Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/8/2019 1:39:39 AM EDT
Does anyone know of an AR-15 upper or rifle that will cycle subsonic ammunition?
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 1:41:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to ARFCom
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 1:54:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks ! Was wondering if anyone knows of an AR-15 upper  or rifle that will cycle subsonic ammo?
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 2:12:25 AM EDT
[#3]
One guy mentioned that in here: https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Setup-for-reduced-loads-Concept-and-initial-test/4-738347/#i7864556

I don't know of any factory upper or rifle that will do it.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 2:14:34 AM EDT
[#4]
probably need a pistol length gas on a 14" or longer barrel, or an oversized carbine length on a 16 or longer then dick around with everything else. subsonic .223 is just about the same thing as a .22lr so except for a few giggles i dont think people go that route, might as well get a .22 conversion and save on ammo cost
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 5:28:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Engel Ballastic Research (sp?)

used to make subsonic 5.56 that was designed to cycle a standard AR action.. It was for Military use supposedly. Used Tungsten bullets in order to be heavy, but still be short enough to stabilize in a 1-7 barrel.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 2:08:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Subsonic 5.56 in an AR isn't very attractive when you can be quieter and cheaper with .22 or significantly more effective with any number of larger subsonic rounds.

I think the only real use is occasional military applications like shooting wild dogs.

.300 using the same mags and bolts makes it even less attractive.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 2:25:30 PM EDT
[#7]
In order to build a rifle that would work you would probably have to limit it to sub-sonic only. If the gas system was designed to work with low power ammo it would not be happy with full power loads.

.22 long rifle, .300 Blackout or 9mm shooting 147's are your only real options.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 2:41:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In order to build a rifle that would work you would probably have to limit it to sub-sonic only. If the gas system was designed to work with low power ammo it would not be happy with full power loads.

.22 long rifle, .300 Blackout or 9mm shooting 147's are your only real options.
View Quote
Ballistically better also.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 10:54:13 AM EDT
[#9]
At that point you might as well be shooting 22 long rifle.

Yes you could get better projectiles with a 223, but moving at that slow of a speed the terminal effects aren't likely to be much better.

It could probably be done but the expense wouldn't be worth the result.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 1:46:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks so much !
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 8:45:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Hickok45 did a video of shooting subsonic .223, surprisingly it looked like it was still punching holes in a steel drum.

Yea, rimfire is cheaper. But if you want to build an upper shooting subsonic .223 I'd say a 16" barrel with a carbine system or a 12-14" w/pistol length system would be a good start.

Gonna need a pretty good sized gas port so I'd say an adjustable gas block, a lightweight carrier and a softer buffer spring would be good too.

I've not seen anyone actually build one from the ground up so I can't say what will absolutely work.

But I can say for sure, subsonic .300bo is WAY cheaper than subsonic .223, and there's lots of inexpensive .300bo uppers.

FWIW I have a Ruger Mini 14 in .300bo, it won't cycle subsonic unsuppressed but works fine as a 'straight pull', that is I can manually cycle the action between shots without jamming the action with a spent case. So maybe a side charger would be a better option, so if there's not enough 'oomph' to cycle, you can still do it by hand.

Just out of curiosity I'd thought about getting a box of subsonic .223 and see if it would cycle in my 10" AR pistol if I dropped in the lightweight BCG & softer spring from my .300bo pistol.
But Atomic subs are a buck a round for a 50 round box and while Detroit Ammo has theirs for half that, they never have a 30 round box in stock, smallest size available is a 120 round box.

And if subsonic .223 is your absolute goal, You may find something like a bolt action .223 is an easier solution. The Ruger American Ranch even takes AR mags.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 11:28:50 AM EDT
[#12]
....22 long rifle, .300 Blackout or 9mm shooting 147's are your only real options.
View Quote
this
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 6:05:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Just saw this on Facebook

Attachment Attached File
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top