Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2019 3:16:27 AM EDT
How many more rounds can be fired through a stainless steel magazine than an aluminum one before it is shot? Twice as many? Three times as many? The same amount?

Assume the magazines will not be dropped and there is a supply of replacement followers and magazine springs.
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 10:06:43 AM EDT
[#1]
By aluminum mags or even PMAGS.  I have aluminum GI mags that have over 30K rounds shot through them that are 30 years old without issues.  The only issues I've ever had with a quality magazine became apparent right from the start.  I know everyone says mags are disposable wear and tear items, but I have never worn a mag out and I shoot over 15K rounds per year for decades.
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 12:35:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 8:28:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Steel can rust. Aluminum doesn't. No thanks!
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 8:50:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Aluminum Okays
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 8:48:58 AM EDT
[#5]
@Green: Thanks for your post!

Thanks, all.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 11:30:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Part of me wants to think a stainless mag has to be tougher but regular aluminum GI mags have stood the test of time .

I am a great fan of old school GI 20's .

Not something one even has to worry about. I think about mags like I think about gun oil. By whatever color or brand that works for you . If you have some to use and some more as a set aside for the end of the world event you are good to go without overthinking things
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 8:56:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I run both and IMHO no difference in service life.
I’ve seen Vietnam era mags still running fine although they’ve probably gotten new springs, maybe a new follower. Brownells sells a tool for reshaping the feed lips if they get out of shape so theoretically either body could last forever.
Now I prefer steel mags just cause they’re stronger but I’ve never worn out an Okay/Surefeed, D&H or Brownells aluminum mag.

I do prefer stainless steel springs over chrome silicon, I shoot a lot of corrosive surplus in other calibers and the chrome silicone springs started rusting quickly, the stainless didn’t.

And just to muddy the waters, Lancers are my favorite. But any mag is disposable, when it fails, I buy another.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 11:50:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:...And just to muddy the waters, Lancers are my favorite. But any mag is disposable, when it fails, I buy another.
View Quote
We can buy another one as of now. That could change in the future. That's why I started this thread. Hypothetically, if a stainless mag can feed twice as many rounds as an aluminum or polymer mag, I would be inclined to get stainless. Apparently, they can't. Not to mention the brands that offer stainless mags aren't as good as Okay Ind.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 2:14:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Considering the manufacturers of Stainless magazines vs the manufacturers of Aluminum magazines, I wouldn’t even consider purchasing Stainless magazines!

Personally, I’d purchase Okay Industries and then not have anything to worry about.
View Quote
<THIS!

C-Products and ASC are some of the worst magazines I own. I could blame it on 6.5/6.8 calibers, but even their 5.56mm magazines are flimsy and unlovable.

Okay Enterprises
Brownell's
Magpul in that order.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 9:42:37 AM EDT
[#10]
FWIW I have zero problems with either. A loaded aluminum 30rd mag is surprisingly tough. I took a pretty nasty fall down a slope while wearing kit and I thought my AL mags were gonna be damaged. Swapped them out to finish the patrol and when I got back inspected all of them. They were perfectly fine, and function tested fine.  I still have them too.

Haven't tested a steel mag but I'd have a hard time imagining they would fare any worse. Beating on an empty mag is a "no shit it's gonna break dummy" sort of thing for me. Or dropping either while loaded on the feed lips.
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 7:59:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Just don’t step on any of your aluminum mags if they’re no longer made.

Seriously though, if that’s what you’re worried about, just buy good quality mags and buy a LOT of them.

Most stainless steel mags are pricier than aluminum so you could stock up on more of those.

But if I only had one mag for the rest of my life, I’d take a steel one.
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 1:10:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
FWIW I have zero problems with either. A loaded aluminum 30rd mag is surprisingly tough. I took a pretty nasty fall down a slope while wearing kit and I thought my AL mags were gonna be damaged. Swapped them out to finish the patrol and when I got back inspected all of them. They were perfectly fine, and function tested fine.  I still have them too.

