BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/27/2020 8:41:52 PM EDT
I have a Aimpoint pro and would like to try something different. I've been looking at the Eotech XPS-2
But have no experience with Eotech. Is the Eotech worth it with there past issues or should I just another Aimpoint
I appreciate any advice given
thanks
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 8:42:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Aimpoint.  No question.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 8:45:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I have had both, and I keep breaking Eotech sights. My last was an EXPS and I gave it away to a buddy. It had held up but my astigmatism had gotten to the point where the fuzzy level made it hard to use.

I'm on the hunt now for a decent used PRO to slap on the rifle.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 8:46:17 PM EDT
[#3]
How is this even a question? Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 8:50:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I like both, but I vote Aimpoint for their battery life.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 8:50:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Aimpoint
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 8:51:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Aimpoint.  No question.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 8:51:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Lol.  
I was just asking because I've been wanting  something different and I know we all get that!!
guess I'll just wait for another Aimpoint to pop up on EE
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 8:54:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd go Aimpoint over Eotech
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 8:55:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Do you have NODs?
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 8:55:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Aimpoint is the way.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 8:56:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Yup Aimpoint clearly won this battle of red dot optics
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 8:56:58 PM EDT
[#12]
No, I'm in NY.  
I'm lucky I even have something to put the Aimpoint on
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 8:57:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Well one lied to their customers and has a faulty design that inherently does not work from the beginning. And the other has awesome sights that don’t have problems
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 8:59:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Well,  thank you everyone for making this decision so easy
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:03:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Aimpoint pro or one of the micros?
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:09:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:11:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
No, I'm in NY.  
I'm lucky I even have something to put the Aimpoint on
View Quote

Lol... I feel your pain. I think you Freudiantly chose your optic
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:23:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Aimpoint pro or one of the micros?
View Quote

I like the micros, but not at a premium over the PRO to warrant the upgrade.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:25:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Aimpoint T2 for me. But my son loves EoTech. “... floats your boat....”
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:47:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:50:06 PM EDT
[#21]
I have one Eotech that has failed, no hope for reasonable repair.  I have another that works fine but is seldom used.  I have three Aimpoints that see a lot of use and are 100% GTG.

I will NEVER buy another Eotech.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:02:47 PM EDT
[#22]
I have had 4 for 4 eotechs go bad. And they sat in the safe 99% of the time.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:15:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Stick with Aimpoint. If you want to try something different then check out the Vortex UH-1 over the Eotech.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:15:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Damn, I've done some research but didn't realize there was that big of an issue with Eotech
feeling kinda stupid now lol
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:32:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Damn, I've done some research but didn't realize there was that big of an issue with Eotech
feeling kinda stupid now lol
View Quote

I’m in the minority here but I like my EoTech quite a bit.  I haven’t busted it yet but it’s only a couple years old under low use. I guess I haven’t had to deal with the problems yet.  I just like the reticle, eye box, and how it views through a G33.

I also have a couple guns with T2s and they’re top notch of course. If there’s only once to have, it’s a T2.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:37:08 PM EDT
[#26]
I've owned two Eotechs

Both were bad out of the box or went bad in the first few minutes of use.  

Habe been using Aimpoint for over a decade and have had good luck with all of 'em.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:52:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Aimpoint have the best reputation but they’re not as durable as they are made out to be.

Every unit I’ve been in has had piles of broken M68s. Before someone brings up but they have been through so much. So have all the ACOGs, SpectrDr and M145. Which all of those optics have held up much better than the M68.
Attachment Attached File

Issues with Eotech is they lied and it took them getting sued to fix their optics issues. From what Eotech has said is they brought engineers from across L3 to fix what was wrong with them. (Delam, thermal shift (over blown) and battery drainage.) new emblem eotechs should be good to go.

For the record I own Aimpoints, eotechs, Trijicons, Holosun and romeos. I’m also not saying they aren’t tough optics they just aren’t as great as they are made out to be.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:17:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Aimpoint have the best reputation but they’re not as durable as they are made out to be.

Every unit I’ve been in has had piles of broken M68s. Before someone brings up but they have been through so much. So have all the ACOGs, SpectrDr and M145. Which all of those optics have held up much better than the M68.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/163367/DA2733CA-3F00-43A8-96E6-A294D94A1ACD_jpe-1389973.JPG

Issues with Eotech is they lied and it took them getting sued to fix their optics issues. From what Eotech has said is they brought engineers from across L3 to fix what was wrong with them. (Delam, thermal shift (over blown) and battery drainage.) new emblem eotechs should be good to go.

