Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2023 9:04:37 PM EDT
I’ve always stayed away from adjustable gas blocks due to not wanting an extra fail point. However, my shooting has shifted to pretty much 100% suppressed. My latest build has a BRT gas tube with a smaller diameter and it’s helped tremendously in limiting gas in my face. But now I’m curious about adjustable gas blocks again.

Are there any adjustable gas blocks that has some sort of fail safe? Where in the event the detents/springs/set screws/whatever has a failure, it will still operate either in the last position or in a full gas position?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Link Posted: 5/17/2023 9:14:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a couple of guns with AGB's, but they are the "set it and forget it" type with an allen screw to regulate the gas and another allen set screw that tightens against it.  I do not see any chance of a failure with them.  The issue with many AGB's is that they often get carbon buildup and freeze up unless you constantly are adjusting the gas.  That is not the reason I have AGB's.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 10:44:09 PM EDT
[#2]
The only way I’m going adjustable gas block is if it comes from the factory with one.

My Honey Badger for example. I got it dialed it to run with a particular suppressor on subsonics and that’s the only way it gets shot.

Set it and forget about it. No issues with it at all.
The set screws are tiny though. I wouldn’t want to constantly be adjusting them.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 11:56:31 PM EDT
[#3]
OP, there are adjustable gas blocks;

There are gas port regulator disks that insert under the gas block;

As you've found, there are various diameter & shaped gas tubes, and I think there used to be a variable gas tube;

There was an adjustable upper;

There are adjustable gas keys;

And adjustable gas bolt carriers.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 11:57:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The only way I’m going adjustable gas block is if it comes from the factory with one.

My Honey Badger for example. I got it dialed it to run with a particular suppressor on subsonics and that’s the only way it gets shot.

Set it and forget about it. No issues with it at all.
The set screws are tiny though. I wouldn’t want to constantly be adjusting them.
View Quote

I don't get your point. Why does an adjustable gas block have to come with an AR you bought? It's just a 300 Blackout. Apparently you "got it dialed in" with a specific suppressor. What's the difference between that and using an adjustable gas block with a 300 Blackout someone built? It doesn't make any sense.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 5:17:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The issue with many AGB's is that they often get carbon buildup and freeze up unless you constantly are adjusting the gas.  That is not the reason I have AGB's.
View Quote

This. I'm not currently running one, but I have. I screwed with it until I got it dialed in right where I wanted it, then left it. If you want something to constantly mess with pay for the riflespeed one. If you just want to tune it and leave it be, my SLR worked great.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top