Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2018 1:25:43 PM EDT
We have some MOA challenges coming up in the spring and summer of 2018 shooting 3, 4, and 5 inch steel targets at 300, 400, and 500 yards, with 5 shots at each distance.
So I want to build a 20 inch rifle and part out the carbine at a later date.

Converting the rifle below over to a DMR style rifle.

Only hardware I am keeping is the lower and the Priimary Arms ACSS 1x6 5.45X3.9.

Gone is the carbine upper and risers and collapsible stock

Here is a couple of barrels am looking at. Anybody got any advice on them or another barrel to fit the bill?

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/gm-m16-20-m16-a2-5-56mm-w-ext-1-8-twist/#reviews

http://ballisticadvantage.com/20-inch-556-dmr-rifle-length-cmv-performance-barrel.html#product-tabs

Other essentials needed / recommended:
Free Float Hand Guard
Trigger

Thanks in advance for any tips/advice!
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 1:30:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd probably go 6.5 Grendel myself.  Is that an option?

My 5.56 Larue Stealth barrel shoots great and was a bit over $200 when I purchased it.  Larue or Geissele for the trigger.  I think they've both got some new stuff that's going to be released at SHOT show.

https://www.larue.com/products/5-56-stealth-barrel-k/

The UU kit would be a good package.

https://www.larue.com/products/larue-ultimate-ar-15-upper-kit/

Geissele MK4 15" would be a good hand guard for a 20" barrel.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 3:23:31 PM EDT
[#2]
m6z,

Would like to go with the 6.5 grendal and will do some comparison shopping and research to see if 6.5 upper (plus additional caliber stock) fits in the budget.

6.5 ballistics would be a real nice plus to have!

Am managing to help out the boys with starting their collections as well for firearms.

Thanks for the tip on the LaRrue barrel and upper options. That is a darn nice option from a great company!
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 5:24:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Given your needs I think the LaRue 18” Grendel UU would be the perfect build if you can do it. Mine has been phenomenal. Or their 20” 5.56 barrel. Beyond that, I have the BA barrel you linked above and have been happy with it along with the other 4 BA barrels I have. All are good shooters.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 6:01:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Given your needs I think the LaRue 18” Grendel UU would be the perfect build if you can do it. Mine has been phenomenal. Or their 20” 5.56 barrel. Beyond that, I have the BA barrel you linked above and have been happy with it along with the other 4 BA barrels I have. All are good shooters.
View Quote
Thanks you guys have sold me on the LaRue!
Will probably just strip off the A2 front sight post, dump the risers and run the carbine this year for the MOA shoots and save up for the LaRue purchase!
Always good to support a great company out of the Republic of Texas!!
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 8:07:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Will probably just strip off the A2 front sight post, dump the risers and run the carbine this year for the MOA shoots and save up for the LaRue purchase!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Definitely can’t go wrong. If you’re comfortable building the upper yourself, you’re out the door for $792 + shipping and that includes all parts except the stripped lower. If you haven’t shot it you’ll like their MBT trigger. I have a Geissele SSA-E and like them about the same.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 8:35:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Crazy hard to shoot 1moa with that scope.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 11:39:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Crazy hard to shoot 1moa with that scope.
View Quote
Thanks for the comment and duly noted in this thread

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Peasant-Gun-Range-Report-Wolf-and-M855-Update/118-720179/
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top