Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2021 9:42:01 PM EDT
Hello,
Got a wild hair and some money in pocket burning a hole.

Curious if anyone knows how the M5 upper receiver and the PRI .308 hand-guards mate up to one another (DPMS pattern is what Aero uses, not armalite) assuming the PRI handguard is DPMS pattern. My understanding with AR10's and varients is that there is no TDP / "milspec" like there is with AR15s.

For those curious, I'm thinking of getting an Aero m5 upper/lower and a PRI handguard as a "why the hell would you do that..." kind of gun.

Basically need to know how well they mate up and if a swan sleeve (PRI brand) will work.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 11:09:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Bueller....
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 11:53:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hello,
Got a wild hair and some money in pocket burning a hole.

Curious if anyone knows how the M5 upper receiver and the PRI .308 hand-guards mate up to one another (DPMS pattern is what Aero uses, not armalite) assuming the PRI handguard is DPMS pattern. My understanding with AR10's and varients is that there is no TDP / "milspec" like there is with AR15s.

For those curious, I'm thinking of getting an Aero m5 upper/lower and a PRI handguard as a "why the hell would you do that..." kind of gun.

Basically need to know how well they mate up and if a swan sleeve (PRI brand) will work.

Thanks
View Quote

Aero m5 is DPMS high, make sure the handguard says that. I used slr dpms high and they fit the Aero perfectly. I guess the only other thing is decide which gas block you want and see if it’ll fit.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 11:56:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Aero m5 is DPMS high, make sure the handguard says that. I used slr dpms high and they fit the Aero perfectly. I guess the only other thing is decide which gas block you want and see if it’ll fit.
View Quote

So the PRI 308 handguards will be the same height as the Aero m5?
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 12:33:28 AM EDT
[#4]
As previously mentioned, Aero is DPMS "high". If the manufacturer says it fits DPMS high you're GTG. Get the wrong one and there will be a mismatch at the upper to rail interface.

DPMS High vs. Low
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 12:45:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a 15” Delta on my Aero M5 and the top rail is NOT on the same plane as the upper. The regular round models are however, and PRI makes an SPR rail for both the round and Delta handguards. They also make a BUIS set that works with the misaligned Delta top rail.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 11:55:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a 15” Delta on my Aero M5 and the top rail is NOT on the same plane as the upper. The regular round models are however, and PRI makes an SPR rail for both the round and Delta handguards. They also make a BUIS set that works with the misaligned Delta top rail.
View Quote

Awesome, thanks!
I was going to go with the round one so that is perfect.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 9:58:54 AM EDT
[#7]
This is the route I'm planning on going with my build.. Aero receivers with a PRI round handguard. I wasn't to concerned with that setup being as I'm not gonna be having buis on the rig, but happy to have that info. Good question, good answer.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 6:44:35 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a rifle length round set on a Mega Maten. I believe Aero uses the same "DPMS high" pattern as Mega used, so it should be fine with the DPMS High handguard. However, if you plan on doing the full top rail bridge across the receiver and handguard, you'll need the Armalite version top/SPR rail. That's what I was told by PRI when I inquired about the top rail with the DPMS high pattern Maten receiver. I decided to go without it though.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top