Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2018 11:18:32 AM EDT
I am moving into a new house in 3 weeks, and have never had a safe (getting one at my new house) for my 4 BCM AR15s/M4 SOCOM and Sig516 carbines. While in transition from my current house, to the new one, I will need to keep my rifles stored in Condor Transporter cases (each holds an upper and lower receiver) locked in a Plano Storage container in the back of my FJ Cruiser. It is now hitting the mid 90's as far as temperatures go here in Colorado. I know I'm probably being too naïve/anal retentive with this, but want to know if this will warp or damage my BCM and Sig Barrels due to the over 100 degree temps in my car? All my barrels are the SOCOM barrels (except for my 516) which I understand to be better for taking more heat when being fired in full auto. I am not an AR Rookie, but far from an expert. Any information is greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 11:53:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Barrels can easily hit 400+ degrees with rapid fire. The rifles should be fine unless your car is hitting 300+ degrees. I'd be more concerned with someone breaking into the car.
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 11:57:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Fins, would your local favorite gun shop store your guns for temporary solution?

Maybe local range? Hate to see potential for theft of your hard earned cache.
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 12:01:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I keep a rifle in my car in 100+ temps almost all the time.  No issues.
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 12:02:23 PM EDT
[#4]
They're exposed to far greater temperatures in the sandbox. I'd be more concerned with them getting stolen.  If you've got no other option...go find a storage area in a decent area, pay $100 or so for an air conditioned unit, and enjoy the peace of mind.

Edit: Air conditioned = climate controlled.
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 12:08:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks everyone for all your information on this.  I appreciate it greatly!
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 5:19:20 PM EDT
[#6]
After reading all your good info, there is a storage company about 500 yards from my new house. I am going to rent a storage unit for a month right there.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 5:28:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
After reading all your good info, there is a storage company about 500 yards from my new house. I am going to rent a storage unit for a month right there.
View Quote
Don't let anyone see you carrying a gun case into the storage unit because that's how they'll get stolen. The people saying it will get stolen if in a car let me ask you how is that going to happen if no one can see the gun, how would they know one's in there ? No need to answer.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 10:39:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Don’t waste your money on that. Buy a used safe off craigslist for about the same money.

As far as guns in a hot car, no sweat. Been to Arizona with outside temps hitting 110, inside it felt like 175. No issues what so ever. Hell when you have your guns kerakoted, they bake them at over 220. I know it’s not getting that hot in the car.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 9:47:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Don't let anyone see you carrying a gun case into the storage unit because that's how they'll get stolen. The people saying it will get stolen if in a car let me ask you how is that going to happen if no one can see the gun, how would they know one's in there ? No need to answer.
View Quote
"No need to answer," lol. I've lost track of how many times I've seen a post or news clipping where someones "truck" gun got stolen.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 4:59:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The people saying it will get stolen if in a car let me ask you how is that going to happen if no one can see the gun, how would they know one's in there ? No need to answer.
View Quote
Is this a serious question?

Everything I have ever had stolen from vehicles, short of the stereo in the dash, was not able to be seen.  I have had them go through the back seat into the trunk and steal tools, and other items.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 8:50:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Not that it matters but, why would they need to be in the vehicle for a month?
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 8:58:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's what I was going to ask!

