Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2021 7:42:30 PM EDT
Recently a friend offered me a great deal on a BRN-10, It was set up as a 20" rifle and nice, but had always liked the Portuguese Carbine variant that is incredibly rare and since Brownells had their Portigese style handguads and I found a 16" mid length barrel, I decided to make a reasonably close copy.

I know its not the real deal and never will be, but right now its closer to what I want.  I ground down a F sight block bayonet lug and grenade ring from RTG used in G3 to help the looks move toward the Port copy.

Still trying to decide if I want to cut the barrel to 14.5 and pin the FH to 16+ rather than the 16+ hider it has now.

Currently it shoots and functions smoothly so I might just leave it alone.
pics of the carbine I am trying to replicate (top)

This is it with a 16" barrel.

Link Posted: 11/4/2021 8:50:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Beautiful, OP!
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 8:54:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice!  Now I want one.

BTW, did you do the paint on the furniture?  If so, what did you use?
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 9:07:52 PM EDT
[#3]
For those wanting to replicate a Portuguese Muzzle - A reasonable facsimile of the barrel profile is the Berettta BM59 tri-compensator.

A BM59 Tricomp can be cut behind the bayonet lug, eliminating the heel lug,then re-drilled and tapped for 5/8-24 and used to create a similar look to the portuguese bayone lug grenade spigot.  A  Problem is that if you cut an AR10 barrel close to the gas block I have no idea what kind of gas dwell time you have to play with and one will have to titrate the right gas port drill size to function.
You can then use a BM59 Bayonet which looks like a retro AR bayonet and is Kona brown!

Link Posted: 11/5/2021 6:18:38 AM EDT
[#4]
t
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice!  Now I want one.

BTW, did you do the paint on the furniture?  If so, what did you use?
View Quote

Rustoleum Kona Brown spray paint.  Its been used by othes on this forum for replicating the brown on BRN-10s that are trying to replicate the original brown color.https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Painter-s-Touch-2X-12-oz-Gloss-Kona-Brown-General-Purpose-Spray-Paint-334038/307244815

I also have used this same paint on other guns trying to replicate a Bakelite tone.   Here is a 22LR Walther PPK/s (a new one) that I didn't care for the lack of grip options so I tried to replicate an older model.

Link Posted: 11/5/2021 7:09:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Well done!
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 11:25:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Well done OP.  Your post is motivating!
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 11:42:17 AM EDT
[#7]
outstanding work!  well done OP
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 4:55:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Beautiful job!  I'd leave it as is.
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 7:14:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I personally would go with the 14.5 with PW, it looks great now but would look even better a bit shorter. If your anything like me, it will bother you until you finally do it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 9:50:58 PM EDT
[#10]
It looks great. I love my BRN-10 but I really would desire a Portuguese AR-10
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 1:38:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Fantastic! One of my dream rifles in a dream configuration.  I'd leave it as is - it looks authentic and you can always get a 14.5 in a more modern AR10 offering
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 1:44:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Beautiful, OP!
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/6/2021 6:25:08 AM EDT
[#13]
I'd like to make some more but the BRN-10's have dried up making it difficult for a guy that wants to tinker.

I had thought of trying to replicate the Bipod variant or Portuguese Rifle Variant by using an Israeli FAL forend as a starting point.
Once could conceivably use a different sourced cylindrical shroud or slotted tubing to experiment with as well.  A scrap Suomi barrel shroud and then somehow affix / integrate the Brownells Portuguese style round handguards.

Link Posted: 11/6/2021 10:49:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I personally would go with the 14.5 with PW, it looks great now but would look even better a bit shorter. If your anything like me, it will bother you until you finally do it.
View Quote

The original Dutch AR10 carbines would have a barrel length of 16.25" if the flashhider were permanently attached. But such a clone would require some original bakelite handguards since they are a bit shorter than the ones sold by Brownells.
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 1:19:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes I do know that exact feeling.  It's a side effect of retro disease.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 8:26:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 6:50:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Keep the BRN-10 Alive! I have two - one I built from parts and had the barrel shortened to just in front of the Gas Block. It has a pinned and welded Dead Air adapter so I can run my Sandman S. I retained the original rifle length gas system, and it runs great. I honestly only shoot it with the can on it, and its super soft shooting with no excess gas to the face.

Your Portuguese carbine is awesome. I have a set of Port handguards from Brownells as well. It would be cool if someone made or 3D printed a heat shield or adapter so we could use the Port handguards on the Rifles.

My inspiration:

Attachment Attached File

My Rifles:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 4:37:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Keep the BRN-10 Alive! I have two - one I built from parts and had the barrel shortened to just in front of the Gas Block. It has a pinned and welded Dead Air adapter so I can run my Sandman S. I retained the original rifle length gas system, and it runs great. I honestly only shoot it with the can on it, and its super soft shooting with no excess gas to the face.

