Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2022 2:42:55 PM EDT
How “wet” do you guys run your guns? Have you noticed a difference in different calibers and what they prefer oil wise?
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 4:58:40 PM EDT
[#1]
On the range I run sopping wet with CLP.

Link Posted: 7/19/2022 7:02:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Visibly damp, but not drooling wet.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 6:36:02 AM EDT
[#3]
LARRY VICKERS YT

Not quite as much as Larry.  

New or dirty guns get more lube. Add as you go.  A dry AR will cause  failures.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 8:18:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dfariswheel] [#4]
It's hard to over lubricate an AR......Whatever it doesn't need will simply get blown out.

Since most lubes will run off or evaporate-dry out, how wet it is depends on how long it's been since you lubed it.
Like beauty in the eye of a beholder, how wet is wet depends on who's lubing it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 10:35:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Taskmaster86] [#5]
Any high temp oil will work really, the caliber is not relevant.

Just run them visibly wet but not dripping. If you do run them dripping wet, the oil will get blown off and usually ends up on your forearms and face. If the BCG looks dry, just relube so it looks wet and shiny again.

My favorite oils are Corrosion-X, G96 synthetic CLP and Weaponshield. I am currently testing Blaster Multi-Max synthetic lubricant and it might be my new go-to because it is so cheap and lubricates almost as well as the more expensive stuff.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 5:25:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I lubricate gun oil on some points in the AR-15 and then red and tacky lithium grease on a number of other points.  

Oil in BCG, trigger group.
Red Lithium grease (light dab) on charging handle and the portion of the BCG that runs as a rail in the upper.    Buffer and spring.

Super light coating of the grease, but where I place it, it pretty much stays and doesn't dry out.

Doesn't carbon foul any more than just rem oil alone and it's pretty easy to clean.     Cost is pretty low for a tube that'll last for decades.

Link Posted: 8/22/2022 5:44:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 1:52:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Jdavid2336:
How “wet” do you guys run your guns? Have you noticed a difference in different calibers and what they prefer oil wise?
View Quote

For AR's overdo it...  make it like a girl on the front row of an Elvis concert in the 1960's
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 5:41:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I saw a funny youtube video where the guy used so much lube it would blow your mind. The entire BCG was covered in grease. Most of the excess just blew out during fire and there were no issues. Ultimately what I took away from that was you can go overboard and you'll be wasting lube and making a mess (in your eyes/face), but that might be better than not enough which tends to cause malfunctions especially in shorter gas systems where the lube burns off faster.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 5:45:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I use a mix of Mobil 1 synthetic oil and the Mobil synthetic grease (the red stuff) that Chad over at "School of the American Rifle" YT channel uses.  Mix it to consistency of honey.  I run my AR's on the wet side and zero issues.  Super cheap lube (for the amount you get for the price compared to those expensive fancy "gun lubes") and it works really really well.  

As for too much lube, you can't over lube an AR.  At worst, you'll just get messy, but there is no danger as some claim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9bOT_d60LM

Link Posted: 1/26/2023 5:47:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Amsoil 10w40
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 2:07:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 6:51:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I’m considering running diesel oil in mine. I live in the AZ desert, I assume 15W-40 will be fine and not too runny?

Link Posted: 3/25/2023 7:05:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Enough lube to ride CH all the way in and still have the bolt slide home.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 7:54:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Combination of CLP and Cherrybalmz/SnakeOil.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 7:48:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EmbraceTheSuck] [#16]
I bring my Break free CLP and keep her moist at the range, never have an issue.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 2:30:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stickyheat] [#17]
Use anything you like so long as you keep it wet. I use royco CLP. Seems to stay put and not burn off but it does smell like shit.

G96 smells better and performs almost as well. I’m using that when I run out of royco.

Really wish they still made weaponshield. That was some good shit.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 2:58:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Visibly wet but not dripping.
Mobil 1 0w20
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:37:01 AM EDT
[#19]
No problem running wet with CLP.  I do have Cherry Balmz also..................
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 8:27:58 AM EDT
[#20]
I have always lubricated my AR/M16 in accordance with TM 9-1005-319-10 or TM 9-1005-249-10.

