Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2020 1:47:50 PM EDT
Bought an adams arms piston rifle last year. The agency rifle I believe. I switched the muzzle break To a strike industries warhog and changed the handguard to a free float Sampson and now the rifle is stove pipping atleast once a mag and sometimes failing to pick up a round. New to the site so sorry if this is the wrong section.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 2:57:34 PM EDT
[#1]
The Issue: It's not enough gas going into your gas port to fully cycle the bolt carrier all the way back to dispense the spent cartridge and/or to grab a new round.  Your bolt is simply not going back far enough after a round is fired.

Possible Fixes:  
1. If you have an adjustable gas block, then open it up another notch or two.  That will allow more gas into the block and therefore allow more pressure to the piston rod to push the bolt back far enough to adequately cycle the weapon.
2. The design of your new muzzle break could possibly be allowing more gas than your old break to exit out of the muzzle faster, decreasing the amount of gas into the gas port.  Don't ask me about the physics here but I've witnessed this happening before.  Try changing the muzzle break back to the old one and test for yourself.
3. Did you bump/hit the gas block while installing your new free float handguard?  If so, then the block and your gas port could be misaligned slightly hindering adequate amount of gas needed for a full cycle into your block.  It's a VERY small hole that has to be aligned.  Ensure of it's alignment and tighten securely, per instructions.
4. If all that fails to resolve your issue, you'll have to lighten your cycle by installing a lighter buffer and/or a less taught buffer spring.

Hope that helps!
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 3:06:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Issue: It's not enough gas going into your gas port to fully cycle the bolt carrier all the way back to dispense the spent cartridge and/or to grab a new round.  Your bolt is simply not going back far enough after a round is fired.

Possible Fixes:  
1. If you have an adjustable gas block, then open it up another notch or two.  That will allow more gas into the block and therefore allow more pressure to the piston rod to push the bolt back far enough to adequately cycle the weapon.
2. The design of your new muzzle break could possibly be allowing more gas than your old break to exit out of the muzzle faster, decreasing the amount of gas into the gas port.  Don't ask me about the physics here but I've witnessed this happening before.  Try changing the muzzle break back to the old one and test for yourself.
3. Did you bump/hit the gas block while installing your new free float handguard?  If so, then the block and your gas port could be misaligned slightly hindering adequate amount of gas needed for a full cycle into your block.  It's a VERY small hole that has to be aligned.  Ensure of it's alignment and tighten securely, per instructions.
4. If all that fails to resolve your issue, you'll have to lighten your cycle by installing a lighter buffer and/or a less taught buffer spring.

Hope that helps!
View Quote
^^^^ all of this.

load 1 rd.  are you getting last-round-bolt-hold-open?
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 3:38:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Bought an adams arms piston rifle last year. The agency rifle I believe. I switched the muzzle break To a strike industries warhog and changed the handguard to a free float Sampson and now the rifle is stove pipping atleast once a mag and sometimes failing to pick up a round. New to the site so sorry if this is the wrong section.
View Quote
Please email me [email protected] .  We will start some troubleshooting, and if need be, we will bring in for inspection/repair.

-Phil-
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 4:28:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Please email me [email protected] .  We will start some troubleshooting, and if need be, we will bring in for inspection/repair.

-Phil-
View Quote
Very nice!
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 6:44:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes last round hold open. It seems to happen every mag but only 1 or 2 times. I only use brass so can’t blame it on steel casings.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 6:45:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks sent email.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 4:44:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yes last round hold open. It seems to happen every mag but only 1 or 2 times. I only use brass so can’t blame it on steel casings.
View Quote
so, you get LRBHO every mag?
or,
you get LRBHO only 1 or 2 times?

confusing...but that's ok.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 9:40:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

so, you get LRBHO every mag?
or,
you get LRBHO only 1 or 2 times?

confusing...but that's ok.
View Quote
Last round hold open every time on empty mag
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 10:13:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Last round hold open every time on empty mag
View Quote
then I don't think you're undergassed, at least.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 5:11:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Have contacted Adams arms through rep above. They sent me a return slip so will be sending gun in for repair/replacement next week. Will keep posted
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 10:54:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Turns out I know head of customer service for adams so he was able to cut the turn around time down considerably. Rifle should be here this week. Will let all know what was done to it
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:50:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Any updates on this issue?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 6:35:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Updates?
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 12:16:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Not to give away any customer information, these were the details on this return for warranty work. Rifle was delivered to our facility on 2/26, was completed and sent back to customer on 3/3. Ejector spring was out of spec, replaced and test fired zero cycling issues.

-Phil
[email protected]
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top