And yeah it matters, in before the old "my guns got stolen" thread.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 10:00:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I meant .. Not that it matters to his question of if the rifles will be ok
in the hot temps (they will be just fine). Just more of a curiosity of why they need to stay
in the vehical for a month. Unless he is living in the vehicle for
that month, I dont understane the need for them to stay there.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 10:05:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I had an EOTech melt once in my car.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 3:21:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Everything I have ever had stolen from vehicles, short of the stereo in the dash, was not able to be seen.  I have had them go through the back seat into the trunk and steal tools, and other items.
View Quote
I'm 51, I'v been driving since I was 16 and not once has my car been broken into and I've never had a firearm stolen. I've carried a AK or AR in my car and truck every day for decades. Maybe you should move to a better neighborhood or don't let anyone see you carrying a gun case to your car.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 10:37:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I'll need to store them for a month while I move into a new house.  I didn't have room at my current house for a safe, and will need a place to keep multiple firearms as they will not all fit in my car, and I don't want my kids having access to them/knowing where they are until I have a safe.  I went with the storage unit option which is right at the side gate going into my new neighborhood and this storage unit is about 2 blocks from the County Sherrif's substation.  So, I think I should be alright for 33 days until we're in the new house.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 12:15:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm 51, I'v been driving since I was 16 and not once has my car been broken into and I've never had a firearm stolen. I've carried a AK or AR in my car and truck every day for decades. Maybe you should move to a better neighborhood or don't let anyone see you carrying a gun case to your car.
View Quote
Umm, in case you haven’t noticed, thieves dont steal from the ghetto, they go where there is money.

In other words, “better neighborhoods”.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 3:03:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Just keep it in a case and away from direct sunlight else plastic or the finish can photobleach.

Also, don't leave ammunition in that condition. Those temps will start to break down the powder and will become much hotter/higher pressure than normal.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 3:26:24 AM EDT
[#19]
OP if you must store in a car, get cable locks.
Go through the receivers and let the bolt close on the cable.
Any theif that wants to take the weapon won't be able to.
Can't unpin an upper from a lower with the bolt not fully shut. If possible the cable keeps the upper and lower together.
They'd need to use a torch or cut off wheel and make one hell of a racket.

This is how I store my truck guns.
Cable lock goes through the lower, via mag well, through the upper. Cable comes up through grommets in the floor that is wrapped around the frame rail.

In a car, if you don't have a full frame car, I guess a seat frame could work...
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 8:24:32 AM EDT
[#20]
It used to get into triple digits (115 degrees plus) in the M1A1 Abram I was in and our rifles were good to go with no A/C mind you.  I also see rifles at work stored in the trunks of vehicles daily and the temps get pretty darn hot here in SC and I've never seen an issue.  If you don't have quality optics and quality batteries, they can and the batteries will most likely go bad on you.  As previously expressed theft is a major concern. I hope this helps OP.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 8:47:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good for you.  
Nothing was mentioned about "gun cases" in my post, but that is okay.
I live in a pretty nice neighborhood, and have been fortunate to always have.  As I posted, the items that have been stolen; tools, gifts. etc., have been removed from the trunk area, or back seat.

You keep defending your posts, and relish in the fact that you live in that part of America where you need to carry an AK in your vehicle for the last 30+ years, but there aren't any criminals around that will bother with a lowly car prowl to get their fix money.  

Good God.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 9:13:46 AM EDT
[#22]
My scoped AR has been chained in my truck for over a year . No case....in coastal south Texas sun and heat and humidity.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 8:53:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you naive? Just because it hasn't happened where you live doesn't mean it won't.. The unsuspecting become victims every day. Count your blessings because you never know when it will be your turn.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 8:55:22 PM EDT
[#24]
My truck gun hasn't melted yet.  And I live in a desert.  It's also got the most plastic (magpul) of any of my ARs (mainly because it doesn't have a FF rail....just a magpul hand guard).
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 9:52:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I had an EOTech melt once in my car.
View Quote
I saw an Aimpoint melted in a house fire...and still worked

Link Posted: 6/21/2018 2:09:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
How can you be 51 and this naive/ignorant?

Thieves break into cars and steal shit regardless of whether they can see anything of value in there or not. They will root through the glove box, center console, behind the seats, under the seats. Ask me how I know.

I thought this was common knowledge.

OP, if you're going to store them in your car, keep them hidden and run a steel cable through the trigger guard or another hole, and padlock them to something sturdy and metal under your back seat. At least that's what I was considering.

EDIT: Other poster's above me idea is better; do that.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 10:05:20 AM EDT
[#27]
deleted
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 10:03:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
I handle insurance claims for both auto and property policies. It's very common for thieves to target nice neighborhoods looking for items. Nice car, even if no visible items, it's not uncommon for a window to be smashed out and they'll start digging. Thieves aren't going to go digging around in the ghetto, they'll go where the nice properties are.