Your Portuguese carbine is awesome. I have a set of Port handguards from Brownells as well. It would be cool if someone made or 3D printed a heat shield or adapter so we could use the Port handguards on the Rifles.

My inspiration:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/528549/screen-shot-2018-07-05-at-1-49-36-pm_ori-2159206.JPG

My Rifles:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/528549/brn_jpg-2159208.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/528549/BRN10_s_jpg-2159205.JPG
View Quote

Excellent!  I was wondering if anyone had attempted a replica of the Original Armalite "Beer Can" Brake - But a suppressor makes so much sense actually!  Why didn't I think of that!  Nice.

I too wish someone might make a replica of the heat sheilds - I am working on a baby brother of the Portuguese full size rifle (using the Brownells proto set) and trying to figure a way to gap that mid length hand-guard.  Right now I might be using a portion of a Suomi M31 barrel shroud or PPSH shroud - or part of an Israelie FAL metal handguard - Only the original part will do but these may create a reasonable faux appearance anyway.

I wonder if NDS would like to make Retro AR10 receivers ????

Link Posted: 11/8/2021 7:49:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
t

Rustoleum Kona Brown spray paint.  Its been used by othes on this forum for replicating the brown on BRN-10s that are trying to replicate the original brown color.https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Painter-s-Touch-2X-12-oz-Gloss-Kona-Brown-General-Purpose-Spray-Paint-334038/307244815

I also have used this same paint on other guns trying to replicate a Bakelite tone.   Here is a 22LR Walther PPK/s (a new one) that I didn't care for the lack of grip options so I tried to replicate an older model.

https://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a607/X-ray6/002_zpseryabwxq.jpg
View Quote

Cool!  Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 8:14:22 AM EDT
[#20]
This IMGUR page has a few good pictures of the OG AI AR-10 Handguards and how they interface with the rifle. I'm sure its doable - once I get some time and money to pursue the project I was thinking of 3D printing some.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 9:57:36 AM EDT
[#21]
This IMGUR page [/url] has a few good pictures of the OG AI AR-10 Handguards and how they interface with the rifle. I'm sure its doable - once I get some time and money to pursue the project I was thinking of 3D printing some.

Most informative.  Very well presented.  Clears up a lot of questions.  Those are very high quality photos.  Thank you for that.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 2:24:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 4:28:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Handguards are easy, see my historical threads on reproducing the Port handguards.

Back around y2k I had a stamper look at the Port heat shields, he told me about $70k to tool up but then that is the stop on anything retro AR10 I have found. The tool up price keeps parts being re-popped in more than ones or twos (tortured labors of love),

Link Posted: 11/9/2021 9:27:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Handguards are easy, see my historical threads on reproducing the Port handguards.

Back around y2k I had a stamper look at the Port heat shields, he told me about $70k to tool up but then that is the stop on anything retro AR10 I have found. The tool up price keeps parts being re-popped in more than ones or twos (tortured labors of love),

View Quote

Yikes!  It's a huge cost barrier.  

I'm working on making a stop gap solution for a smaller version rifle I am hoping to finish in the next few weeks using scrap barrel shrouds and other handguards.  It won't be original but nothing on this will be anyway.

Link Posted: 11/10/2021 8:39:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Anyone know the story behind bayonet lugs being oriented on the top side of rifles for that and then they rotated to the traditional downward position on the carbine and Squad guns?

I'm working on a project gun and figure I will keep it authentic and orient it up - but curious about the history and reasoning?
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 11:18:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Anyone know the story behind bayonet lugs being oriented on the top side of rifles for that and then they rotated to the traditional downward position on the carbine and Squad guns?

I'm working on a project gun and figure I will keep it authentic and orient it up - but curious about the history and reasoning?
View Quote

Not familiar with strategy, but there were just a couple of dozen AR10 carbines made and all were considered Transitional.  That means they have the simple one piece charging handle and small bolt lugs.  The bayonet lugs were not standard among Transitionals but tended to be on the top, like shown in the OP.  I have seen at least one carbine with no bayonet lug and the others I have seen (Knights museum, Delft museum, etc) have the top bayonet lug like in the OP.  Transitional rifles run the same gamut except there are a few that have a wide bottom lug that takes a Sudanese bayonet.  

Carbines are frequently faked and the charging handle is the first tell.  The shortened carbine heat shields can be faked by clipping Porto heat shields but the real deal is a special stamping.

Squad guns have no bayonet lug.  But there were only a dozen or so prototypes.

