Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2021 12:47:34 AM EDT
Are there any DIY or home solutions to adding rollmarks to a blank receiver?  Mainly looking to do text but graphics would be nice as well.

Thank you!
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 2:05:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Electro-etching, for one. Been covered here before, and also all over the youtubes.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 11:11:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Make a stencil and airbrush or spray paint is another option.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 1:31:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Why do you need to do "roll" marks? Isn't that used for when you have 1,000 pieces to do?

Instant roll marks.

If you want to engrave it, get a small 3D CAM etching table from banggood, you can then even swap the rotary head for a laser module. You then design whatever you want in CAD, then send that to the machine, etc.

This was not the exact item I was looking at, but it gives you the idea. The head can be swapped out for 5/10/20watt laser heads (separate item buy).
https://www.banggood.com/Upgraded-3018-Pro-Offline-CNC-Engraver-DIY-3Axis-GRBL-Laser-Engraving-Machine-Wood-Router-p-1616670.html?cur_warehouse=CN&rmmds=buy
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 2:31:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 3:21:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A roll mark REQUIRES a circular die that cost THOUSANDS of dollars! As stated, try etching or laser engraving. My ex boss had a Colt Gold Cup that had a crooked roll mark on the frame, Colt told him that they were getting a new die manufactured and it was $250,000.00
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 4:10:17 PM EDT
[#6]

What’s up with missing portions of those?  Ground off so they can’t be used?
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 4:43:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

No expert....

I assume that the step is for indexing/alignment purposes.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:56:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Raised portion on lower clearance
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 1:15:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 9:06:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Raised portion on lower clearance
View Quote

Quoted:

Clearance for the raised portion of the receiver.

[edit] beaten.
View Quote

Makes sense.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 1:42:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Clearly shown together in one photo is the different horse trademarks.  The globe touching the outer ring and the globe floated above the ring.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 1:54:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 3:52:18 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

No need for volts or salt water.
Qtip and sodium hydroxide (roebic) will etch AL fast.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 3:24:04 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote
Just got my order from him today.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 4:17:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just got my order from him today.
View Quote
Please post your results and technique when you do it!
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:33:21 AM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

I used one of his stencils about two weeks ago.  It was my first time.  I read examples from this site, and watched videos on YouTube on how to do this.  I have more stencils ordered.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:28:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I used one of his stencils about two weeks ago.  It was my first time.  I read examples from this site, and watched videos on YouTube on how to do this.  I have more stencils ordered.
https://i.imgur.com/VnQjRan.jpg
View Quote

Cool!

Did you do all of it?

What is the hole by the buffer tube threads for?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 8:17:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Cool!

Did you do all of it?

View Quote
Rollpin.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:24:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Cool!

Did you do all of it?

View Quote

Thanks.  Yes, I did everything: re-profiled lower, machined fire control area, and salt water etched with stencils.

DoubleARon is correct.  It's for a roll pin that originally secured the receiver extension on the early rifles.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 5:41:36 AM EDT
[#20]
I've had a mind for some time to try adding roll marks with my CNC router. Haven't actually done it yet but it should produce exceptionally accurate carvings in an aluminum receiver.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 7:38:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I've had a mind for some time to try adding roll marks with my CNC router. Haven't actually done it yet but it should produce exceptionally accurate carvings in an aluminum receiver.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 7:39:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Thanks.  Yes, I did everything: re-profiled lower, machined fire control area, and salt water etched with stencils.

DoubleARon is correct.  It's for a roll pin that originally secured the receiver extension on the early rifles.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool!

Did you do all of it?

Wow, I thought staking the castle nut was overboard.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 6:44:25 PM EDT
[#23]
My first attempt on a lower with a stencil set wasn't satisfactory. My power supply didn't have the amperage to make things happen. Discolored the metal but didn't really etch it. Picked up an older (ie not smart) 6/12v, 2/6a battery charger off Craigslist for 25 bucks and gave it another shot. There was no way to line up the stencil exactly over the other, but that will disappear when the receiver gets prepped and finished. Second attempt was pretty satisfactory.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 9:19:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My first attempt on a lower with a stencil set wasn't satisfactory. My power supply didn't have the amperage to make things happen. Discolored the metal but didn't really etch it. Picked up an older (ie not smart) 6/12v, 2/6a battery charger off Craigslist for 25 bucks and gave it another shot. There was no way to line up the stencil exactly over the other, but that will disappear when the receiver gets prepped and finished. Second attempt was pretty satisfactory.
View Quote

We'd still like to see it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 12:10:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Second try. More amps. More salt. You can faintly see the discoloration of the first attempt on the magwell. There's a joke in the serial number.Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 12:22:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Looks like a great job to me!

Here's my latest one.