My advice is not to leave anything valuable in a vehicle.  Especially firearms.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 10:49:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Barrels are not made of butter; they'll be fine.  Condensation from temperature fluctuation would be a more valid concern, but I think you'd be OK there too.  If you must leave them in a car, oil them well, and wrap them.  Now stop retaining stuff in your anus.
Link Posted: 8/4/2018 1:41:28 PM EDT
[#30]
They'll be fine. Plastic parts, the rubber coating on sling swivels etc is what would be first to warp/melt. Your metal components will not.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 5:22:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Where exactly will you be parking and leaving these guns for a month?  Asking for a friend.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 6:06:24 PM EDT
[#32]
My Dad's Remington Nylon 66 warped in the trunk in Missouri heat. 

AZ heat won't hurt an AR.  It is 108 today, outside the truck.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 1:14:49 PM EDT
[#33]
I have been a victim of gun theft far more times than I care to admit, despite my best efforts to the contrary.  I had to make an emergency trip to a town 25 minutes away from my home, I was gone a total of two hours.  My manufacturer guaranteed "burglar proof" safe had been PRIED open and my guns, cash and money orders were stolen.  Anyone who thinks theft can't/won't happen to them, given the right circumstances, is in for a rude awakening.  And yes, before anyone comments on the obvious, I should have, in retrospect, have spent thousands more on my safe, hindsight is always 100%.  BTW, I live in a VERY rural part of the country, a determined thief, particularly those with drug addictions they need to feed, are the scourge of our great Country.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 1:52:36 PM EDT
[#34]
The only firearms I would be concerned about leaving in a hot vehicle are guns that have polymer frames / receivers.

I'm old and trust aluminum and steel more than plastic (in spite of owning Glocks, FN Scar, CZ Bren, HK Pxyz, etc).  I haven't been able to find empirical evidence to support my hypothesis (really just a concern) that temperature fluctuations will degrade polymer elasticity.  Polymer guns "flex" under use.

Our local PD / SD have had Glock 21 frame failures so it does happen (I've personally witnessed this).  ETA: the rear frame rail breaks where the stainless insert is located, but the gun will still operate. The one I saw broke on the ejection port side.  The shooter said his RO's broke in the same location.  The SD switched to 45GAP after this, but have since changed again.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 4:28:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Temps won't affect the gun itself. But battery powered optics will run dead faster when stored at higher temps. And ammo fresh out of a hot car will have greater FPS and pressure which in some cases (IMI *cough*) can cause popped primers which can fall into the trigger well and create a malfunction.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 8:22:58 AM EDT
[#36]
I was “forced” to store my guns in public storage once.  
As stated by others do it covertly.
I used a wardrobe box to keep the long rifles in.
3x3 or book box for pistols.  Do not have anything looking tactical or ammo boxes exposed.  
Do you want a “my stuff just got stolen thread” because that is how you get “my stuff just got stolen thread”.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 12:37:31 AM EDT
[#37]
I stored my AR in the trunk (in a case) over the winter back when I was in college.  All the steel parts got rusty from condensation.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 3:25:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I stored my AR in the trunk (in a case) over the winter back when I was in college.  All the steel parts got rusty from condensation.
View Quote
And that is why you toss in a couple of desiccant packets, if the place you're storing it long term isn't climate controlled.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 3:29:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Is this a real question? People have their cars broken into all the time. It even has it's own name, a car prowl. Everything from the stereo, to guns, to GPS, to spare quarts of oil are stolen everyday.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 2:05:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Do you have a trustworthy friend who can hold onto them?  I have stored for friends before.  One was moving another a bitter divorce he was worried she might actually use his.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 5:48:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:The people saying it will get stolen if in a car let me ask you how is that going to happen if no one can see the gun, how would they know one's in there ? No need to answer.
View Quote
I'll answer anyway.  People break into cars all the time to steal stuff.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top