Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2018 10:20:18 PM EDT
I’m looking for the most bomb proof high height Aimpoint magnifier mount for an Aimpoint 3x Mag. I have narrowed it down to either the LaRue Flip to or Aimpoint flip to side mount. For those who have used these, which do you like better and why? Initial impressions lead me to think the LaRue is the most bomb proof mechanism.

The few videos of the Aimpoint Mount make it look like there are metal shavings in the mechanism.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:46:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Have the larue for aimpoint 3x. Have not tried the aimpoint mount. Have also briefly owned a eotech g33 (which mine sucked and had a fiber suck inside) with flip mount. The larue mount has been very solid for me and is almost as fast as just knocking over the eotech mount after using it for a while. Very secure and seems like the only way it could no longer be useable is if the spring were to break. I had planned to move it around on rifles more but some uppers are not so perfect and would need different adjustment to the tension screw to use properly and you can't really adjust that on the fly. The g33 mount is actually really nice because you can adjust tension with you fingers for different uppers, but again, my example sucked.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:53:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Would you say the LaRue mount was pretty easy to remove without tools even when adjusted to be snug? I like the idea of removing the mag when working in close up within 200 yards or just as a monocular.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 11:30:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I have always had and preferred the Aimpoint TwistMount simply because it can be easily removed, and tossed in a pack when not in use.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 11:48:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Would you say the LaRue mount was pretty easy to remove without tools even when adjusted to be snug? I like the idea of removing the mag when working in close up within 200 yards or just as a monocular.
View Quote
Incredibly easy to remove when properly adjusted. I keep the rifle it's on in my closet just next to my computer desk and can reach around and remove it one handed and use it to look out the window. It takes a bit more effort to get it lined back up and re-install it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 12:46:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have always had and preferred the Aimpoint TwistMount simply because it can be easily removed, and tossed in a pack when not in use.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 1:13:30 PM EDT
[#6]
LaRue all the way.
No need to adjust it so tight that it's hard to remove.
Works perfectly, even in "left hand" configuration.

Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:42:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Before you consider that set up, consider this thread:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Kyle-Defoor-thinks-today-s-LPVO-s-have-made-RDS-s-obsolete/5-2172182/

Personally, I would go for a LPVO instead.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:33:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I have the Larue and am very happy with it.  Removes/installs in seconds and is bomb proof.  And even if you find a really big bomb, Larue will take care of you.  I'll probably end up selling my other magnifiers once I get the right one in the LT mount since it is so easy to move between rifles.

I would prefer if the quick release lever was on the right side rather than left, but it hasn't actually caused me any trouble.  The concern is it could interfere with grabbing the charging handle, especially with the mount as far to the rear as possible for eye relief.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top