Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2020 3:06:01 PM EDT
I know titanium expands less as it gets hot, what that means in practical terms for an AR, I have no idea.

Are there any noticeable advantages to spending the extra money for a titanium gas block other than saving weight?
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 5:17:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Not really, just parts your wallet a little wider.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 5:22:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 5:53:44 PM EDT
[#3]
FPNI
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 5:58:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not that I think you’ll EVER erode a steel gas block, but Titanium is MUCH more heat resistant.
View Quote

No. Fire cutting Ti is a thing. As temps increase Ti strength declines substantially.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 7:58:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 8:12:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Weight savings and bling.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 8:23:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Titanium all the things. Just do it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:31:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Not that I think you’ll EVER erode a steel gas block, but Titanium is MUCH more heat resistant.
View Quote

If you shoot 20,000+ rounds, you might.

This is the erosion on a BA block after 3,000 rounds.

Link Posted: 5/23/2020 6:45:15 AM EDT
[#9]
If the erosion on that revolver cylinder doesn’t convince you to run from a titanium gas block, nothing will.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 12:14:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yes, but steel melts at 2,500 to 2,750, titanium melts at 3,034
View Quote

Melting and ablative resistance are two totally different things. Pure titanium has a lower Brinell hardness than steel, which is one of the reasons machining titanium is harder to do than with steel. The titanium tends to gouge and gum up tools more than steel does. Once the protective TiO2 outer protective layer is penetrated, the pure titanium below it is much softer and will erode faster than steel. Titanium is somewhat “self healing” in that the oxidized layer reforms very quickly, but red-hot pellets of powder traveling at supersonic speeds will, over time, continue to gouge out the metal.

That being said, a lot of the answer to your question depends on the application. A titanium gas block used on a carbine length 5.56 gas system will not last as long as one on a 24” .308 barrel with a +2” gas system. You should still get at least a few thousand rounds out of it. Maybe check it every 2000 rounds, and replace as needed.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 12:16:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 2:32:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Overthinking it.

J.P. Enterprises offers an ALUMINUM gas block!
View Quote

Example of aluminum GB erosion:

Attachment Attached File

A couple other cheap ass offerings:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 6:57:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Wow that second pic looks terrible.

Op, the only advantage I can see in a titanium GB is the weight savings. I dont see the thermal expansion differential between titanium and steel as desirable, think about it..the barrel expanding before the gas block? So basically the barrels expansion will be constricted at the GB journal..doesnt sound good. I can see a titanium GB making sense on a superlight build or on a mock dissipator for better balance.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 8:55:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Wow that second pic looks terrible.

Op, the only advantage I can see in a titanium GB is the weight savings. I dont see the thermal expansion differential between titanium and steel as desirable, think about it..the barrel expanding before the gas block? So basically the barrels expansion will be constricted at the GB journal..doesnt sound good. I can see a titanium GB making sense on a superlight build or on a mock dissipator for better balance.
View Quote

That would be far more desirable than an aluminum gas block expanding more than the steel barrel. You’re not going to crack the titanium. It is far more elastic than steel with a higher “memory” so it will return to its original size. If anything the titanium’s lower rate of thermal expansion will create a better seal.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 9:19:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks cool. Gives you bragging rights. Thats worth a lot no matter what people here say. Just look at all the pix threads.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 3:56:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Example of aluminum GB erosion:

View Quote

Well, Guess I am not going to be shooting any more.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top