Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2018 11:07:30 PM EDT
I have a 6.5 Grendel I build years ago.  Long story short...
I tried upgrading the gas system because it started messing up and ejecting wrong a lot, all gummed up gas block and tube.

I have a Satern bull barrel and an SLR Sentry 9 .936 adjustable gas block extended rifle length gas system.

I have a extended rifle handguard, free float tube  that is 1.75 inside diameter and its far from fitting on...  it wont screw on over the gas block to hide it.  The gas block is too large and hits the handguard so bad I cant screw the handguard on all the way.

Anyone had this issue with SLR .936 gas blocks?

When I contacted SLR a while back I was basically told "that sucks, we dont have a clue what to do, and we dont know of a handguard that fits either...
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 2:02:44 AM EDT
[#1]
So a 15" gas system and 15" handguard? I'm thinking remove the gas block, put handguard on, put gas block on.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 2:30:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Wait, what handguard?

The SLR sentry 9 isn't that big.  You may need to switch to a different handguard.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 5:02:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wait, what handguard?

The SLR sentry 9 isn't that big.  You may need to switch to a different handguard.
View Quote
The handguard I had was a Nordic components slotted customizable free float tube from midway usa.  It was a cheaper handguard that worked fine with the old cheap gas block.

The SLR gas block is 1.6 inches top to bottom, but its taller on the top part of the gas block, thats where it hits the handguard if I remember correctly.

Maybe its the cylinder type tube it doesnt fit with?

Im looking at the seekins precision SP3R V3 rail system handguard.  There again though with a heavy barrel down the middle of it, im not sure how much room itd have above the barrel still...
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 3:04:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Can you take some pics and put them on a host site and provide the links? One of us can post them up for you since you don't have enough posts on this forum yet to do it yourself.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 5:10:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can you take some pics and put them on a host site and provide the links? One of us can post them up for you since you don't have enough posts on this forum yet to do it yourself.
View Quote
I dont have it all on hand at the moment.  Ill get pics in a week or so and have to come back to the table with it all here.

Never ran into an issue like this before..
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 7:13:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Well OP.

Pics would help cause I'm curious what your handguard look s like.

but I can tell you tell the large Seekins rails and the non Atlas Aero handguards will definitely clear it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 9:10:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Ive just decided to rebuild the upper completely...  no reason to beat around the bush trying to make shit work..
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 1:54:30 PM EDT
[#8]
OP I think I understand your problem.  You're using a taller gas block (because its a massive bull barrel) along with a straight tube type hand guard.  I bet you also have a straight gas tube, rather than the more common one with a step-down bend.  For comparison, here are the SLR sentry blocks, .936" is the far right one, see now much taller it is overall in order to fit the bull barrel:

The problem is your hand guard, since it's just a round tube, it lacks the "channel" most modern free-float tubes have for the taller top of the gas block to sit in.  If you had a non-bull barrel, and thus a bit shorter gas block, this wouldn't be an issue with your tube, but you found a combo that won't work.  With that thick barrel and gas block, you need a rail that has an internal channel down the top, usually located where the top rail is (which you're tube doesn't have).

This isn't your combo of parts, but these pics illustrate how you need a hand guard with the top rail and a "channel" under it where there is more space for the top of the gas block to go.

Link Posted: 12/9/2018 10:14:16 PM EDT
[#9]
^^^^^^^^ CORRECT.   Im getting ready to buy some new parts so we will see what happens.  Going on a vacation first though..
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 10:12:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top