Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2021 6:19:47 PM EDT
Hello all!

My first post here, but I've been shooting AR's for just over 20 years. I was really excited to get my first Surefire Warcomp flash hider in the mail after being on back-order for 6 months (3-prong).
https://www.surefire.com/products/suppressors-division/muzzle-devices/warcomp-flash-hider/
I chose this device to reduce muzzle flash in low light scenarios. I'm not interested in using suppressors.

I followed the Surefire installation guide and video, tightened with a torque wrench to about 25 foot pounds with a neutral cant (vents at 12' o clock). But when I took it to the range, the rifle worked like a bolt action. I had to cycle each round with the charging handle. I tried 6 different magazines, both polymer and aluminum, all performed the same. Additionally, I used the same magazines, same ammo, (same day) on a BCM upper and they performed flawlessly, exactly as expected. I even used the same lower. I was shooting both 55 gr and 62 grain supersonic ammo. Some was Winchester green tip, some freedom munitions.

Here's the rig having issues:
-A complete Springfield Saint AR15, 16" barrel, 1/8 twist, carpenter 158 steel bolt carrier group, direct impingement mid-length pinned gas block (permanent A-2 front sight post), magpul front hand guards, 1-6 LPVO plus a 45 degree canted holosun red dot. I've used the rifle for about a year with no issues. Most shots it would not eject the spent casing. On a rare occasion (1 out of 15 shots) it would eject the casing but never loaded a new round.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 6:59:09 PM EDT
[#1]
That’s very odd. Is it possible that the gas block got pushed out of alignment?  How did you hold the rifle while you were twisting on the barrel?
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 7:19:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That’s very odd. Is it possible that the gas block got pushed out of alignment?  How did you hold the rifle while you were twisting on the barrel?
View Quote

He replaced the muzzle device not the barrel
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 7:26:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

and borked it all up during the process.
its NOT the warcomp, its the gasblock moved or the gas tube.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 7:32:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

and borked it all up during the process.
its NOT the warcomp, its the gasblock moved or the gas tube.
View Quote

This.

Or even a remote possibility that the barrel has rotated.

OP....how did you clamp the upper receiver group while loosening the existing MD and installing the Warcomp?
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 7:32:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the assist, I'm puzzled as well. I ordered 4 of these muzzle devices. I sent one back immediately because it showed up in factory sealed packaging but was obviously a bird-cage muzzle device. I haven't had a chance to try the others yet. I'll be contacting Surefire and Springfield Armory to ask for suggestions as well.

I used a Tipton ultra gun vise, using the stock and upper receiver as tension points. I focused on using the vise itself to brace as I put tension on the torque wrench.

Link Posted: 3/21/2021 7:38:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I used a Tipton ultra gun vise, using the stock and upper receiver as tension points. I focused on using the vise itself to brace as I put tension on the torque wrench.

View Quote

Ensure that your feedramps are aligned.
Comfirm GB alignment with gas port.
Confirm that your gas tube is not damaged.

Always clamp the barrel for MD work.

ETA: I see that your GB is pinned, so likely not a factor.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 8:15:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

???????
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 8:20:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Is it possible the MD could have caused enough of a pressure change during dwell time as the round travels down the barrel that it could be effecting function of the rifle? I'm wondering if the 1/8 twist is an issue. Thanks again
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 8:24:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is it possible the MD could have caused enough of a pressure change during dwell time as the round travels down the barrel that it could be effecting function of the rifle? I'm wondering if the 1/8 twist is an issue. Thanks again
View Quote

Negative.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 8:56:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

No.  Something else got messed up during install is the likely culprit.  You need to closely inspect the gas system and barrel.

You did not use the correct tool for muzzle device work and it’s possible you damaged something or torqued something out of whack.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 8:59:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Understood, I'll send it in and see what Springfield says. Never been one to shy away when I was at fault. Thanks all!
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 9:03:42 PM EDT
[#12]
What is the correct tool for muzzle device work?
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 9:17:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Barrel blocks or a reaction rod type device (which can introduce some of its own problems in certain situations).  

It’s always best to secure the part that’s having torque directly transferred to it.

I’d definitely closely inspect everything before sending it back to Springfield.  Could be a simple fix.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 9:44:17 PM EDT
[#14]
OP...check your gas key to gas tube fit also. Make sure the tube is not tweaked and hanging up on the key.

A picture of your feedramp alignment would help also.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 9:51:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Midwest Industries upper receiver rod  .... see image below

Or a standard barrel vise

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 8:46:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm fortunate enough to have an armorer at the local range, and asked him to inspect the rifle. He quickly found the front carrier key screw was broken, nearly in half. I asked him to inspect the gas block and he didn't see any issues. He advised to contact Springfield for a warranty repair. Happy shooting!

Link Posted: 3/25/2021 9:30:26 PM EDT
[#17]
My question, where in the hell did you find these in stock?
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 12:01:07 AM EDT
[#18]
lol I felt fortunate. I went in to a local shop last September to look at a Glock 17. One of the employees brought the Saint out while I was there and put it on a rack. I asked to see it as well. Told them to add them both to the background check. Palmetto State has been pretty good about keeping uppers and stripped lowers in stock. BCM also on occasion
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top