Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Air Force GAU-5A Rifle (Page 2 of 4)
Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 7:54:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RepoB52:
Any idea what sort of ammo the USAF is including in the seat kits? Hopefully, brown tip but mk262 would be ok too. Gotta make up for the short barrel somehow.
View Quote
What is "brown tip?"
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 7:59:20 PM EDT
[#2]
How about a 16" takedown version?  Pistol is fine but I'd want the longer barrel.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 8:21:54 PM EDT
[#3]
We have these in our (B-52) seat kits when we go downrange, so I'd buy at least an upper to practice with. Maybe the whole rifle (well, pistol) if the price was reasonable.

Any idea what sort of ammo the USAF is including in the seat kits? Hopefully brown tip but mk262 would be ok too. Gotta make up for the short barrel somehow.
View Quote
I’d guess M855A1.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 9:13:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArpaioFan] [#4]
Originally Posted By ErikS:
Thanks but why not just break a normal GAU at the takedown pins and make a plastic cover for each half? With the folding grip it would have still fit in the seat.

I have an ACES seat pack laying in my office.  I know this for a fact.  It seems like an expensive way to address a simple problem.

I breakdown my 16in gun often to take it to the range in a backpack.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ErikS:
Thanks but why not just break a normal GAU at the takedown pins and make a plastic cover for each half? With the folding grip it would have still fit in the seat.

I have an ACES seat pack laying in my office.  I know this for a fact.  It seems like an expensive way to address a simple problem.

I breakdown my 16in gun often to take it to the range in a backpack.
Do you have everything else that fits in the survival kit?  That's going to answer your question.

Originally Posted By Postal0311:

Do I get extra points for knowing one of these guys?
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 9:32:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Why not a LWRC Ulta Compact Stock kit?  That woudl be a smaller footprint.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 11:35:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By balloo93:
Why not a LWRC Ulta Compact Stock kit?  That woudl be a smaller footprint.
View Quote
That would shorten the gun by about 1 inch.

This kit. broken down, is shorter than a M4 by 8ish IIRC.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 9:40:48 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd definitely be interested for sure! As long as it cost less than 1200 complete and is as close as you can get to the real thing ,it should sell, especially to the cloner guys ( or the poors like myself, who go for "inspired" builds)
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 9:43:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Always been a fan of your stuff, MI. So cool to see you doing this.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 10:06:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By DC2FA5:
Definitely cool, MI. I really enjoy your products.
View Quote
Yep. You folks make some fine products to be proud of.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 10:38:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By mcantu:

The free float metal handguard looks heavier than a standard polymer handguard w/heat sheilds
View Quote
It's most likely lighter when you take the fsb, delta ring, etc into account.

I
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 10:49:38 AM EDT
[#11]
same folding PG that I use on my AR pistols to reduce the overall height when stored/carried
with it folded, it fits in an Uncle Mike's O/U shotgun case.

Uncle Mike's Over/Under Premium Shotgun Case Price: ~$32.99
Measures 33-1/2" x 10-1/2"
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 10:50:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By retroguy:
What is "brown tip?"
View Quote
77gr TSX
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 10:53:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: familyman357] [#13]
Neat.  I doubt that it could meet a price point to appeal to the masses, but I could see it selling modestly well if pricing isn't nuts.
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 11:33:06 PM EDT
[#14]
who makes that folding pistol grip??
Link Posted: 10/30/2019 11:50:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By CTomas:
who makes that folding pistol grip??
View Quote
FAB Defense AGF-43S
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 7:15:50 AM EDT
[#16]
I think a lot of folks would buy the pistol.  Easy enough to form 1 it and have a complete replica.  MI makes good stuff.

