Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/28/2024 4:56:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RangeToy]
Today was break in day for it. Ran about 5 mags through with no problems at all (All factory Glock mags.three 33 rounders & 2 G19X mags). That was with 115 & 124gr ammo.

Then I put the can on and went to 147gr ammo and it ran fine for the 1st few then would not cycle. I had to manually charge it after every round. I figured it just doesn't like the can w/that buffer. Took the can off and tried the 147gr. Still not cycling.

Went back to 115gr (Still no can) and still the same problem. I don't see anything that had abnormal metal to metal contact when I took it apart. The Stern mag adapter didn't come loose.

The lower I am using was used on previous builds and has never given me a problem. Running mil-spec trigger as well.

The Bolt is from Stern. The upper is an Aero EPC9 w/LRBHO that I bought new. Running a Strike flat wire carbine spring and Spikes ST-T3 Heavy Buffer.

I doubt it's the ammo or the mags as the mags have always run perfect & I have run Federal & Blazer brass for a long time like most of us.

What am I missing here so I can fix it?

PHOTOS OF BOLT & MAG ADAPTER: https://imgur.com/a/FADJ6oA
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 5:13:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By RangeToy:
Today was break in day for it. Ran about 5 mags through with no problems at all (All factory Glock mags.three 33 rounders & 2 G19X mags). That was with 115 & 124gr ammo.

Then I put the can on and went to 147gr ammo and it ran fine for the 1st few then would not cycle. I had to manually charge it after every round. I figured it just doesn't like the can w/that buffer. Took the can off and tried the 146gr. Still not cycling.

Went back to 115gr (Still no can) and still the same problem. I don't see anything that had abnormal metal to metal contact when I took it apart. The Stern mag adapter didn't come loose.

The lower I am using was used on previous builds and has never given me a problem. Running mil-spec trigger as well.

The Bolt is from Stern. The upper is an Aero EPC9 w/LRBHO that I bought new. Running a Strike flat wire carbine spring and Spikes ST-T3 Heavy Buffer.

I doubt it's the ammo or the mags as the mags have always run perfect & I have run Federal & Blazer brass for a long time like most of us.

What am I missing here so I can fix it?

PHOTOS OF BOLT & MAG ADAPTER: https://imgur.com/a/FADJ6oA
View Quote

I use a Wilson flat wire carbine and buffers from 7.6-8oz....yours is 5.4oz....otherwise without seeing it I have no idea.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 5:16:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gqllc:

I use a Wilson flat wire carbine and buffers from 7.6-8oz....yours is 5.4oz....otherwise without seeing it I have no idea.
View Quote

That's the buffer weight Stern recommends and sells on their site. I thought must be buffer too until it no longer ran right when I took the can off.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 5:20:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Did you lube the gun when it started having issues?
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 5:23:45 PM EDT
[#4]

That's the buffer weight Stern recommends and sells on their site. I thought must be buffer too until it no longer ran right when I took the can off.
View Quote

You can remove the buffer spring and see if it is binding? Otherwise not sure
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 5:27:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RangeToy] [#5]
Originally Posted By GeorgiaBII:
Did you lube the gun when it started having issues?
View Quote

I did not. When I got home and took it apart, things were not bone dry or even close, though.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 5:36:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I’d get a 9mm buffer and plain carbine spring to try as that combo works for me in all of my AR9’s.

https://www.spikestactical.com/collections/lower-parts/st-9x-9mm-heavy-buffer/
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 5:42:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm ordering the KAK K-Spec 7.8oz setup. Hope it solves things
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 6:32:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I still find it odd that it ran great for about 150 rounds then started acting up
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 11:20:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Describe this not cycling.
Is the round firing, but the bolt doesn't move? It fires and bolt moves, but short strokes? That will help in diagnosing.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 12:11:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 243savage:
Describe this not cycling.
Is the round firing, but the bolt doesn't move? It fires and bolt moves, but short strokes? That will help in diagnosing.
View Quote

It fires, but I have to manually charge it to get the next round in the chamber
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 3:51:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: edcing] [#11]

It fires, but I have to manually charge it to get the next round in the chamber
View Quote

Is the round that just fired ejecting? Or you successfully feed the round into the chamber, it fires, but the bolt doesn't move properly, so you have to rack the charging handle to eject the round and then it loads the next round as the charging handle goes back home?

Just a few curiosities - the ST-T3 buffer looks like it's 5.5 ounces and the Stern bolt is 15.5 ounces which puts it under the minimum 22 ounces. Also, what is the length of the ST-T3 buffer? If it is the standard carbine 3.25" buffer, you'll want a .75" spacer assuming you have a standard buffer tube - was your trigger not resetting?
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 10:35:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By edcing:

Is the round that just fired ejecting? Or you successfully feed the round into the chamber, it fires, but the bolt doesn't move properly, so you have to rack the charging handle to eject the round and then it loads the next round as the charging handle goes back home?

Just a few curiosities - the ST-T3 buffer looks like it's 5.5 ounces and the Stern bolt is 15.5 ounces which puts it under the minimum 22 ounces. Also, what is the length of the ST-T3 buffer? If it is the standard carbine 3.25" buffer, you'll want a .75" spacer assuming you have a standard buffer tube - was your trigger not resetting?
View Quote

It ejects the fired round so when I manually charge, it also ejects the next on fired round from the magazine.

It's the same weight that Stern sells and recommends on their website so that's why I went with that.

Link Posted: 1/31/2024 11:05:49 AM EDT
[#13]

It ejects the fired round so when I manually charge, it also ejects the next on fired round from the magazine.

It's the same weight that Stern sells and recommends on their website so that's why I went with that.

View Quote

It looks like it was meant for 223.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 7:09:47 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

So you’re saying the trigger is not resetting, correct?
It fires 1 round the hammer follows the bcg down and the trigger is dead the next time you want to pull it, correct?
What fire control group is in it?
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 7:33:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RangeToy] [#15]
Originally Posted By 3-gun:

So you’re saying the trigger is not resetting, correct?
It fires 1 round the hammer follows the bcg down and the trigger is dead the next time you want to pull it, correct?
What fire control group is in it?
View Quote

I honestly don't recall if the trigger reset or not. Mil-Spec FCG.
Installed the KAK K-Spec buffer & spring today. Going to try again this weekend
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 8:14:23 PM EDT
[#16]

I honestly don't recall if the trigger reset or not. Mil-Spec FCG.
Installed the KAK K-Spec buffer & spring today. Going to try again this weekend
View Quote

As long as you got the pcc version, should fix the problems. 4" long buffer (the one you had prior is 3.25") and weighs 9.5 oz which will put you well above the bare minimum of 22 ounces.

The problems are very likely because the bolt travel and weight were incorrect.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 3:10:50 PM EDT
[#17]

As long as you got the pcc version, should fix the problems. 4" long buffer (the one you had prior is 3.25") and weighs 9.5 oz which will put you well above the bare minimum of 22 ounces.

The problems are very likely because the bolt travel and weight were incorrect.
View Quote

Hopefully, it's just odd that it ran fine for almost 150 rounds then acted up
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 6:38:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Happy to report that the KAK K-Spec buffer fixed my problem. Bonus round, it also reduced felt recoil.

Thank you everyone for your help
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 9:41:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Happy to report that the KAK K-Spec buffer fixed my problem. Bonus round, it also reduced felt recoil.

Thank you everyone for your help
View Quote

Great to hear!
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top