Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2022 2:56:45 PM EDT
I have my carry handle set perfectly with my Z at 200 and I shot 100 through 400 today,  but in order to zero I had to go quite far left.  Please see picture.  Do I need to send the upper to a gunsmith or back to PSA;  or is it fine since it's zero'ed perfectly?  

Note Left Offset
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 3:17:04 PM EDT
[#1]
If the FSB is canted your rear sight will be off to one side as well.  If it gets zeroed and your OCD isn't triggered, let it be.  Otherwise I'd contact PSA and have them make it right.

ETA: Pics no worky
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 3:21:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If the FSB is canted your rear sight will be off to one side as well.  If it gets zeroed and your OCD isn't triggered, let it be.  Otherwise I'd contact PSA and have them make it right.

ETA: Pics no worky
View Quote

Most likely it's this, mine was same as OP with a Magpul rear site.
I cut front site off and mounted a RDS.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 3:32:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree with the previous poster that it's likely a front sight issue rather than rear.

If you have the tools and know what you are doing, you can possibly reinstall the barrel while putting a little torque on it in the other direction as you tighten the barrel nut and shift it a degree or two in the other direction.

But if it's new, I'd just send it back.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:12:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have my carry handle set perfectly with my Z at 200 and I shot 100 through 400 today,  but in order to zero I had to go quite far left.  Please see picture.  Do I need to send the upper to a gunsmith or back to PSA;  or is it fine since it's zero'ed perfectly?  

Note Left Offset
View Quote

Had a similar issue with a PSA rifle. Canted FSB. Sent it back 3 times and each time it was worse. I finally got tired of the problem and bought a new upper, and contacted them to let them know I was pissed.

In the end they did take care of me and credited the cost, but it was a painful experience and whoever processes repairs is drinking or doing something besides fixing them.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 4:00:30 PM EDT
[#5]
a canted FSB is usually from a too tight barrel nut
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 5:17:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
a canted FSB is usually often from a too tight barrel nut
View Quote

Except for when they drill/pin them crooked.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 7:07:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
a canted FSB is usually from a too tight barrel nut
View Quote

Possibly, but like Tig said, the FSB could be pinned crooked.

Also, lack of lube in the proper areas and upper receiver vise blocks vs. Reaction Rod type tool could have a thing or two to do with FSB canting as well.

In my experience, there is usually a slight cant in the sights one way or the other before the barrel nut is even torqued, if it's only slight, it can be corrected by using either upper receiver vise blocks or a Reaction Rod type tool for the barrel nut installation procedure... It just depends on which way you need the FSB to go.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 7:19:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Op I think canted FSB is the default answer.

Instead I propose that you get your receiver face trued or lapped. It brought extreme windage a few clicks from zero on every rifle I own.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 10:33:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Truing the upper receiver face will usually help align the sights closer to mechanical zero.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 5:57:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I’ve had two PSA uppers come with canted sights. First one they straightened out and it zeroed fine, I still have the second one currently and I was able to get a 25 yard zero on it. I’m probably about to just put a cheap 1-4x on it and call it a day. This is apparently pretty common. PSA should take care of it though, you just may have to contact them on here vs their customer service, I know I had to.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 10:08:15 AM EDT
[#11]
If you plan to:

- Not use the gun for bench shooting
- installing a scope/RDS as primary sighting system
- maybe mod the gun by chopping the FSB & installing a longer ff handguard

Then leave it as it is.. especially if you got an accurate barrel.
Otherwise give a chance to PSA to fix it.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top