For the record I own Aimpoints, eotechs, Trijicons, Holosun and romeos. I’m also not saying they aren’t tough optics they just aren’t as great as they are made out to be.
View Quote

Actually, they are... Your Milk jugs full of M68's are not proof of anything. The Army breaks EVERYTHING. Since no one keeps logs on when the M2's first entered service and how long they have been used and what's broke. Some E-4 Armorer tossed them in a bin marked bad and no one knows why.

That same mentality that I saw for many years with Magazines that someone wrote "Bad" on with a Sharpie, and handed them out on a range day.
and eventually, the Army will have a couple of Milk jug crates full of M4's as well....

When you have a big organization with deep pockets, things get tossed and replaced. Everything has a life cycle. and I will venture a guess that many of those have exceeded that and as a Taxpayer, we got our monies worth.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:23:20 PM EDT
[#29]
EoTech. The reticle so much quicker to pick up.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:24:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Or try a Meprolight RDS PRO V2 with the bulleseye reticle. 55 moa circle with a 2 moa dot. Clear glass and mil spec 810 certified. Made in Israel as well. I love mine.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:31:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Aimpoint have the best reputation but they're not as durable as they are made out to be.

Every unit I've been in has had piles of broken M68s. Before someone brings up but they have been through so much. So have all the ACOGs, SpectrDr and M145. Which all of those optics have held up much better than the M68.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/163367/DA2733CA-3F00-43A8-96E6-A294D94A1ACD_jpe-1389973.JPG

For the record I own Aimpoints, eotechs, Trijicons, Holosun and romeos. I'm also not saying they aren't tough optics they just aren't as great as they are made out to be.
View Quote
Nothing is guaranteed when some 18 year old dip shit drops it 20 feet out of a helicopter.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:32:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Actually, they are... Your Milk jugs full of M68's are not proof of anything. The Army breaks EVERYTHING. Since no one keeps logs on when the M2's first entered service and how long they have been used and what's broke. Some E-4 Armorer tossed them in a bin marked bad and no one knows why.

That same mentality that I saw for many years with Magazines that someone wrote "Bad" on with a Sharpie, and handed them out on a range day.
and eventually, the Army will have a couple of Milk jug crates full of M4's as well....

When you have a big organization with deep pockets, things get tossed and replaced. Everything has a life cycle. and I will venture a guess that many of those have exceeded that and as a Taxpayer, we got our monies worth.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This isn’t the first unit I’ve been in with this issue. So you’re telling me you never held your Armorers or your Soldiers accountable to why they are marking equipment broken?  You never safetied a range, RSO a range, and NCOIC a range? Where what always happens oh another 68 that’s adjustment dials are broken, brightness adjustment is broken, battery springs aren’t holding pressure., optic turns on for a second and dies out- new battery? Yup, and I’ve seen Soldiers literally twist the brightness adjustment completely off. This includes the comp M4.

I’ve seen an ACOG with a locked up dial, one where the entire windage dial screwed out, one that lost purge and a few elcans with broken mounts. I’ve seen countless broken M68 (all models).  

Edit. You got a bad mag it’s supposed to be crushed on the spot and reported to supply. Then hound supply constantly and keep telling XO that the entire company needs new mags.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:37:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Nothing is guaranteed when some 18 year old dip shit drops it 20 feet out of a helicopter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Aimpoint have the best reputation but they're not as durable as they are made out to be.

Every unit I've been in has had piles of broken M68s. Before someone brings up but they have been through so much. So have all the ACOGs, SpectrDr and M145. Which all of those optics have held up much better than the M68.

For the record I own Aimpoints, eotechs, Trijicons, Holosun and romeos. I'm also not saying they aren't tough optics they just aren't as great as they are made out to be.

I hear that. I had a Soldier who got his M4 crushed in a Bradley ramp and completely crushed the peq15 into pieces.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 1:28:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Training. Then pick the one that will work always.

OP, Aimpoint. I prefer micro T2
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 1:52:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This isn’t the first unit I’ve been in with this issue. So you’re telling me you never held your Armorers or your Soldiers accountable to why they are marking equipment broken?  You never safetied a range, RSO a range, NCOIC a range, where what always happens oh another 68 that’s adjustment dials are broken, brightness adjustment is broken, battery springs aren’t holding pressure., optic turns on for a second and dies out- new battery? Yup, and I’ve seen Soldiers literally twist the brightness adjustment completely off. This includes the comp M4.

