Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2021 4:23:37 PM EDT
Which is better for an aluminum barrel nut - AeroShell 33MS Mil Spec Armorer's Grease or anti-seize ?
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 5:34:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Which is better for an aluminum barrel nut - AeroShell 33MS Mil Spec Armorer's Grease or anti-seize ?
View Quote

I would personally go with AeroShell.

Link Posted: 4/29/2021 6:10:39 PM EDT
[#2]
AeroShell.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 6:40:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Some anti-seize has graphite in it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 2:22:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Some anti-seize has graphite in it.
View Quote

I agree, I would use Permatex 77134 that is labelled as nickel based - typical use is for spark plugs.
This is the first time I will be using an aluminum barrel nut - always used Aero shell for past builds with steel barrel nuts.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 3:14:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Interesting thought about using antiseize. I would imagine it would do fine with the temperatures involved and that it is designed for an Al to steel connection.

I've used lithium grease with Al barrel nuts and they came apart without issue. One loosened up when I only used about 30 ft/lb torque to time it with the gas tube. It got re-torqued to 80lb/ft and eventually replaced with a steel nut when the rail was changed out with a lighter profile. The Al nut came with a cheap CN rail from ebay and the metallurgy/machining was likely crap.

The expansion coefficient of Al is almost twice that of steel. I originally thought it would be a good thing to have the same material for the expansion rates, but after experiencing that Al nut loosening up I've changed my mind. A steel barrel nut won't expand as fast as Al and will have a tighter fit as the barrel heats up.

If it were me, I'd just use the Aeroshell and check once in awhile to make sure it hasn't loosened up.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top