Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2022 8:28:49 PM EDT
I've cleaned all my firearms the same for ever. I usually just solvent + patch till clean with Hoppes Elite or MPro 7, then just lube the areas that need lube and call it good. I realized for a long time I used to spray one spray of solvent in the barrel, and let it sit while I'm cleaning the rest. For both my AR and pistols. Then I'll run a bore snake through it a few times till I feel like it's clean and dry.

I just realized I might be the only person doing that. Should I avoid spraying solvent directly in the barrels in favor of just putting some on the bore snake and giving it a few runs?
Also, is it cool to use the same solvent that I use to clean the rest of the firearm? I see some people use dedicated bore cleaning solvents, and just want to make sure I'm not neglecting the barrel by using normal solvents to clean it. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 9:17:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Spraying a little cleaning solvent down the barrel will not hurt a thing.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 12:45:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Cool, thanks
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 10:17:45 AM EDT
[#3]
If you don't replace the oils you've removed with that solvent, and the part CAN rust, it will. So in that sense you can hurt things. But otherwise... whatever floats your boat. I'd say about 1/2 my Slip2k use is as a rust prevention method rather than lubricant. I rarely use it as a cleaner, preferring Bore Tech for that.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 11:42:27 AM EDT
[#4]
The way I see it is some of the solvent will go into the gas tube and you'll have some either rolling into the barrel or into the bcg. If you keep it down you'll likely see some liquid or blue color liquid drain out after a few hours. I always use some brake cleaner to spray out the gas tube then the bore.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 4:25:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Ditch the bore snake and use a 1 piece coated rod with jag and patches. The snake just keeps pulling the dirt back thru that you're trying to remove.
Jon
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top