Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2022 6:02:06 PM EDT
So I want to get into some semantics here. The first question is 1) What does "AR-15 Style" rifle mean, if anything? Is this just the language of the antis that doesn't really mean anything?

In my book, if it follows Eugene Stoner's AR-15 design, it IS an AR-15. I could get into the specifics of what constitutes that design, things like the buffer tube, separable upper and lower, etc, but I won't in this post.

As one example, I would consider the Smith and Wesson M&P 15 a specific brand and model of AR-15. But it IS an AR-15, not just "AR-15 style".

Secondly, which is more of an assertion that I want people to confirm or dispute, that an AR-15 includes an entire category of firearms.

For example in my book, the M4/M16 are specific models of AR-15, made to certain specs including barrel length and a select fire option. I wouldn't normally refer to an M4 or M16 as an AR-15 because of current restrictions I think of those as military/gov weapons and AR-15s as more of the civilian version. Further, because the barrel length and select fire option make a huge difference from a legal perspective it is an important distinction to remain on the right side of the law.

An M16/M4 is a specific type of AR-15, built to certain specs, and has a burst or auto option in addition to semi-auto. I would even consider an HK416 a type of AR-15, with the main difference being the piston. You could pop the upper off and put it on an AR-15 lower and it would work, and vice versa. In free states you could build out an AR-15 to the same specs as an M4, either via SBR route or pinned muzzle device, and the only real difference would be the select fire option.

Is there any point in calling some an "AR-15 style" rifle rather than just calling it an AR-15? Does it make sense to think of an M16/M4/HK416 as a type of AR-15?
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 6:22:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I agree with you. I was confused when the police finally came out and showed the weapon used in the parade attack was an actual AR-15.

They initially said "high-powered" weapon and "like an AR15." Sounds like the people in charge just don't know guns. The M&P doesn't say AR15 on it anywhere so they said AR15-style.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 6:46:18 PM EDT
[#2]
It stands for "ArmaLite Rifle 15"  It was the 10th rifle they made.  The AR-10, was the 10th, AR-7 the 5th, etc.  While the first AR-15 was designed select fire & was an assault rifle that has nothing to do with it's name.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 7:46:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I know what an AR-15 style rifle is, but what I still can't figure out is the shoulder thing that goes up.

Link Posted: 7/8/2022 7:56:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Been on here 8 years and has 57 posts... Liberal journalist looking for key words to throw in an article? ??
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 9:36:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Straight from Wiki and surely referenced by nearly every journalist on earth....

An AR-15-style rifle is any lightweight semi-automatic rifle based on the Colt AR-15 design. 
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 10:01:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Straight from Wiki and surely referenced by nearly every journalist on earth....

An AR-15-style rifle is any lightweight semi-automatic rifle based on the Colt AR-15 design. 
View Quote

An AR style rifle is any semiautomatic rifle syled after an AR-15. Hmm... Sounds like Wikipedia knowledge ??
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 10:12:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

An AR style rifle is any semiautomatic rifle syled after an AR-15. Hmm... Sounds like Wikipedia knowledge ??
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey, at least the idiots didn't refer to it as an "assault weapon " or "machine gun ".
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 11:13:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It stands for "ArmaLite Rifle 15"  It was the 10th rifle they made.  The AR-10, was the 10th, AR-7 the 5th, etc.  While the first AR-15 was designed select fire & was an assault rifle that has nothing to do with it's name.
View Quote

No …AR stands for ArmaLite -15
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 11:20:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Not an AR15.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/9/2022 7:16:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, Colt didn't design the AR-15, so the above makes no sense. I supposed because Colt made some changes, such as the location of the charging handle, this constitutes a new design? Maybe because Colt owns the trademark, journalists feel the need to call something AR-15 style, rather than AR-15?
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 7:41:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I agree with you. I was confused when the police finally came out and showed the weapon used in the parade attack was an actual AR-15.

They initially said "high-powered" weapon and "like an AR15." Sounds like the people in charge just don't know guns. The M&P doesn't say AR15 on it anywhere so they said AR15-style.
View Quote

It drives me crazy whenever they write "high powered". Sure, I wouldn't want to get shot with a .223/5.56, but it's an intermediate cartridge.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 7:44:28 AM EDT
[#12]

It sure looks like one? Or are you talking about the tire?
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 7:46:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Been on here 8 years and has 57 posts... Liberal journalist looking for key words to throw in an article? ??
View Quote

A "liberal journalist" is an oxymoron these days. What is the minimum number of posts for someone on here for 8 years for them to be elevated from suspected liberal journalist to whatever the next rung up is?
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 7:51:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
corrected
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 8:53:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
While it looks like one, the upper and lower are a different size. It also uses a piston driven operating system.

