Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2022 4:51:18 PM EDT
I feel like a fucking walnut. I cannot believe I did this and almost destroyed a brand new Geissele super duty topped with a Vortex razor.

I’ve had a 300 blackout for two whole weeks. I have been terrified of mixing them up knowing what will happen. I got separate magazines and marked them with red tape, and avoided loading them in the same area, just to be extra careful.

This morning at the range I shoot 29 rounds and for some reason the last one doesn’t fire.  I see it didn’t chamber all the way so I tapped the forward assist. Nothing. Try pulling the charging handle back and it is firmly stuck.  Try mortaring it with no luck.

I ended up taking it into a gunsmith who was able to eject the round. I was horrified at what popped out… One random 300 blackout round.

Maybe 300 blackout isn’t for me. I’ve been reloading for several years, I’m careful, and I’ve never made a mistake that bad. I am going to be wondering how that happened for a long time. I went home and will unloaded over 600 rounds from my mags and didn’t find another.  Wtf….

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 5:09:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I did the same thing.  Luckily, the S&B 200 grainer didn't let it fit.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 5:17:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I did the same thing.  Luckily, the S&B 200 grainer didn't let it fit.
View Quote

It's not an issue for subs. Subs won't chamber.

OP, you got lucky.

I never keep mags loaded. I load at the bench and double and triple check every round that goes in. You can't get complacent.

Somewhere, a double check would have saved you. This time luck did.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 5:29:35 PM EDT
[#3]
That could have been a lot worse.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 5:40:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It's not an issue for subs. Subs won't chamber.

OP, you got lucky.

I never keep mags loaded. I load at the bench and double and triple check every round that goes in. You can't get complacent.

Somewhere, a double check would have saved you. This time luck did.
View Quote

Yeah. What really bugs me is having spent years wondering how people aren’t more careful and mix them up, making damn sure I was cognizant of keeping them separate, and still having it happen to me within two weeks of getting it.

I’m wondering if maybe a friend or family member thought they were being helpful by loading up a mag for me at the previous range trip and did it.

I feel extremely lucky either way.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 5:56:33 PM EDT
[#5]
You got lucky!
I remember a thread not too long about about someone demanding super duty and needed to call Bill, only to find out they had a danger noodle.

I don't shoot much 5.56, so it isn't a concern for me, but yeah...someone else loading a mag for you could cause a serious problem.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 8:06:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yeah. What really bugs me is having spent years wondering how people aren’t more careful and mix them up, making damn sure I was cognizant of keeping them separate, and still having it happen to me within two weeks of getting it.

I’m wondering if maybe a friend or family member thought they were being helpful by loading up a mag for me at the previous range trip and did it.

I feel extremely lucky either way.
View Quote

I've done some experimenting and for the most part it's only the 110 gr bullets that allow a cartridge to chamber and fire. I've commited myself to only use bullets of 125 gr and above to be safe. Your bullet looks to be heavier than that. Of course a lightly crimped, or uncrimped, bullet could be forced into the case and go off.
600 rounds of loaded magazines is impressive.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 9:03:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I've done some experimenting and for the most part it's only the 110 gr bullets that allow a cartridge to chamber and fire. I've commited myself to only use bullets of 125 gr and above to be safe. Your bullet looks to be heavier than that. Of course a lightly crimped, or uncrimped, bullet could be forced into the case and go off.
View Quote

Wow. If that’s the case I’m really glad I posted this and appreciate the tip. I’m going to check that out myself, and if so I will only buy higher grain bullets and rest easier.

And yeah, the last thing I want to do when I am at the range or doing a class and spend time loading mags.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 9:29:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Wow. If that’s the case I’m really glad I posted this and appreciate the tip. I’m going to check that out myself, and if so I will only buy higher grain bullets and rest easier.

And yeah, the last thing I want to do when I am at the range or doing a class and spend time loading mags. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/524856/12FCB24B-A314-4FC6-A3A4-322E6C82EC0A_jpe-2358447.JPG
View Quote

Pardon me for intruding on this, but wouldn't getting translucent Lancers give some piece of mind for instant munition type checks?

