Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/15/2024 12:51:55 PM EDT
I just purchased a PSA 16" 9mm upper. I plan on using it with the EndoMag inserts on a Spike's tactical Honey Badger lower. The lower was originally setup for a 5.55 upper with a 16" barrel and has a fixed carbine stock with a carbine buffer. I sold the upper a few months ago to a buddy.

Being since this is my first 9mm build do I need to change the buffer out on the lower or just run it as is? It'll just be a range toy so no competitions, no hunting, just plinking.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 1:24:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: s4s4u] [#1]
Blowback?  Get a heavy 9mm dedicated buffer.  They are longer than a standard buffer because the 9mm bolt is shorter.  Mine is 6.5 ounces and about 4" long, but you can go even heavier.  The extra length is necessary to keep the bolt from cycling so far back that is gets a long running start before it contacts the bolt stop on the last round, and breaks it.  The extra weight is needed to keep the bolt in battery until the pressure subsides slightly before cycling the action.

The delayed blowback uppers like the CMMG RDB use a standard buffer and spring.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:38:55 PM EDT
[#2]
as said, get longer 9mm buffer, regular 9mm buffer with plug, get kyntec hydraulic or maxim defense ball delayed. I have the Maxim Defense and had the kyntec.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 2:58:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheTallest] [#3]
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-gen4-16-9mm-nitride-1-10-13-5-lightweight-m-lok-railed-upper-with-bcg-ch-5165450305.html

This is the upper I got. It doesn't state whether it's delayed blowback or not. I'm assuming it is.

PRODUCT DETAILS
DETAILS
Barrel Length: 16"
Barrel Profile: A2 Style
Barrel Steel: Chrome Moly Vanadium
Barrel Finish: Nitride
Chrome Lining: No
Muzzle Thread: 1/2-28
Chamber: 9mm (9x19)
Twist Rate: 1 in 10"
Barrel Extension: 9mm
Muzzle Device: A2 Style Flash Hider
Receiver Material: Billet 7075 T6
Receiver Type: Slick Side
Handguard Type: PSA 13.5" Lightweight  M-Lok Rail
Bolt Included: Yes, (Gen 4, Hybrid)
Bolt Steel: 8620, Nitride Treated
Charging Handle included: Yes

FEATURES
Barrel: 16" chrome moly steel barrel. Chambered in 9mm, (9x19), with a 1/10 twist. The barrel is nitride treated for durability and finished off with a Palmetto State Armory 13.5" Lightweight M-Lok free-float rail and a 9mm birdcage flash hider.

Upper: Billet 7075-T6 A3 AR upper is hard coat anodized black for durability.  These slick side upper receivers are made for us right here in the USA.

Bolt Carrier Group: Gen 4 Hybrid 9mm BCG.  Nitride treated 8620 steel, with enhanced firing pin and external 5.56 style extractor. The bolt carrier group is compatible with most aftermarket fire control groups.
View Quote

Would the Maxim work for a rifle. It's not going to be a pistol build or SBR. Figured my first one would be a rifle. Never mind I see they list one for carbine.

https://maximdefense.com/product/244978/
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 4:10:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I used the colt AR-9 parts including the special buffer spacer.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 5:16:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheTallest:
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-gen4-16-9mm-nitride-1-10-13-5-lightweight-m-lok-railed-upper-with-bcg-ch-5165450305.html

This is the upper I got. It doesn't state whether it's delayed blowback or not. I'm assuming it is.

Would the Maxim work for a rifle. It's not going to be a pistol build or SBR. Figured my first one would be a rifle. Never mind I see they list one for carbine.

View Quote

You might wanna read over this thread about that

Link Posted: 1/15/2024 8:42:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Oh sweet, thanks I'll read through that.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 7:00:49 PM EDT
[#7]
OK, I ended up picking up an Odin Works AR9 adjustable buffer. I got the one for 9mm that comes with one aluminum, one steel and three tungsten weights. Is there some specific way I should initially set this up?

I do plan on weighing the bolt and the Odin Works buffer to kind of gauge what everything weighs. Just for shits and giggles I put all three tungsten weights in it and it's one heavy buffer. I know it's going to have to get tuned to work properly. Should I just start out with the max weight and then work from there?

I have to check to see what the weight range ammo I have but I'll be generally be shooting everything from 115 to 147 grain. I did buy a lot of those CCI/SPEER 115 grain 1000 round bulk packs from PSA in 2019 when they were around $150.

I also need to make a spacer to put at the end of the buffer tube to prevent the bolt from breaking my bolt catch. I bought a 1" round and a 7/8" round delrin rod to make one, I just have to figure out how I'm going to turn the diameter down a little to fit inside the spring.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 7:23:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Should I just start out with the max weight and then work from there?
View Quote

You might just find that you won't want to go any lower.  The thing that you may find with a HEAVY buffer is that the front sight may dip when the bolt returns to battery.  As far as cycling, I doubt you could ever have too much weight.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 8:02:52 PM EDT
[#9]

You might just find that you won't want to go any lower.  The thing that you may find with a HEAVY buffer is that the front sight may dip when the bolt returns to battery.  As far as cycling, I doubt you could ever have too much weight.
View All Quotes

It's good that I thought to put all the weight in the buffer then.

