Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2022 12:45:17 PM EDT
Hi,

Would the post and triangle on an Accupoint 3-9x40 be precise enough to target shoot at 200 yards?  Nothing serious just trying to shoot small groups.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 1:39:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless you get rolling stripes of clouds overhead, yes.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 2:09:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Post and triangle seems better for quick shots than extreme precision.  For that you want thin crosshairs that do not obscure the target.

Me, I'm still looking for that like new TR24G on the EE....
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 2:28:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I can't shoot groups for shit with a ^ reticle.  I much prefer a fine crosshair or even a small dot, or both.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 4:59:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hi,

Would the post and triangle on an Accupoint 3-9x40 be precise enough to target shoot at 200 yards?  Nothing serious just trying to shoot small groups.

Thanks
View Quote

It’s. great field reticle for quick shots but not the best for shooting small groups.

If you zero the tip of the post for your desired distance it’s usable.

With 5.56 and .308 a 100 yard zero at the tip of the triangle will allow 200 yard hits by covering with the triangle and 300 with the top of the post at the bottom of the triangle.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 9:47:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

With 5.56 and .308 a 100 yard zero at the tip of the triangle will allow 200 yard hits by covering with the triangle and 300 with the top of the post at the bottom of the triangle.
View Quote

True for 4x.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 9:51:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I can't shoot groups for shit with a ^ reticle.  I much prefer a fine crosshair or even a small dot, or both.
View Quote

This is why I gave up on anything with a chevron center, even Acogs.

My POF Revolution will do .702 with 168's, but when I used a PA PLX 1-8x compact with that chevron reticle I couldn't do any better than a bit over 1" or more.

I really dig the PA reticles but that chevron has to go. For regular shooting I went back to an Acog TA110/piggyback RMR/ with the regular 308 crosshairs on the cog even at only 3.5x mag I got those nice .702ish groups back.

Link Posted: 7/31/2022 11:27:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I’m not understanding how some people here are having issues with accuracy with a triangle or chevron. The point of each is very easy to use and much smaller than any red dot, iron sight, etc.

It’s even as small as crosshairs and even smaller than mil dots.

You are supposed to zero the point to a certain distance and then use the whole triangle or chevron only for close quarters for faster shooting.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 11:31:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I can shoot MOA groups pretty easily with mine, assuming a good rest, ammo, etc. About as easily as any other 6X optic. It’s a triangle tip, not a giant dot or something.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 10:58:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm in the minority. I prefer a Chevron or triangle reticle.  I mean, you're shooting for groups, not necessarily trying to hit the target, right?

To me, there's nothing finer than the tip of a triangle. I killed a bunch of golf balls at 100 today using a 4x ACOG with a Chevron reticle today.

If I was shooting for the smallest possible groups, I'd be running at least a 20x scope and very good ammo.

It's likely your limiting factor isn't going to be the scope.  I guess the short answer to your question is yes, it can be done. Although technically, you can do what you're talking about with a red dot. The results would be questionable though.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 11:06:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm in the minority. I prefer a Chevron or triangle reticle.  I mean, you're shooting for groups, not necessarily trying to hit the target, right?

To me, there's nothing finer than the tip of a triangle. I killed a bunch of golf balls at 100 today using a 4x ACOG with a Chevron reticle today.

If I was shooting for the smallest possible groups, I'd be running at least a 20x scope and very good ammo.

It's likely your limiting factor isn't going to be the scope.  I guess the short answer to your question is yes, it can be done. Although technically, you can do what you're talking about with a red dot. The results would be questionable though.
View Quote

I can bang 10” steel plates at 300 yds all day, how much more you need?
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 11:17:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Those that are having issues don’t know to use the TIP of the triangle or chevron. Either that or they are blind. Just the tip guys. Didn’t your high school sweetheart teach you anything?
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 11:19:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I can't find any photos, but slung up, I could stay inside an MR-31's 1.67 MOA 10-ring with a TR24. Any touching or outside are easily called.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 12:44:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Because OP specified he wants to shoot small groups I will say it’s not the best choice. The spear with no horizontal stadia is good at lots of things but I don’t really know anyone that shoots groups that chooses that reticle or similar.

Quoted:

I can bang 10” steel plates at 300 yds all day, how much more you need?
View Quote

If 3+ MOA is all you need the spear is a great choice.
Quoted:
Those that are having issues don’t know to use the TIP of the triangle or chevron. Either that or they are blind. Just the tip guys. Didn’t your high school sweetheart teach you anything?
View Quote

What kind of groups you shoot with them?
Quoted:
I can't find any photos, but slung up, I could stay inside an MR-31's 1.67 MOA 10-ring with a TR24. Any touching or outside are easily called.
View Quote

That’s pretty impressive. Have you ever done it a higher power scope during load testing or practice to compare it with?
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 3:11:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That's pretty impressive. Have you ever done it a higher power scope during load testing or practice to compare it with?
View Quote
Huh, now that I think about it, I've never shot across the course with a mid-high mag scope. I've only had cleans with irons, fixed 3x, and 1-4x.

I have used a cheap 6-24x duplex for some load developments, mostly just to keep the "well this great data would be moar credible with moar magnification!" comments away. Of course then it's "you need better glass!".

Whatever you got, fit the target and reticle. Aim small enough so the eye doesn't look too far from center. Aim big enough that you can call the shot. For the TR20, I recommend a 4.5 MOA (9.4") diameter circle for a tip hold, and 3 MOA (6.3") diameter circle for a center-mass "dot" hold.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 3:41:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've owned four Accupoint scopes, two with the triangle reticle.  If you're trying to "shoot small groups", the triangle reticle would not be the best choice.  Not saying it can't be done, just not the best choice.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top