Seems like a solid solution instead of abandoning something entirely. Anyway, just my observation POV from a person who doesn't use 300 BO.

Link Posted: 4/22/2022 10:05:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Pardon me for intruding on this, but wouldn't getting translucent Lancers give some piece of mind for instant munition type checks?

Seems like a solid solution instead of abandoning something entirely. Anyway, just my observation POV from a person who doesn't use 300 BO.

View Quote

Those are exactly what I bought. Translucent Lancer 300BlK specific mags with red bands marking them. But all that does is show me I don’t have 5.56 in 300BlK, not the other way around.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 10:30:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Those are exactly what I bought. Translucent Lancer 300BlK specific mags with red bands marking them. But all that does is show me I don’t have 5.56 in 300BlK, not the other way around.
View Quote

Why not for both? It's the arfcom way
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 10:41:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I have 1 .300 Blackout pistol and use 110 grain bullets with it.  Thee ONLY magazines that I ever use in that pistol are Lancer 20 and 30 round magazines that are the distinctive 2-tone (smoke body and FDE floor plates) that are designed for the .300 Blackout. Will 110 grain rounds work in other 5.56mm mags?  Yes, just as well as they do in my Lancers but I never load any other magazine style with a .300 Blackout round.   It’s the distinctive look of those mags that remind me that those are the only mags that will never be loaded with a 5.56mm round and to never use those mags in any of my 5.56mm rifles and pistols.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 2:38:15 AM EDT
[#12]
That's a close call my friend.

I've been using the 300blk bands on mags, but also need to buy some translucent Lancers and dedicate them to 300blk. I thought the 300blk Lancers are only for sub bullets and the 223 Lancers are used for supers (110g). Is that not correct?

I also started changing out the port covers of my rifles/pistols with covers that are laser marked with the caliber to help prevent a mix up. Got AR's in 4 different calibers that take the same size mag.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 4:28:14 AM EDT
[#13]
I know Lancer says their mags are “optimized” for function with 200+ grain bullets but at least in my experience, they have been totally reliable with the 110 grain bullets as well.  What has given rise to .300 Blackout mags both from Lancer and Magpul is that with their designs, the longer ogive of the heavy bullets had feeding problems as well as not stacking quite right in a fully (or as full as you could load them) magazines.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 5:19:38 AM EDT
[#14]
I only use .300 BLK Magpul mags with different colored baseplates in my .300 pistols. Only those mags have different colored baseplates. I don't mix mags. Too easy to screw it up.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 7:09:04 AM EDT
[#15]
I use completely different mags for each caliber. Pmags are 556 (i only have black and odg). Metal mags are for 6.8. The only metal 556 mags i have are still in the wrapper in the safe for a rainy day. Lancers are for 458 socom. This has served me well over the years and ive never been remotely close to having a mix-up.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 3:42:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is what I do, run Lancer transparent mags for 5.56. easy way to do a quick visual inspection. I run a mix of clear, smoke and tan translucent.
If it’s not see thru, it’s used for .300bo.

As long as the crimp holds, any commercial 125 or heavier grain bullets shouldn’t seat. But I wouldn’t count on that as a safety.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 4:07:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You got lucky!
I remember a thread not too long about about someone demanding super duty and needed to call Bill, only to find out they had a danger noodle.
View Quote

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-OP-is-retarded-and-blew-up-his-Geissele-Super-Duty-/5-2396816/?page=9#i89676728

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/3/2022 7:34:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
You only remembered a thread. That's it. Because he didn't demand anything, never needed to call Bill but wanted to contact Geissele's CS, and only swore that he didn't put a round of 300 BO in there until it turned out that he did and owned up to it. That's exactly what had happened. Please don't change the story with slander and GD it up here in tech please.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 9:38:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You only remembered a thread. That's it. Because he didn't demand anything, never needed to call Bill but wanted to contact Geissele's CS, and only swore that he didn't put a round of 300 BO in there until it turned out that he did and owned up to it. That's exactly what had happened. Please don't change the story with slander and GD it up here in tech please.
View Quote