Never have a problem in cold weather, dust, sand, or pollen

I have not seen the necessity of having it dripping wet.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 8:31:31 AM EDT
[#21]
very wet, doesnt hurt.  slip ewl for me.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 9:12:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dfariswheel:
It's hard to over lubricate an AR......Whatever it doesn't need will simply get blown out.

Since most lubes will run off or evaporate-dry out, how wet it is depends on how long it's been since you lubed it.
Like beauty in the eye of a beholder, how wet is wet depends on who's lubing it.
View Quote

I don't mind getting some oil on me or my clothes.  I get a shower, the clothes go in the washing machine.

The oil (Mobil 1) the AR15 doesn't use gets blown out/wiped off.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 12:40:46 PM EDT
[#23]
I use a healthy coating of either alg go juice thin grease or slip 2000 grease on carrier rails, bolt lugs, a good coating on the gas rings , then I shoot some down in the cam pin groove after I assemble the bcg, then shoot a bit into the exhaust ports into the gas chamber.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 9:13:04 PM EDT
[#24]
"It's hard to over lubricate an AR......Whatever it doesn't need will simply get blown out."

Truth!  
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 3:06:04 PM EDT
[#25]
how thick of motor oil are you guys using?  I've seen a variety of weights listed.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 12:57:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By stickyheat:
Use anything you like so long as you keep it wet.
Really wish they still made weaponshield. That was some good shit.
View Quote

I'm not sure what ever happened to weaponshield. it just kind of disappeared over the last year or so. The good news there is some remaining stock still out there if you look.

https://wattstruckcenter.com/shop/weapon-shield-16oz-bottle-with-spray-top?search=weapon
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 2:15:54 AM EDT
[#27]
I run my sticks with a visible coat of CLP on the BCG unless operating in a desert environment, then I run it a little dryer.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 2:48:56 AM EDT
[#28]
My biggest takeaway from lube threads, is that it doesnt matter that much what you lube with or how you lube it, as long as you use some of something to lube it and get lube on the moving parts.  

Almost all of us report using different lubes, different methods of applying, etc.  In the real world, all of our guns are running fine, or we would change what we were doing ASAP.  

Since we are all sharing how we do it, for me, I run nitride BCGs, lubed relatively lightly per what I think is instruction drawings from a military training manual (basically a little, not a lot, on all the moving parts and wear points).  I have at various times and circumstances over the years, used one or more of CLP, remoil, motor oil, gunslick oil, I even used  chainsaw bar oil a time or two.  Never once had a lube (or lack of) related failure.    

I'm sure some lubes really are better than others.   But as far as I can tell, they are almost all adequate.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 2:56:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Petroleum based liquids work every time.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 3:26:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Mobil 1 0w-20 syn
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 1:16:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Piledriver2235:
Visibly wet but not dripping.
Mobil 1 0w20
View Quote

This.

And I clean with a mix of 67% mineral spirits & 33% Dextron ATF.  I measure this precisely in graduated cylinders.    

Seriously, I just kinda eyeball it.  This is my very simplified version of Ed's Red.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 2:46:42 PM EDT
[#32]
At my club I am one of the guys that folks come looking for when their AR is not running well.

Never once have I seen a AR messing up because somebody used the wrong oil or lube. Any problem gun has been bone dry. More than once I have saved the day by pulling the dipstick on my car or truck and using that oil to wet down the bolt assembly.

In normal use I generally use Breakfree CLP because it has always worked well for me and I find it handy to use one product to clean , lube and protect . Other products will work well also , pick something and use it before the gun gets dry!
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 1:18:08 PM EDT
[#33]
I use CLP and have for quite a while.  I also use a little grease on the rails, etc.

Just for curiosity though, has anyone used the old LSA oil in the squeeze bottle?  I have a few of these, mostly as collectables from an earlier era.  Is this stuff the forerunner of modern CLP products?

It does smell nice.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 8:37:32 AM EDT
[#34]
I fill my AR up with straight 20weight Mobil 1.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 4:33:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By TheQuadfather:
On the range I run sopping shamelessly wet with CLP ATF.

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/11/2023 7:12:27 PM EDT
[#36]
I run soaking wet with CLP, enough that it oozes out and splatters on my glasses the first couple shots.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top