across in a week.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 3:20:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Make your own.

Go to the craft store, buy Flower Drying Silica Gel.
Silica Gel in Bags

Buy something like this to put it in.
Wedding Favor Bags, Organza

Throw it in the can and seal it.
Done. Cheap. It's Renewable next year.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top