Wasn't the original thread name something like "I want/expect/demand superduty or super precision" or something like that?  
The original thread name was NOT "OP is retarded and blew up his Geissele Super Duty."    
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 9:48:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Wasn't the original thread name something like "I want/expect/demand superduty or super precision" or something like that?  
The original thread name was NOT "OP is retarded and blew up his Geissele Super Duty."    
View Quote

He renamed it to take ownership of the fact that he mistakenly loaded it with 300 when he previously claimed that he didn't. Either way, it wasn't called for here in tech to call out people.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 9:53:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

He renamed it to take ownership of the fact that he mistakenly loaded it with 300 when he previously claimed that he didn't. Either way, it wasn't called for here in tech to call out people.
View Quote

I know he renamed it, what was the original name of the thread?   There is no call out since I didn't call him buy his name (hell, I don't even remember his name, and the thread is archived).

You know what....forget it......it does not matter.  

Point is, he had a danger noodle in his Super Duty.
OP, almost had one in his Super Duty.  

Link Posted: 5/3/2022 10:11:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:  Those are exactly what I bought. Translucent Lancer 300BlK specific mags with red bands marking them. But all that does is show me I don’t have 5.56 in 300BlK, not the other way around.
View Quote

That seems to be common practice yet makes no sense.  Clear Lancers for 5.56, .300 Blackout PMags for .300 Blackout if you'll have it in the house.  I won't.  I just run 7.62x39mm out of Gen 2nUniMags.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 10:13:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:  That's a close call my friend.

I've been using the 300blk bands on mags, but also need to buy some translucent Lancers and dedicate them to 300blk. I thought the 300blk Lancers are only for sub bullets and the 223 Lancers are used for supers (110g). Is that not correct?

I also started changing out the port covers of my rifles/pistols with covers that are laser marked with the caliber to help prevent a mix up. Got AR's in 4 different calibers that take the same size mag.
View Quote

No.  Translucent Lancers and dedicate them to 5.56, so you can see the sneaky danger noodle.  Who cares if you get a 5.56x45mm mixed up in your .300 Blackout mag?
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 11:31:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Great post and reminder OP.  Many / most of us use different / distinguishing mags for the different calibers. My  takeaway will be to keep my ammo complete separated. My 300BLK ammo is scattered in different ammo cans just like my 5.56 is. I think I need to do a better job of isolating my 300BLK ammo; like don’t keep a random box or two of 300BLK just sitting around on the top shelf of my safe.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:20:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Back around 2003-2004 I was shooting with a friend, who at the time was a Deputy Sheriff, when he managed to torch off a 40SW round in his issue Glock 21.  It sheared the right rear frame rail right off.  He carried a Glock 23 off duty and managed to cross load a 40 into his G21 mag.  I have no idea what alchemy would be required to replicate, but the sound was distinct enough to cause me to stop shooting and look over.

He had this "O FACE" expression, then looked at his gun (stove piped 40SW sticking out), then down at the ground (blew the mag base off so the rest of the 45ACP ammo / spring / follower were scattered around).

Made me a believer.

ETA: I KB'd a Springfield Armory 1911 about 22 years ago when I double charged a reload because the wife was harassing me while I was loading. (Yes, I'm blaming my ex-wife).
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 3:50:49 PM EDT
[#26]
A buddies buddy had a mixup of this sort. The innards made it out of the barrel. The jacket was about an inch into the rifling but it came right out with a tap from a cleaning rod.

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:05:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

20 loaded mags is impressive?
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 1:21:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what's considered to be impressive for you? A 1,000? Two thousand? Ten thousand?

Show us how it's done, please. With picture that has a date and time stamp just to be sure.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top