It's a LWRC Six8.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 9:11:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Well, Colt didn't design the AR-15, so the above makes no sense. I supposed because Colt made some changes, such as the location of the charging handle, this constitutes a new design? Maybe because Colt owns the trademark, journalists feel the need to call something AR-15 style, rather than AR-15?
View Quote

If you expect technical accuracy in descriptions from the media outlets,  you will be disappointed. This is nothing new.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 9:22:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It drives me crazy whenever they write "high powered". Sure, I wouldn't want to get shot with a .223/5.56, but it's an intermediate cartridge.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, that's why they're so commonly used in NRA High Power matches?
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 11:09:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

No …AR stands for ArmaLite Rifle 15.

Link Posted: 7/9/2022 12:12:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Your response checks out OK. You didn't get all butthurt like a liberal would have. Maybe you're OK after all
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 1:30:55 PM EDT
[#20]
What the media are promoting:

Video:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/peopleandplaces/as-the-debate-continues-gun-control-advocates-should-arm-themselves-with-this-firearm-terminology

Article:
https://www.businessinsider.com/terms-to-know-about-guns-when-discussing-mass-shootings-2019-8#assault-weapons-3

The AR-15 is a semi-automatic rifle and has been referred to by the National Rifle Association as "America's most popular rifle."

The "AR" in AR-15 does not stand for "assault rifle," but is linked to the original manufacturer of the firearm: ArmaLite, Inc. The name stands for ArmaLite Rifle.

The AR-15 was originally developed by ArmaLite to be a military rifle, designing it for fast reloading in combat situations, but the company hit financial troubles. By 1959, ArmaLite sold the design of the AR-15 to Colt, which had success in pitching it to the US military.

The rifle's automatic version, the M-16, was used during the Vietnam War. Meanwhile, Colt sold the semi-automatic version, the AR-15, to the public and police.

"If you're a hunter, camper, or collector, you'll want the AR-15 Sporter," a 1963 advertisement for the firearm said.

Colt's patent on the rifle's operating system expired in 1977, opening the door for other manufacturers to copy the technology and make their own models.

The AR-15 was prohibited from 1994 to 2004 via the assault weapons ban. Gun manufacturers promptly reintroduced the AR-15 after the ban expired, and sales went way up.

There are "well over 11 million" AR-15 style rifles in the hands of Americans, according to an investigation by CBS News's "60 Minutes," which also notes handguns kill "far more people."

But AR-15 style rifles have frequently been used in mass shootings, placing the firearm at the center of the debate over gun control — particularly in relation to whether an assault weapons ban should be reimposed.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 3:07:46 PM EDT
[#21]
That's cool, I never really looked into it as I basically went the other direction (300 AAC). Sounds like a different upper/lower size to accommodate more reliable mags?
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 4:37:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That's cool, I never really looked into it as I basically went the other direction (300 AAC). Sounds like a different upper/lower size to accommodate more reliable mags?
View Quote
Correct. It also uses a shorter buffer tube, buffer, and flatwire spring so the stock can be shorter.

They're used by the Saudi royal guard.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 8:27:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No…having worked for them in the modern configuration and having access to the original intellectual property AR = ArmaLite.

Using your logic an AR-17 is an ArmaLite Rifle Shotgun…

‘AR’ STANDS FOR ARMALITE

Some people—even some within the firearms industry and hunting and target-shooting communities—remain misinformed about AR-style modern sporting rifles, thinking that the AR prefix stands for “assault rifle” or “automatic rifle.”

It means neither.

The AR stands for ArmaLite, the company that in the 1950s developed this style of rifle, which eventually became both the military’s M16 rifle and the civilian semi-automatic sporting rifle known as the AR-15, or modern sporting rifle. This civilian rifle, manufactured by many companies today, is confused with its military cousin because it looks similar. The civilian version, however, is limited to firing one round with each pull of the trigger, just as other semi-automatics operate.

Link Posted: 7/9/2022 9:11:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 9:25:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Was up late last night, and it's too fucking early for this shit
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 11:02:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 11:03:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So, that's why they're so commonly used in NRA High Power matches?
View Quote

The term High Power in NRA/CMP competitions is used to differentiate from rimfire.

Link Posted: 7/10/2022 3:27:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

A "liberal journalist" is an oxymoron these days. What is the minimum number of posts for someone on here for 8 years for them to be elevated from suspected liberal journalist to whatever the next rung up is?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  The opposite of an oxymoron.  Liberal journalist is a 100% certainty.   Oxymoron is two adjacent words with opposite meaning.  I know what you meant, however.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 2:00:34 AM EDT
[#29]
It can't be called an AR 15 unless it is an actual Colt because they own the AR 15 name. It's a registered trademark to Colt.
Jon
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top