Haven't tested a steel mag but I'd have a hard time imagining they would fare any worse. Beating on an empty mag is a "no shit it's gonna break dummy" sort of thing for me. Or dropping either while loaded on the feed lips.
View Quote
Yet driving over them with a pickup truck was by far most talked about event on this very forum.
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 8:15:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yet driving over them with a pickup truck was by far most talked about event on this very forum.
View Quote
I never understood why that's a thing. Unless you intend to run over your mags with your F-150 on a regular basis?
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 8:24:11 AM EDT
[#14]
I have no issue with stainless steel magazines.

I like them and they are tougher than aluminum.

I have AR15 aluminum magazines missing floor plate ears.
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 8:54:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Quoted:

I never understood why that's a thing. Unless you intend to run over your mags with your F-150 on a regular basis?
View Quote
You can thank Magpul for that nonsense.  Hardly indicative of real world situations.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 11:49:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You can thank Magpul for that nonsense.  Hardly indicative of real world situations.
View Quote
Yes but they had a large fan club here and to voice any opinion otherwise was blasphemy.  I thought it was a neat parlor trick, until the famous SGN test came out and it was discovered that you could run over most magazines and not cause much damage.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 11:35:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
I don't think I've ever seen rusted stainless steel.  That said the military has used plain steel magazines for over a century and in unaware of any major problems.  A few come to mind: 1911, BAR, M1 carbine, M14, TSMG, M1 rifle ( yes technically not a magazine but a piece of sheet metal either way.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:06:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have no issue with stainless steel magazines.

I like them and they are tougher than aluminum...
View Quote
I just recalled aluminum mags are .040" thick, whereas stainless steel mags are .020" thick. The stainless ones are a little or so heavier than aluminum ones, at least when comparing the two between one manufacturer. That said, is the stainless or aluminum mag stronger/tougher?
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:08:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
How many more rounds can be fired through a stainless steel magazine than an aluminum one before it is shot? Twice as many? Three times as many? The same amount?

Assume the magazines will not be dropped and there is a supply of replacement followers and magazine springs.
View Quote
Another angle to this is what if steel cased ammo is used? Does that change anything?
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:35:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:04:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

400 Series Stainless will rust, 300 Series won’t
View Quote
True, to a degree.

When stainless steel is exposed to oxygen, chromium oxide is created on the surface of the steel . As long as there is sufficient chromium present, the chromium oxide layer will continue to protect the stainless steel and prevent it from rusting.

Chromium content is key.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 10:17:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Another angle to this is what if steel cased ammo is used? Does that change anything?
View Quote
I'll let you know if it ever does.  I shoot a nearly 100% diet of steel cased out of my guns.  I've got at least a few magazines stamped with early/mid 90s dates.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 5:48:50 PM EDT
[#23]
I prefer Aluminum.......
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 6:18:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Steel mags? Just say no kids.

Okay Surefeed/D&H or Magpul Pmags.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 8:05:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Steel mags? Just say no kids.

Okay Surefeed/D&H or Magpul Pmags.
View Quote
Any reasons not stated above?
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 8:56:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 9:03:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Any reasons not stated above?
View Quote
Because I’m not impressed with there reliability over high round counts.

And I have yet to find anyone reputable who recommends them. Pmags and USGI are proven, no need to gamble to subpar mags.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 4:50:51 PM EDT
[#28]
I think the OP was asking a theoretical question.  It seems to me they SS might be a better material to make mags out of because it is tougher than aluminum.  It gets back to the original question and probably the most discussed thing on this forum: “ How tough do magazines need to be”? It certainly would be more expensive and the magazines would be heavier.  I don’t think a decent company has made a serious effort to make a true SS magazine.  ( yes I know C prod made one but notice I said decent company).
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 6:31:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 8:46:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks again for the replies, all.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 10:53:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
A former member here (87GN) did quite a bit of magazine torture testing and a lot of it was steel (& stainless steel) against G.I. Aluminum magazines.

