BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/2/2018 12:40:32 PM EDT
Just purchased an Aero Precision M5 308 lower and put it together with Aero lpk.  When I insert a Pmag, it just barely locks into place. I can wiggle the mag a little and pull the mag out no problem.  I thought maybe my mag catch was the problem so I swapped it out, but no change. I tried a couple different mags and have the same problem.

Has anybody seen this before?  Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 12:46:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Known issue, sounds like they have a batch with the depth for the release latch pocket not milled enough.  Contact Aero about it.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Aero-m5-lower-built-by-the-factory-won-t-hold-pmag/121-733792/
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 1:03:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I just sent an email. Let's see what happens.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 2:38:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I just sent my aero lower back to them same issue . I hear that I was the 6th known  issue .tag you are the 7th . The upper I just got from them was flawless. Check my post on this section I have some images there .
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 4:28:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Sent mine back last year. They swapped it out.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 7:36:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep... know issue, guess a bad batch made it out the door again...
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 10:40:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Did you hear from Aero? I having the same problem
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 10:57:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you hear from Aero? I having the same problem
View Quote
Nope, I'm calling tomorrow
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 9:05:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like I have the same issue as well, I bought a blem camo set. Really hoping the kak mag release fixes it but sounds like we're in the exact same boat.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 9:15:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Just call them up . Then they will have creat a online ticket . Next day you will get a online FedEx return lable .
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 1:11:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I just got off the phone with Aero.  The dude was cool, took my shipping information and said he'll get a return label out to me in the next day or two.

edit: and I already have a Fedex return label
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 1:20:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I just shit a brick (cause it's a MINIMUM $50 transfer fee in this bullshit state) and got worried.  Mine's the other end of the spectrum.....I have to REALLY push hard just to get a pmag to seat.

Awesome.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 2:46:30 PM EDT
[#12]
There is no transfer for warranty repairs or replacement.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 5:04:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Since you aren't stuck in Maryland it may be wise to not comment.  The replacement has to go through an FFL, as it would have a new serial number.  Thanks for playing though.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 5:32:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Anyone have a set of calipers besides myself and can measure the depth of the release channel to see what the correct depth should be?

Mine reads at 1.69-.71
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 9:37:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Since you aren't stuck in Maryland it may be wise to not comment.  The replacement has to go through an FFL, as it would have a new serial number.  Thanks for playing though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't know your local laws,but I do have a PDF with atf regulations .

i will just quote federal law for you !

Code of Federal Regulations § 478.124(a) which states in part:

“a firearms transaction record, Form 4473, shall not be required to record the disposition made of a firearm delivered to a licensee for the sole purpose of repair or customizing when such firearm (or a replacement firearm is returned to the person from whom received.”)

A replacement firearm ! No 4473 NO 4473 No 4473

Any person may ship firearms directly to a licensee in any State, with no requirement for another licensee to ship the firearm. However, handguns are not mailable through the United States Postal Service and must be shipped via common or contract carrier.(18 U.S.C. §§ 1715). Firearms shipped to FFLs for repair or any other lawful purpose may be returned to the person from whom received without transferring the firearm through an FFL in the recipient’s State of residence. (FFLs may also return a replacement firearm of the same kind and type to the person from whom received. 18 U.S.C. § 922(a)(2)(A).
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 9:22:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Well I said screw aero and took a dremel tool to the lower and took off .2 from the mag catch area and a little off the catch itself.

Works fine now.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 9:58:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Your first six words are exactly why you are better off remaining silent.  
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 10:32:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 10:48:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Is there a serial number range for the known problem receivers? I have one stripped I Formed 1 and to replace it would be a huge pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 11:04:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Spoken like a adult... I also am willing to tinker to adjust parts. It is just easier.

Enjoy your firearm.
View Quote
They haven't gotten back to me in 2 weeks so if they can't get it right the first time I don't trust them with a second plus 2 weeks to even get my lower to me. Very unimpressed with this company so far.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 3:41:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Your first six words are exactly why you are better off remaining silent.  
View Quote
I hope you pay for another transfer.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 7:11:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I hope you pay for another transfer.
View Quote

Hope you have a better day tomorrow than you seem to be having today man.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 8:15:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Is there a serial number range for the known problem receivers? I have one stripped I Formed 1 and to replace it would be a huge pain in the ass.
View Quote
US698xx
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 9:20:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Come pinga!
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 12:22:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
if yours exhibits the issue, you could try a 9mm mag catch, the engagement tooth has got a little more reach.  RRA or Spikes Tactical, about $10, this has worked successfully for others.  i mean, if it's a huge PITA to replace...

otherwise, by all means, go the route of the trouble ticket, RMA, etc.

Link Posted: 12/8/2018 1:46:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
US698xx
View Quote
Mine is 7044xx and just put the rifle together last night.  I only have ine magazine right now and its a 10rd magpul and it holds nice and tight.  Have you tried to put another turn on the mag catch?
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 6:39:05 PM EDT
[#27]
I believe there are more than just a few bad lowers , aero has not given me a eta on a new lower just yet.??
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 11:11:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Mine is being returned because I left the Magpul grip on it (non Aero part).  Of course, I can send it back at my expense for warranty work though
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 9:56:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Mine is being returned because I left the Magpul grip on it (non Aero part).  Of course, I can send it back at my expense for warranty work though
View Quote
That’s fucked up !
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 10:06:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Code of Federal Regulations § 478.124(a) which states in part:

“a firearms transaction record, Form 4473, shall not be required to record the disposition made of a firearm delivered to a licensee for the sole purpose of repair or customizing when such firearm (or a replacement firearm is returned to the person from whom received.”)