Really like the cry havoc versus the other POS takedown method. I put one together about 18 months ago.  Worked out great.  Not the same but similar.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 5:38:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: retroguy] [#17]
Would anyone have an idea of some sort about the gas block the Air Force is using to convert the "donor" M4 into the GAU-5A? It should be some kind of low profile unit? TIA.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 7:10:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Just throwing in that I'd definitely buy either a pistol or an upper + pistol grip kit.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 9:50:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Pretty sure it wouldn't be CT legal as a pistol, but I'd consider the upper and possibly the folding pistol grip assembly if it doesn't require permanently modifying the lower. My SBR still needs a 5.56 upper and that's a neat option. Sadly, I probably wouldn't spend the money versus a standard short upper, I imagine there will be a hefty premium given the niche market and non standard parts.
I know, I know, go be poor elsewhere. What can I say, I'm trying to get into night vision and save for a move across the country to get out of this state.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 6:18:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 6:44:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LV1976] [#21]
Originally Posted By Midwest_Ind:
Now available in a pistol form.

The upper and grip will be available in the near future.

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/category-s/578.htm
View Quote
Fantastic.  I can see this being used for something like a 72 hour emergency bag with maybe two mags, enough to keep the wolves at bay.

ETA: I was going to say the SBA4 brace would have been a closer clone but maybe that would have interfered with the folding grip?
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 10:10:26 PM EDT
[#22]
100% interested in the upper!
I'd buy a complete pistol if the price were right.  Theres so much good stuff that could be done with that upper though.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 10:33:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Would anyone have an idea of some sort about the gas block the Air Force is using to convert the "donor" M4 into the GAU-5A? It should be some kind of low profile unit? TIA.
View Quote
Well my swag is 1. cut a couple inches off the M4 barrel and rethread & neuter the FSB or replace with .750 low profile gas block.  Or 2. replace M4 barrel with 12.5 BCM CHF barrel and BCM .750 lp gb.
Personally, I would go with number 2.  But will it be an exact copy/clone?  Probably not, but for me it would be good enough.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 10:40:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Really neat gun.  Congrats Midwest Ind.!
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 10:53:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: retroguy] [#25]
Originally Posted By IRA:
Well my swag is 1. cut a couple inches off the M4 barrel and rethread & neuter the FSB or replace with .750 low profile gas block. Or 2. replace M4 barrel with 12.5 BCM CHF barrel and BCM .750 lp gb.
Personally, I would go with number 2. But will it be an exact copy/clone? Probably not, but for me it would be good enough.
View Quote
I plan on moving to Tennessee in 2021. Once there, I will Form 1 my GAU-5A ASDW as an SBR. It will be as close to the real deal as I can make it, including down to the markings and ALL the needed parts. I already have the folding pistol grip and now a low profile steel gas block is on its way. That piece will one day be mated with a 12.5" BCM barrel, which is the part to be bought after I get the handguard. This said, after looking at images of the carbine, your Option 1 would NOT be correct since the M203 cut would be visible under the handguard if the original M4 barrel was shortened.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 11:47:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Next question: Any idea as to the Part Number used with the UID label?

Link Posted: 11/6/2019 11:54:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#27]
What is "brown tip?"
View All Quotes
Any idea what sort of ammo the USAF is including in the seat kits? Hopefully, brown tip but mk262 would be ok too. Gotta make up for the short barrel somehow.
What is "brown tip?"
Barnes 70gr TSX.

