Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2021 7:26:38 PM EDT
I am waiting for an M5 308 atlas r-one complete upper to finish off my aero precision.  I have everything else but have been waiting for months to get one in FDE in a 16 inch barrel but there are none on gunbroker and none have been listed on the aero website.

I see the sig 308 716i tread for pretty cheap prices.  

How do these 2 guns stack up to each other?  I have seen good video reviews on the sig and it also has good accuracy.  However, I have read other comments to stay away from sig.  

Is the wait worth it and is the aero a better gun?
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 7:42:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 7:44:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Who has the 716i? I might need to buy it
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 11:21:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I just picked up a 716i today.  For the current prices, it seems like a pretty smoking deal.  The fit and finish is excellent.  

The only things in the negative column so far for me, are the trigger and the stock.  The trigger is a heavy, production grade single stage, and the stock is a Magpul SL-K.  I'd prefer the larger SL stock for a .308, and I'll drop a LaRue trigger in there eventually.  Otherwise it checks all the boxes, other than ambi bolt release.

I've got two MCX's and an MPX and haven't had any problems with the more recent SIG rifles.  Plus the Indian Army just bought like 144,000 716I's, so the support should be there.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 9:34:18 AM EDT
[#4]
If you don’t mind a few proprietary parts, the 716i is pretty hard to beat. If you like to tinker, the Aero/DPMS pattern is more plug and play as far as aftermarket parts.

I was in this same boat ~6 months ago and ended up building an M5.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 3:42:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I too wanted the Aero but It just didn't happen at the time. I did recently pick up the SIG 716I and I have been raving about how amazing it is since. It has to be the best AR-308/ AR-10 type rifle for the price bar none. If SIG invested in this platform and offered a 6.5CR as well with 18"/ 20" barrel offerings for both, this thing would be incredible and possibly unbeatable for its price point. It can hang with the big boys in the .308/ 7.62NATO category for under $1500.... How do you compete with that?
Attachment Attached File

My only complaints were solved with JP's Enhanced Ignition Reliability Spring kit for $15 and the Sig Ambidextrous Charging Handle for $65.

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 3:41:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Did you just get on the waiting list for ambi charging handle? or source it elsewhere?
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 3:55:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Ive got a 716i and like it.

Replaced the factory trigger with a MBT and MOE SL stock for something better.

Ill try to post pictures when I get home.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 4:11:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you just get on the waiting list for ambi charging handle? or source it elsewhere?
View Quote

No, I bought from SIG a few months back. Give them a call and see what they say.
https://www.sigsauer.com/tread-716i-ambidextrous-charging-handle.html
I've had some time with this gun now and I just love it. Everyone who buys one seems to love them as well. Good luck.

Here's a thread I started on the 716I.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/The-SIG716I-TREAD-308-is-the-best-AR-308-AR-10-type-rifle-for-the-money-/45-521591/
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 11:57:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Sig716i Ambidextrous Charging Handle in stock

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/8900448

Lol, it was you @jglock53 who posted it in the other thread.... Good find!
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top