A replacement firearm ! No 4473 NO 4473 No 4473

Any person may ship firearms directly to a licensee in any State, with no requirement for another licensee to ship the firearm. However, handguns are not mailable through the United States Postal Service and must be shipped via common or contract carrier.(18 U.S.C. §§ 1715). Firearms shipped to FFLs for repair or any other lawful purpose may be returned to the person from whom received without transferring the firearm through an FFL in the recipient’s State of residence. (FFLs may also return a replacement firearm of the same kind and type to the person from whom received. 18 U.S.C. § 922(a)(2)(A).
View Quote
MD doesnt GAF... New Serial means you have to transfer via FFL....
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 11:07:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
That is poor customer service.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 11:10:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Tagged. Getting a builders set for Christmas (thanks mother in law) and hopefully I don't need this thread
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 7:26:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I agree with you ! They should give the guy a pass on the non aero part bs!
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 7:28:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
especially since I asked ahead of time and it was a complete Aero lpk.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 9:56:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
especially since I asked ahead of time and it was a complete Aero lpk.
View Quote
This makes me really happy with my dremel decision
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:13:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
US698xx
View Quote
Great...the one I ordered falls into those numbers
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:42:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
if yours exhibits the issue, you could try a 9mm mag catch, the engagement tooth has got a little more reach.  RRA or Spikes Tactical, about $10, this has worked successfully for others.  i mean, if it's a huge PITA to replace...

https://i.imgur.com/XCi3ruF.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/XCi3ruF.jpg
Yup, this did the trick in my case. Purchased the RRA 9mm AR15 mag catch for $8 shipped from RRA. Installed it and it securely holds 25 and 20 rounder PMAGs, Lancer 25 rounders and LaRue 20 round magazines. I have tried manhandling the magazines to see if they would drop without depressing the mag release button and all stayed secured.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:53:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Yup, this did the trick in my case. Purchased the RRA 9mm AR15 mag catch for $8 shipped from RRA. Installed it and it securely holds 25 and 20 rounder PMAGs, Lancer 25 rounders and LaRue 20 round magazines. I have tried manhandling the magazines to see if they would drop without depressing the mag release button and all stayed secured.
View Quote
yeah, I think Aero should just include the 9mm AR15 mag catch in their M5 LPK, I mean, they already got the proprietary mag release button, and the proprietary pivot pin, take down pins.  They might as well just substitute the 9mm mag catch and call it "proprietary", so that if you ain't using that piece, you're on your own.  I'm sure that if they bought them in bulk, the additional per-unit cost is pennies.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 10:03:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Im telling ya, Fuck Aero. Theres a reason they are gone from here.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:44:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Just to update, Aero replaced my lower and it should be here on Thursday
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 4:14:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ha! Thank goodness. They really gotta hire someone to do some massive damage clean up over there.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 4:04:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Good luck with your issue. I had the same issue (dropped mags). I had a thread about it in their (now defunct) industry section. I sent it in, and they had to balls to post a video of them "testing it" which showed it holding Pmags, but rattling around like marbles in a can. I told them, uh.. I already told you It holds Pmags, and BARELY as you perfectly showed in your posted video (thanks!), but that it would NOT hold IMI mags. They responded "sending it back. Nothing is wrong with the lower". I told them, "so there is nothing wrong with your lower dropping DPMS spec mags??", and they replied "We use our own specs, which we feel are superior to others". So then I responded, "Ah.. so you spec your lowers to use DPMS spec mags... but you do NOT follow DPMS specs for the magwell or catch?".
They got irate and simply reiterated "we use our OWN specs for the magwell and catch".  I then responded, "you do know that the mag does more than just retain a mag, right? It also serves as the pressure that presses the mag against the opposing mag wall to ensure constant and proper feeding, thus why it needs the protrude into the mag well and actually PRESS on the mag, right? and thanks for showing off that video of how messed up your "specs" are". At that point, they gave up and then deleted the thread.

So there you have it. Amateur hour at it's best. But hey.. sloppy, rattling around mag is superior specs!!
I'll never buy a single thing from them again. If they don't have a specific spec to follow... they will F it up (as evidenced).

BTW, if you google "Aero M5 dropping mags", it's not an isolated incident. They claim to have had a "bad run" of lowers, but it continues to this day, thanks to their "superior specs"!! LOL

ETA: my issue never got resolved, so I sold that POS with the clause 'only accepts Pmags".
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 8:40:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
@HK94dude

OP, how's your much-anticipated replacement Aero M5 lower?  inquiring minds are curious.  are you GTG now?
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 10:49:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
@HK94dude

OP, how's your much-anticipated replacement Aero M5 lower?  inquiring minds are curious.  are you GTG now?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@HK94dude

All good now.  I put it back together and tried to get mags to shake loose, but they were in there solid.  Threw a buddies upper on there, banged a few mags without any issues......then sold the lower locally
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 11:48:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
All good now.  I put it back together and tried to get mags to shake loose, but they were in there solid.  Threw a buddies upper on there, banged a few mags without any issues......then sold the lower locally
View Quote
did you alert the new buyer?
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 11:54:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
it was a brand new lower
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 3:42:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
Well, that's better than they did for me! As I stated, I got the same POS lower back with mags falling out (all except Pmags). I'll never touch AP again.
Glad yours worked out, but don't blame you for one single second for selling it. AP does not adhere to the DPMS specs they build the M5 around. When they basically stated they base it around DPMS specs but then claim "we use our own specs that we feel are superior" (yet use DPMS spec parts)... that's not a company I want to fiddle around with.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 4:58:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Come pinga!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Come pinga!
Whoa now!
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 10:05:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Aero replaced my lower last week . So far so good .
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 1:09:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
it was a brand new lower
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
it was a brand new lower
Gotcha, misread it:)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top