Most likely 855A1 in use with these rifles.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 2:07:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Regarding the parts under the GAU-5A's handguard, I found in an archived thread from earlier this year within this very forum that supposedly the USAF is using the ERGO .750 LOW-PRO ADJUSTABLE GAS BLOCK gas tube interface. It confuses me as to why the USAF would use an adjustable block to arm folks who would not wish to adjust the port size. I am going to use a standard, non-adjustable low profile unit for my replica since the one I bought is WAY cheaper.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 2:24:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Regarding the parts under the GAU-5A's handguard, I found in an archived thread from earlier this year within this very forum that supposedly the USAF is using the ERGO .750 LOW-PRO ADJUSTABLE GAS BLOCK gas tube interface. It confuses me as to why the USAF would use an adjustable block to arm folks who would not wish to adjust the port size. I am going to use a standard, non-adjustable low profile unit for my replica since the one I bought is WAY cheaper.
View Quote
I wonder if adding a surpressor was considered at one time.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 3:51:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By LV1976:
I wonder if adding a suppressor was considered at one time.
View Quote
Personally, the USAF could have used the KAC NT4 flash suppressor on their carbine, then put the matching KAC suppressor in the survival kit. The pilots should have also had the KAC-modified Beretta M9 with its suppressor.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 5:00:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Huh.  I never delved too deep into this weapon, but I see from the product description that this has a nitride barrel.  I find that kind of interesting for some reason.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 10:33:42 PM EDT
[#32]
I'd like one, I make a living on F15s. A bunch of us crew chiefs are gun guys, I could probably move a couple dozen for ya.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 10:48:54 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm a retired crew chief who worked on the lawn darts and wouldn't mind having one as well.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 11:16:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Congrats.  You guys make great stuff.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 12:53:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: armoredman] [#35]
Perhaps this could also be marketed like the Alaskan survival stuff, Bush Pilot's Buddy, in a bright orange waterproof floating hard case, with space for at least three loaded magazines. Also, the Truck Buddy with a discreet hard case that fits behind most pickup seats, maybe with some artful "grease stains" and a spot for a fake company name, case looks like a jack holder or porta potty cleaner. Selling some oddball carry methods WITH the gun might increase the sales potential with small, concealable, storage options. 5.11 might be interested in doing a special back pack combo, covert, hiking, or pilot bag.
Just random thoughts.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 11:25:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EVR] [#36]
As a hobby, and for practical reasons due to my life spent in remote areas by myself, I've spent many years studying Escape and Evasion and the history and methods involving military incidents.  What is demonstrated time and again is:

1}  In a bailout, guys often don't bring with them/make use of the survival gear they are issued due to many reasons.  Often, in the past, it was simply that they didn't have a kit attached to their person and had no time to grab it on the way out of the plane.  I think that has been addressed almost universally now with kits attached to parachutes & ejection seats, etc.
I'm not entirely sure about that.

2}  The whole idea of a single pilot aircrewman fighting off the savages with his personal survival weapon has time and again proven to be fanciful.  In fact, historically, many are the occasions that crew threw away the guns they possessed {issued or privately held}, as to carry them and/or use them would only complicate their concrete situation.  The need to blend in with local people often precluded a larger weapon than a pistol, rifles or even short carbines being impossible to possess discretely. Thus a pistol might be acceptable for concealment purposes, but realistically, is almost useless for much beyond hiding it...

3}  In the event a weapon actually is needed, something other than a pistol is usually desirable, whether that weapon is needed for personal protection or for hunting.  And in a better caliber than a pistol provides.

4}  Regarding the latter, a silencer is essential.  But in fact, "hunting" with a survival weapon is almost never done.

Neat to see these issues are being addressed with an attempt to actually produce a tool to meet the very restrictive demands necessitated in a bailout/survival/E&E situation.

In the end, in fact, I bet the weapons will almost never be used for the purpose for which they are being made.  Yet there is a psychological value to their issue anyway, and there may be more practical applications in the private sector as others have suggested, including bush pilot use, camping, backpacking, etc.

As for myself, I'd find one neat for my ski treks, tho I usually want the weapon handy or more easily accessible than would be the case with a breakdown type.

Also, OP, just a thought, but for winter conditions I'd strongly recommend a plastic cap for muzzle and breech of the detached barrel and a simple plug affair to close the front end of the receiver where the breech of the barrel enters.  Amazing how frost can collect and absolutely lock up a mechanism or prevent the fitting together of parts.  Under extreme conditions, thawing and re-freezing of condensation frost alone can absolutely prevent the fitting of tight-fit parts.  I know it sounds silly at 70 degrees whilst pecking on a keyboard and staring at a monitor, but I've experienced this absolute lockup and that with already fitted parts.  Having to fit together a weapon quickly that just doesn't want to would be and could be more than frustrating.  FWIW.  And yeah, I'm aware of the fact that those plugs and caps would be almost instantly forgotten, misplaced or thrown away.  Might take a lesson learned the hard way to drive home the point.

Thanks for posting on that interesting rifle.
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 10:20:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Regarding the 12.5" BCM barrel for this carbine, does anyone know what the gas port size is? I read all the verbiage from the web site and was unable to see what size it might be. Since this is a short-barreled carbine, is there a port size that is best without making said carbine over gassed? TIA.
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 6:46:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 12:52:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: retroguy] [#39]
Starting to acquire parts for this build, but am slightly confused about sighting things in once it is built.