The 80% lower came with SAFE and SEMI already on the left side.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 10:12:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 11:12:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
A roll mark REQUIRES a circular die that cost THOUSANDS of dollars! As stated, try etching or laser engraving. My ex boss had a Colt Gold Cup that had a crooked roll mark on the frame, Colt told him that they were getting a new die manufactured and it was $250,000.00
View Quote
There were a few companies who made dies for colt including the company I work for. I can assure you none of them were $250k.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 1:00:01 PM EDT
[#29]
I screwed up my first one, and am thinking of how to do my other ones so they look better. These came out way light even after 2hrs of screwing around with a small trickle charger and Qtips.

DoubleA, wish I would have found your thread before this weekend. I was thinking about submerging the entire stencil via caulk or somesuch as well. Definitely going to do it now.

On a side note, alumahyde came out better than expected. From 5ft away, it looks like a perfectly anodized lower. Slightly rougher upon closer inspection, but I like it.

Link Posted: 4/1/2021 3:19:05 PM EDT
[#30]
I don’t see any stencils with the Horsey on the site ! Special order ?
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 8:49:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I screwed up my first one, and am thinking of how to do my other ones so they look better. These came out way light even after 2hrs of screwing around with a small trickle charger and Qtips.

DoubleA, wish I would have found your thread before this weekend. I was thinking about submerging the entire stencil via caulk or somesuch as well. Definitely going to do it now.

On a side note, alumahyde came out better than expected. From 5ft away, it looks like a perfectly anodized lower. Slightly rougher upon closer inspection, but I like it.

https://i.ibb.co/v4tx2nW/6719-D12-A-C9-F1-4-BC1-ACCA-70571922473-C.jpg
View Quote

More amps.  Many trickle chargers are 1/2 amp.  I had good luck with a 2a charger on an old, fully charged motorcycle battery.  However, next time I try it will be with sodium hydroxide.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 9:48:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

https://i.ibb.co/v4tx2nW/6719-D12-A-C9-F1-4-BC1-ACCA-70571922473-C.jpg
View Quote
My first attempt on the Crabmeat Carbine was a failure.  I tried the very best I could to get the second stencil over the marks from the first one, and got pretty close.  I tried using a 12 volt model train transformer, and it just didn't have the amps to do the work, even after almost an hour of etching.  Then again, it may have been that I didn't have enough salt dissolved in the solution.  The battery charger I got really gets the job done.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 11:51:22 PM EDT
[#33]
I use a car battery charger that has settings for 2amp low charge, 10amp fast charge, and 55amp start.  I first used the 2amp, but now consistantly use the 10amp setting when ecthing a receiver.  I also use a white vinegar and salt mix.  I have gotten better and faster results with puddles in hot-glue formed reservoirs.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 3:43:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I don't see any stencils with the Horsey on the site ! Special order ?
View Quote
This is the link he sent when I asked about them

I started with a 9v battery like the YouTube videos showed. Switched to my Milwaukee M18's, then found my trickle charger.

It worked better than the others, but it was still very slow. About an hour in I started getting impatient and frustrated, so I discovered that you could puddle the solution and do several letters at the same time. That worked better, but the q-tips disintegrated faster. It is just deep enough to read, but not deep enough for me to be happy with. I did it as a tribute to my brother's tour in Afghanistan. I might end up reordering the same stencil, or sending it out to an engraver. More practice and the battery charger method with the other stencils I ordered should help immensely.

I just finished up another 80% today, so I want to run to harbor freight and see if I can get a cheap battery charger and do it that way. I already have one, but it's a smart one.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 4:58:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's the price for a set of complex forging dies that you run in a 100 ton or larger press.  Plain roll marking dies are pretty cheap.  Used to work for Snap-On Tools at a small plant that did all the dogs and cats of the catalog - mostly low volume stuff.  We could get roll marking dies for less than 1k to emboss all the different sockets we made.  However, one of our sister plants in TN that ran a 300 ton press had die sets that were close to 250K, to rapidly produce wrenches.  I also worked for a while in an aluminum can making plant, the dies on the front end of the process that produced aluminum cups at 200-300 strokes per minute on a 100 ton press were less than 100k.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 2:51:58 AM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

@DoubleARon

OP, you're getting great results with your method.  I can understand your efforts to get the lettering aligned and uniform.  A lot of people like their receivers "perfect".
But, cloners like me look more for the receiver to look "authentic" rather than perfect.  I don't mind if the lettering is not all crisp, sharp, and even depth.  To me, this makes the markings look more like what the government got, and can even look closer to a roll marked receiver.  I do put at least as much effort into the stencil's placement and orientation though.  I also use Q-tips with the dammed puddle method because you can vary the depth slightly from one side to the other, to simulate the roll marked lettering as well.
Please don't take this as criticism; keep doing what you're doing.  I'm just trying to point out you can use the stenciling method to get different results.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top