I’ve seen an ACOG with a locked up dial, one where the entire windage dial screwed out, one that lost purge and a few elcans with broken mounts. I’ve seen countless broken M68 (all models).  

Edit. You got a bad mag it’s supposed to be crushed on the spot and reported to supply. Then hound supply constantly and keep telling XO that the entire company needs new mags.
View Quote
I don't have any photos but FWIW I've seen similar piles of broken optics at each unit I was at, and anytime I've been overseas for work.  Seems to vary by location what exactly is dying the fastest, but optics break or wear out like anything else.

OP: My work rifle has an eotech exps3 and I can choose all the major brands.  I use that because the 1MOA dot in the center works better for me when I use a magnifier than the aimpoint t2 that I also have and can mount, and it works better from awkward shooting positions than an LPVO on 1x, acog, etc.  Is that solution ideal?  Not really.  I'd love to cut about a pound off of that setup, but no one consulted me when they were deciding how much gun optics should weigh.  As far as durability goes I think they all work fine, but I also think the MRO and any Holosun/Sig/Primary Arms optic reticles look a little better to my slightly astigmatic eye than Aimpoints, so I am clearly a heretic.

For personal use: If you never want to replace another optic with your own money again but want to dabble in a holographic sight, I say go with the Vortex UH1 from the batch that should be released soon.  Roughly comparable quality to an eotech but a far better warranty.  Vortex keeps winning gov/mil work so they aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

ETA: future note for anyone who finds this thread someday, buys a holographic sight, and then gets pissed because the reticle looks shitty or pixelated, stop looking directly at the reticle.  Look through the optic at your target, ideally with both eyes open, and let the reticle align with your target.  It will look and work fine if you do that.  If instead you stare at it in your basement and lose your mind because the reticle looks all pixelated, that's on you.  If you know you are the kind of person who can't deal with that, get an LPVO or red dot.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 3:14:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Performance / Precision / Passive NVG use ... Eotech
Ruggedness / Reliability / Carefree Battery ... Aimpoint

If I were gaming or patrolling the sandbox, I'd want a EOtech because I'll be function checking and putting in some fresh batteries right before heading out.

For a HD rifle that I might not pick up for months or the apocalypse and need it to work without time to prep the rifle I'd want an aimpoint.

Link Posted: 4/28/2020 5:55:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

If I were gaming or patrolling the sandbox, I'd want a EOtech because I'll be function checking and putting in some fresh batteries right before heading out.

For a HD rifle that I might not pick up for months or the apocalypse and need it to work without time to prep the rifle I'd want an aimpoint.

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 7:17:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
That is absolutely a fair description of the two brands.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 8:02:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

This for the win.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 8:23:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Oh look.....an AP vs Eotech thread.

Never been done here.....

Identify personal shooting wants/needs.
Try both.
Research.
Make an informed purchase.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 9:46:33 AM EDT
[#41]
For me, the Eotech does everything better except battery life.

I have.. pretty sure... 3 Eotechs and 3 Aimpoints.  Absolutely love the Eotechs, and they work WAY better with NVGs.  
That said, the rifle in my bedroom has an Aimpoint on it.  Stays on all year and it's ready to go without having to hit a button.  

So, get both?
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 11:59:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Both. One rifle with Aimpoint and another rifle with an Eotech.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:41:06 PM EDT
[#43]
I have Two Aimpoint pro's and a Vortex PST  1-6
just built another and need an optic that's why I wanted some advice
sorry if this topic has been beat to death already!!
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:52:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I have Two Aimpoint pro's and a Vortex PST  1-6
just built another and need an optic that's why I wanted some advice
sorry if this topic has been beat to death already!!
View Quote

I went opposite. Aimpoint TO EOTech. If you have night vision EOTech is a no brainer.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:55:21 PM EDT
[#45]
All wrong here get a Romeo4T better than both.

My first optic many years ago was a Aimpoint Pro shortly after EOtech 552, Aimpoint COMP M5 was next and right after that I picked up a Romeo4T on the EE I just bought my 3rd one yesterday. Glass is crystal clear and it’s made in the US I like it better than any of my other optics packed with features approved for use by the FBI.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 1:58:24 PM EDT
[#46]
EOTech. I love that reticle. Best reticle available for a red dot IMO.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 2:23:20 PM EDT
[#47]
We do this thread nearly daily.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 2:32:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bi-weekly at a minimum.......
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 3:43:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
But consistency is good right?
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 4:27:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Any eotech is best hands down for target acquisition.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top