The manual for the Magpul MBUS Pro front sight states one should sight in at 200M. Does this also mean one should sight in at say 50M as the bullet trajectory would cross over at that point? TIA.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 8:36:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Are your uppers chrome lined?
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 8:47:38 PM EDT
[#41]
You might want to check out some of ARFCOM's previous discussions about this weapon system to see how the public feels about it.

I think it is cool and I want one.  But to john q public it is a niche of a niche.  It is built to fit in a particular size location and the average person is not worried about.  There isn't much name recognition of the system, no videos of Navy Seals doing cool things with it.  Most of the time it is brought up, people will ask why the AF didn't just buy Sig Rattlers.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tranzformer:

Speak for yourself and not for others. The responses in this thread so far state otherwise.
You might want to check out some of ARFCOM's previous discussions about this weapon system to see how the public feels about it.

I think it is cool and I want one.  But to john q public it is a niche of a niche.  It is built to fit in a particular size location and the average person is not worried about.  There isn't much name recognition of the system, no videos of Navy Seals doing cool things with it.  Most of the time it is brought up, people will ask why the AF didn't just buy Sig Rattlers.
Just go buy one of these

Your Alternative
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 9:05:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By familyman357:
Huh.  I never delved too deep into this weapon, but I see from the product description that this has a nitride barrel.  I find that kind of interesting for some reason.
View Quote
@familyman357 Note that this offering by MI is not using the same barreled at the issued model.

Also
@Muricha  WTF you talking about?  Maybe you should cut down on the booze.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 12:23:17 AM EDT
[#43]
@familyman357 Note that this offering by MI is not using the same barreled at the issued model.
View Quote
Bummer.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:42:08 AM EDT
[#44]

@AlexBrooks The OP, our Midwest Industries rep, specifically said, "Your thoughts on offering this would be appreciated."

Once again, I say:

I think Midwest would be smart to offer it in a few different forms:
1.  An upper receiver group(URG) with no sights or accessories
2.  An URG with the sights and folding grip.
3.  Lastly, complete firearms.

Another note, the clone community is pretty nutty and picky.  The closer you can get it to being exactly correct, the more they will like it.

But unfortunately this is not a well known military model.  Midwest Ind might want to do an advertising campaign about how their stuff is in use with the Airforce.  Last time I talked about this weapon system, someone asked me if a MK18 upper and lower would be smaller.  They didn't realize that this broken down is 5 inches shorter than a MK18 broken down, and has a 2.2 inch longer barrel when it is put together.  It would be smart for Midwest Ind to show these facts in their advertising.
View Quote
I think selling just the URG by itself would be the way to go.  Aside from that folding grip it's the novelty part.

The market will be niche, but for folks that already have 3 or 13 other ARs and are looking for something new and cool, it will scratch an itch.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 1:16:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Does anyone know what the dimensions are for the MI-GAU5A-P when it is broken down?   It would be interesting to see what type of case this would fit into.   I have found that the military version "GAU-5A ASDW measures just under 16 x 14 x 3.5 inches" but this one is slightly different.   I don't know how the dimensions are affected.

But the unfortunate part of this is that I just told my wife is that I am done buying guns for a while.    It looks like I was wrong.

2Hut8
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 9:16:28 PM EDT
[#46]
It's broke in half!
I'll give you $50

It looks badass!
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 10:13:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Midwest_Ind:
Now available in a pistol form.

The upper and grip will be available in the near future.

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/category-s/578.htm
View Quote
Man that is sweet, unfortunately priced to high for this cowboy!
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 8:28:31 AM EDT
[#48]
77gr TSX
View All Quotes
What is "brown tip?"
77gr TSX
Thought they were 70 grain?
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:54:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Sell it to the masses as a braced pistol.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 3:17:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Thats pretty bad ass, I would much rather have that than a pistol when shot down behind enemy lines.
Page / 4
Air Force GAU-5A Rifle (Page 2 of 4)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top