He came to the conclusion that Aluminum was overall a better material.
View Quote
A couple of problems with his testing:
1.He squeezed them in a hydraulic press until they broke, hardly a realistic situation.
2. The SS mags he tested were made by C Products, hardly any type of standard.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 12:49:41 AM EDT
[#32]
The HK mags still sucked.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 4:49:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
1.He squeezed them in a hydraulic press until they broke, hardly a realistic situation.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A former member here (87GN) did quite a bit of magazine torture testing and a lot of it was steel (& stainless steel) against G.I. Aluminum magazines.

He came to the conclusion that Aluminum was overall a better material.
I sent an email to C-Products about their mags. One of their guys sent back a generous response. Their latest mags are called Duramags. Maybe it is a step forward.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 7:15:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Steel magazines (stainless included) dent easier than aluminum magazines.. once a steel magazine is dented it will only feed ammo up to the dent then a stoppage occurs. If you don’t intend to lay on your magazines on uneven ground and you treat your magazines nicely then stainless magazines are fine.

I take care of my magazines but after witnessing stoppages with steel magazines I would never recommend them.

My .02
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 8:05:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 8:42:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It’s kind of like ProMags, they only have one way to go.  
View Quote
A few years ago ProMags sold more magazines than anyone else according to Gun Tests magazine.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 8:44:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 10:00:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

A few years ago ProMags sold more magazines to suckers than anyone else according to Gun Tests magazine.
View Quote
Fixed that.

I was one of them at one point. Junk mags, all 3 platforms IME.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 11:41:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 1:53:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
One of the members over on fnforums.net purchased 3 ProMag FN PS90 50 rd mags.

None of them worked after three loadings, he called the vendor and they told him “Just throw them away and we’ll credit the money back to your card”.
View Quote
That's funny.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 1:59:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It goes to prove that there’s one born every minute.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A few years ago ProMags sold more magazines than anyone else according to Gun Tests magazine.
It goes to prove that there’s one born every minute.
I just located the magazine. This Gun Tests issue is a bit older than I thought. It is in the April, 2013 issue.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 2:07:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
Unless it's Chinese's stainless doesn't rust.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 2:11:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

True, to a degree.

When stainless steel is exposed to oxygen, chromium oxide is created on the surface of the steel . As long as there is sufficient chromium present, the chromium oxide layer will continue to protect the stainless steel and prevent it from rusting.

Chromium content is key.
View Quote
Aluminum oxidizes and become brittle over time.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 2:18:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 7:33:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

RAW Aluminum oxidizes and CAN become brittle over time.
View Quote
Fixed that.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 4:00:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Every single type of magazine has its benefits and cons.

Steel is heavier and can rust.  Steel is more durable and resistant to bent feed lips than Aluminium.
Aluminum mags can deform and have feed lips bent if dropped much easier.  Aluminium will crack when stressed to much.  Aluminium is lighter and work very well when not overly abused.  They are cheap and easy to come by.
Plastic can crack from fatigue usually along the spine.  They are light weight and very durable.

I have steel, aluminium, and plastic of all variations and hybrid (Lancer).  The ones I have had most trouble with were the aluminium and that was from them falling and hitting on the feed lips.  The lips bend if the mag has any weight to it and cause malfunctions when dropped.  Also I have seen aluminium mags get crushed before when guys drop to prone fully geared up.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 5:12:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Every single type of magazine has its benefits and cons.

Steel is heavier and can rust.  Steel is more durable and resistant to bent feed lips than Aluminium.
Aluminum mags can deform and have feed lips bent if dropped much easier.  Aluminium will crack when stressed to much.  Aluminium is lighter and work very well when not overly abused.  They are cheap and easy to come by.
Plastic can crack from fatigue usually along the spine.  They are light weight and very durable.

I have steel, aluminium, and plastic of all variations and hybrid (Lancer).  The ones I have had most trouble with were the aluminium and that was from them falling and hitting on the feed lips.  The lips bend if the mag has any weight to it and cause malfunctions when dropped.  Also I have seen aluminium mags get crushed before when guys drop to prone fully geared up.
View Quote
The steel used in the stainless steel mags are .020" thick, the aluminum ones .040" thick. This needs to be taken into account when comparing.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top