I'm going to have to get a different scale. The one I have gives me an error when I put the buffer on it. Guess it's too heavy for the scale.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 2:12:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I made a 1" spacer out of a 7/8" diameter delrin rod. Do I need to have any kind of shoulder on it or is sticking it inside the spring line I have it ok? I do have a 1" delrin rod I can cut down to make a shoulder and I can epoxy it together.

Attachment Attached File

Alright I just tried it in my rifle, it's too long at 1" which I figured it would be, it's also too loose in the spring it slides around. I didn't make it with the spring from my right, I made it with a spare spring.

Out to the garage I go again. And yes, it'll need a shoulder.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 2:23:17 PM EDT
[#11]
You are trying to make this?
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 3:37:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheTallest] [#12]
You are trying to make this?
View Quote

Yes. Because I don't want to spend $10 shipping on a $5 part. Maybe if I had other stuff I was going to buy. It's really no different than putting $1.75 worth of quarters in the buffer tube which I could still do. I'll end up buying a spacer anyway but I'm bored and I want to see if I can make it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 12:15:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Yes. Because I don't want to spend $10 shipping on a $5 part. Maybe if I had other stuff I was going to buy. It's really no different than putting $1.75 worth of quarters in the buffer tube which I could still do. I'll end up buying a spacer anyway but I'm bored and I want to see if I can make it.
View Quote

Oh I get it about shipping.  I need a $2 crush washer, 3/4", and they want $7.95 to ship it.  

I just figured it might help to have something to go on.  Another thing that works as a spacer is a #4 (IIRC) rubber stopper.  The wider base keeps it in place behind the spring.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 1:01:44 PM EDT
[#14]

View All Quotes

I agree with regard to the heavy buffer (and BCG weight) causing front sight dip, and would add that one can also encounter an untoward and disconcerting slam of the BCG against the barrel extension.
One can indeed have too much reciprocating weight when the use of low power factor 9mm ammo is attempted, depending on all aspects of the firearm assembly.  Been there, done that.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 10:25:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheTallest] [#15]

Oh I get it about shipping.  I need a $2 crush washer, 3/4", and they want $7.95 to ship it.  

I just figured it might help to have something to go on.  Another thing that works as a spacer is a #4 (IIRC) rubber stopper.  The wider base keeps it in place behind the spring.
View Quote

I finished me spacer last night, forgot to take pics. It works pretty well and stops the bolt 1/8" passed the bolt catch. I did end up ordering an actual spacer just in case mine falls apart.

Originally Posted By SecondAmend:

I agree with regard to the heavy buffer (and BCG weight) causing front sight dip, and would add that one can also encounter an untoward and disconcerting slam of the BCG against the barrel extension.
One can indeed have too much reciprocating weight when the use of low power factor 9mm ammo is attempted, depending on all aspects of the firearm assembly.  Been there, done that.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
View Quote

What's the recommended buffer weight? With the three tungsten weights in my buffer it's 7.7 ounces. Is there a happy medium or just trial and error?
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 12:32:43 AM EDT
[#16]
What's the recommended buffer weight? With the three tungsten weights in my buffer it's 7.7 ounces. Is there a happy medium or just trial and error?
View Quote

I would try to find a happy medium between recoil and muzzle dip, upon return to battery.  I'm fairly certain the gun should run with that weight.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 4:25:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Blowout] [#17]

View Quote

Why would you assume this upper is delayed blow back if there's nothing stating that it is?
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 10:58:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Blowout:

Why would you assume this upper is delayed blow back if there's nothing stating that it is?
View Quote

Good catch.  I missed that.  PSA doesn't make a delayed blowback upper.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 12:41:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Blowout:

View Quote

Good catch.  I missed that.  PSA doesn't make a delayed blowback upper.
View Quote

Yeah, I made a mistake.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 12:52:00 PM EDT
[#20]

I finished me spacer last night, forgot to take pics. It works pretty well and stops the bolt 1/8" passed the bolt catch. I did end up ordering an actual spacer just in case mine falls apart.

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By SecondAmend:

MHO, YMMV, etc.

The end result is, to a certain extent, a matter of personal preference and may well be budget driven as much as physical parameter driven.  As such, "informed" trial and error is probably required.  For my own use, I have several 9mm AR configurations, all with hydraulic buffers, but I am willing to pay the premium for the performance derived.

Best of luck with what ever you decide to pursue.

MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 6:52:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheTallest] [#21]
Got my rifle to the range today, can't hit shit with it because my daughter is not a good spotter to get the red dot zeroed.

But it runs great and there isn't much "bounce". I do want to change the buffer spring though, the one in there is noisy.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 4:06:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Got my rifle to the range today, can't hit shit with it because my daughter is not a good spotter to get the red dot zeroed.

But it runs great and there isn't much "bounce". I do want to change the buffer spring though, the one in there is noisy.
View Quote
@TheTallest
put a light coating of wheel-bearing grease on the buffer spring, and inside of the buffer tube.  also, make sure the roll pin on the buffer bumper is not protruding, that will for-sure give you the cheese-grater sound.  These two fixes will help alleviate the spring noise greatly.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top