Given the absolute scarcity of AR10 carbines and squad guns it should just be a personal choice where, how, and if a bayonet lug is attached.    There was no real production so let your imagination loose.

Link Posted: 11/12/2021 6:42:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Awesome build OP!
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 2:24:31 PM EDT
[#28]
EXCELLENT JOB! CONGRATULATIONS! Normally I roll my eyes when I look at the various AR-10 projects people undertake with BRN-10 rifles but your efforts are truly remarkable. Once upon a time Peter Wilke sold me a KLM carbine kit and I assembled it on a Specialty Arms lower. Phenomenally well balanced carbine and a joy to shoot. Always made me wonder if there was an alternate universe where the AR-10 was adopted by the US Army and MACV-SOG teams were armed with 7.62 NATO caliber XM177E2’s on patrol.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 10:45:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
EXCELLENT JOB! CONGRATULATIONS! Normally I roll my eyes when I look at the various AR-10 projects people undertake with BRN-10 rifles but your efforts are truly remarkable. Once upon a time Peter Wilke sold me a KLM carbine kit and I assembled it on a Specialty Arms lower. Phenomenally well balanced carbine and a joy to shoot. Always made me wonder if there was an alternate universe where the AR-10 was adopted by the US Army and MACV-SOG teams were armed with 7.62 NATO caliber XM177E2’s on patrol.
View Quote

Thank you for the compliments.

Funny Friends of mine were buying Wilke's kits and parts way back in the 80s and I thought they were interesting but never got into them - then. (stupid).  Receivers were scarce and I never seem to time opportunities right.  I thought the name of his town in Ontario was peculiar but learned it was named for benign reasons than one might think.

I thought similar about the AR10 carbine as being a hit with some troops but too bad it never got a chance.

I am about to use some 5.56 Brownells Proto Receivers to make some "Baby" (223/5.56) AR10 Portuguese clones (firle and eventually a carbine) since 308 is sort of gone and we can still get the 223 receivers.  Its fun to think "what if" the Dutch had re-entered the business at a later date and offered a 223 variant of the AI AR10 when the AR15 emerged.  Its all fantasy bit sure is fun to tinker and make facsimiles of what are attractive AR rifles.
I think its fun to
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 12:26:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I thought the name of his town in Ontario was peculiar but learned it was named for benign reasons than one might think.
View Quote

Kenogami?
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 4:04:41 PM EDT
[#31]
That's very cool OP.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 8:15:07 PM EDT
[#32]
@cherenkov - did you figure out heat-shields yet?  I messed around with my portuguese handguards and put them on a spare midlength upper and that got me thinking about this thread again
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 9:42:31 PM EDT
[#33]
What about 3D printing a set of handguard liners? With some paint they might end up looking pretty decent with a set of trimmed Brownells handguards.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 5:10:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
@cherenkov - did you figure out heat-shields yet?  I messed around with my portuguese handguards and put them on a spare midlength upper and that got me thinking about this thread again
View Quote

I never got to making them for this build.  I did improvise on my faux Portuguese 223 build.

I used an extension between the mid length handguard and the rifle length set front sight block by inserting a cut and re-formed section of Israeli FAL ventilated handguard metal

here is a pick of that - its less than perfect but a fun gun and the BM59 muzzle device combo makes it look decent.

Link Posted: 1/11/2022 1:26:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Between this, your Portuguese .223, and MTR_ACTUAL's SWAT build, I'm really wanting to start another build. Can you tell me more about using the BM59 tricomp? If I had it cut behind the bayonet lug, is it just a matter of having it female threaded 1/2x28 there? I'm thinking I'd have it pin and welded to an 11.5 barrel.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 9:30:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I never got to making them for this build.  I did improvise on my faux Portuguese 223 build.

I used an extension between the mid length handguard and the rifle length set front sight block by inserting a cut and re-formed section of Israeli FAL ventilated handguard metal

here is a pick of that - its less than perfect but a fun gun and the BM59 muzzle device combo makes it look decent.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/a607/X-ray6/IMG_2044.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/a607/X-ray6/IMG_2044.jpg

Nice job! Very cool!
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 6:09:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
A BM59 Tricomp can be cut behind the bayonet lug, eliminating the heel lug,then re-drilled and tapped for 5/8-24 and used to create a similar look to the portuguese bayone lug grenade spigot.
View Quote

What did you use to re-drill and tap for 5/8-24? Also, assume you did a crush washer or something to allow you time it correctly?

I just got my spare BRN10 put together and would love a tri-comp on it like you did
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 5:57:21 PM EDT
[#38]
@cherenkov

Could you please take some closer shots of the muzzle device setup you have and some more details on what parts you used and how it all came together?
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top