Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/24/2024 10:33:14 AM EDT
A buddy of mine is putting together an AR10 in .308. Starting on thoughts about bull versus fluted barrels and at what length.  Pros? Cons of either?
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:38:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:54:05 AM EDT
[#2]
What is the intended use?

Range Toy? Hunting? All-around?

What range does he want to shoot?
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:58:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By djkest:
What is the intended use?

Range Toy? Hunting? All-around?

What range does he want to shoot?
View Quote

Primarily bench rest, range toy. Right now our current range goes out to 400 but nice to get to the capacity of  the 800 yard max distance for 7.62/308
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:22:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Never buy a bull barrel, especially for a large frame AR. The thing will be a hulking anchor to deal with.

SPR (mid-weight) barrel profiles are very accurate and a lot easier to live with.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:34:20 AM EDT
[#5]
What are you going to do with it? I've carried a 20" bull 556 and it's heavy, sucks to carry in the woods. I've got a fluted 18" grendel, it also sucks.

If you are going to sit on a bench then it doesn't really matter.

If you want an accurate carry gun then you still have a ton of good accurate barrels to choose from.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:41:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Bull barrels suck for anything but a strict bench rifle. Medium contour is fine for a precision rifle that might be carried afield.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:59:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a 24” bull barrel on my DPMS in 6.5 Creedmoor.  With scope, can, and bipod it’ll sink a boat, but that makes it very pleasant to shoot from the bench.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:36:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Heavy barrels are more pleasurable to shoot, light barrels not as much but are easier to carry as mentioned. Heavy barrels have better accuracy and longevity than light.  Barrel fluting is thought to add rigidity to a barrel however most "fluted" barrels today are barely that and I would argue that type of fluting does nothing. The only real fluted barrels came on the Sudanese !R10 and proto type AR15s, anything else is marketing fluff.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top