Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2020 3:06:36 PM EDT
Building first ar9. Most popular lower to buy?

Just looking for recommendations.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 2:55:33 PM EDT
[#1]
CMMG. Had one, and like a fool, sold mine just before Sandy Hook. It fit metalform and ASC mags fine with no wobble. I tried a friend's homebrew 80% NFA lower, and the wobble with ASC mags was disconcerting.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 3:06:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 3:30:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Spikes lower on a stock colt upper and it runs great.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 3:36:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I built mine on a Spike's,  it was flawless before the 9mm ammo disappeared.  Not dipping into my stash any further.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 4:01:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Finding a variety of Lowers is pretty hard right now...

Spikes, CMMG Quarter circle are all good choices. My last build was on PSA's colt mag lower. Minor tweak of the ejector had it running great. Price has went up $100 since I bought but hey, it's in stock as of this post!

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-9mm-dedicated-complete-coltc-style-magazine-lower-classic.html

They offer a Pistol RE version for a bit less too...
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 7:00:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I used one of these for my CMMG DRB build. https://www.smftactical.com/9mm-80-colt-lower-receiver-slim/  I had to modify the feed ramp since the feeding is different in the DRB than a straight blow back. They have blemished lowers available at a lower cost.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 1:44:47 PM EDT
[#7]
anyone know anything about the Gun Point colt mag lowers? specs on paper look nice, basically the same as QC10 minus the QC10 price

https://store.avguns.com/gun-point-custom-shop/gpm-avenger-gen2-9mm-dedicated-colt-mag-lightweight-billet-lower-receiver/
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 11:29:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I used Spikes upper and lower on my Colt mag build.

" />
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 11:30:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 1:39:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I like the new style CMMG MK9 lowers. Its has a simple design of a small gear on the mag well and as stated above fits the Metalform form mags perfectly with no wobble.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 2:17:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Building first ar9. Most popular lower to buy?

Just looking for recommendations.

Thanks!
View Quote

Edited because I didn't see that he is after a colt lower.

At this point I would say that availability will be the OP's only issue, and what will probably dictate his choice

Link Posted: 8/13/2020 5:24:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I like the Spikes Colt lower. Comes with the bolt catch, mag catch, takedown pins and detents installed, all you need is trigger, safety, and buffer retainer to complete it.  A pretty sweet deal for $157.00.

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Spike-s-Tactical-9MM-COLT-Style-Lower-Forged-Spide-p/sp-stls910.htm
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:20:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My Favorite dedicated lower for 9mm colt or glock is Black Creek Precision
View Quote

I have built 3 Colt style on Black Creek Precision’s. 1 for me, 1 for wife, and helped a buddy build one. Highly recommend, plus they keep the original AR Receiver styling so it blends well with a GI style, non billet, upper. They also have little touch’s like threaded bolt catch slot, tensions screw, and are equipped with a lifter so it uses standard Bolt catches vs the long finger 9mm ones.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 12:21:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
anyone know anything about the Gun Point colt mag lowers? specs on paper look nice, basically the same as QC10 minus the QC10 price

https://store.avguns.com/gun-point-custom-shop/gpm-avenger-gen2-9mm-dedicated-colt-mag-lightweight-billet-lower-receiver/
View Quote

I bought two when they were a bit cheaper last year. Haven’t built them into any guns  but they look nice. I’d get the Spikes over these from Joebob at the price point personally though.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 12:52:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 11:22:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I built 3 posties for a company I consult for as production samples for a foreign sale.....went 17,000 rounds with no malfunctions between the three guns on  colt pattern lowers, built form Black Creek 80% that Darrin was kind enough to supply......all with different stock systems.   For personal guns....Black Creek is all I use anymore
View Quote

Holy crap!! 17000!?!?

Mine has the most so far and is probably around 3500 +/-. It seems like every time I take it out it gets 300 rds or so because other people have so much fun shooting it. Mine have been very reliable with just a handful of FTFs At first until I realized the powder coat on the ASC mags was a little thick. After I sanded the coat off the Inside of the feed lips, 100% with everything, except some Winchester PDX I had in a big bag of mixed hollow points. The PDX caused a jam every single time, case would end up 180* with the rim jammed against breech face pinned by the bolt.

I do need to make one change as I built mine with the Thordsens brace, and I am going to switch to one of the SBA3 braces as it was not available when I built mine, but seems immensely more versatile.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top